Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2016 11:48:17 PM EDT
My daughter decided that the passenger side fender on my 73 Dodge Coronet needed to be dented.  Dented is a mild word, more like mashed in and I'm not even sure how the mounting holes look because I'm afraid to look.  It seems that the Coronet did not share body parts commonality with the more popular cars that year.  It also seems that junkyards have long since crushed the old cars.  Any ideas where else to look because my web searches are drawing a blank?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How old is the daughter??
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]
15.  Just like it was for me, the first one will be for free.  I put a big ass dent in the same exact car when I was about a year or so older than her.  Also thinking of just waiting on a fix until she moves on to another vehicle so she can remember what not paying attention does every time she sees it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I spent some time looking and didn't find anything.
According to Wikipedia, the Plymouth Belvedere, Plymouth Savoy, Plymouth Satellite, Dodge Charger, Plymouth GTX and Plymouth Road Runner are related. Doesn't mean the parts will match but you might get lucky on one of them. Sounds like the Plymouth Satellite might be the best bet.

AutoMetal Direct might carry fenders for some of them. I'd also broaden the search for '71 and '72 models as that's the introduction of the new body style.
You can set up a search on Ebay and hope that one will show up.
I'd also use one of the parts services that puts out requests to junk yards.

You might as well pull it off and see what else you'll need. Probably the inner fender shield, trim, etc.
Lets see some pics.

Here's a 73 Plymouth Satellite fender for a two door on Ebay. Pricey buggers.

Here's one for a four door.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll get out tomorrow when there's light and take some pics.  Pretty sure the panel is done.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
yearone.com
if they don't have, submit a post on Moparts forum
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
And pics of the fun:

To be fair, the round hole was there from trim or a logo being removed and the rubber gasket that was in the front gap went away a long time ago.

I have no idea how that tag light survived.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Not that bad really. That's fixable for sure. Considering how much replacement panels are, I'd bump that out.
You'll probably never get a good match on the paint though. Though a good painter might.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That's better news.  For some reason I had figured that once it mashed that top fold or got that small rip in it that was it for the panel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That doesn't look to bad to me. I was expecting much worse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you check tonysparts.com?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That doesn't look to bad to me. I was expecting much worse.
View Quote

I'm a bit concerned about what I might not be able to see.  Notice how it's pulled loose from the bottom front panel and how it's over enough for the hood to not close all the way?  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Easy fix.  I would weld a flat plate on that body line, hook a come a long to the plate and pull it out. Remove plate then hammer and dolly as needed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You might try DVAP here in AZ.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You might try DVAP here in AZ.
View Quote

Found a driver's side, closest I've seen yet.  Gonna have to put in a parts request.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#15]
That is not much at all.
Very repairable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll keep those suggestions in mind.  It's not getting replaced or repaired though anytime soon.  Kid neglected to tell me about strange sound from right front wheel for a few weeks.  Now the bearing sounds like a rock tumbler.  If she keeps driving, she can drive what looks like a junker if she wants to treat it like one.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Now the bearing sounds like a rock tumbler.
View Quote

THAT repair will only get more extensive and expensive if you let it go.

Bearings and races are usually not that bad.
Spindles can be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, the bearings are getting replaced.  It's the not telling me about the noise when it first started that has me peeved.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Those old cars used thick enough sheet metal that they can be worked. Finding a good body man that can actually work it may be the hard part anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top