Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 7:25:58 AM EDT
Getting ready to close on a place that will be a total rehab while living in it.

Do you have a preference in start area? Want a clean bedroom / bathroom first to have a nice place to crash or do you prefer to finish out your kitchen area first?

I'm sort of leaning towards just doing all at once and living with a hammock and coleman stove on a separate porch area for awhile so I don't need to clean up, seal off areas while turning expensive wood into saw dust.

All my previous reworks were always one room at a time while working full time but now I have time to dedicate to a full time project.

Interested in your thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't envy you.  I would probably secure a good bedroom/bathroom first that can double as a place to get away from the construction for down time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't envy you.  I would probably secure a good bedroom/bathroom first that can double as a place to get away from the construction for down time.
View Quote

Ya, worst part is we will be in the rainy season soon and I need to repair a bulkhead at the same time or I will lose a lot of soil to a canal as well.

I'm a glutton for punishment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Single or family?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Single or family?
View Quote

Single
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Single
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Single or family?

Single

In that case, if it were me I'd probably start with the bathroom, especially if it isn't fully functional in the current state.  Having a place to shower and clean up (not to mention the other uses) is pretty critical. If you were married, I'd have probably said "kitchen", because trying to feed a family without a functional kitchen is a nightmare - btdt.

If everything is functional, albeit ugly or whatever, I can't really think of much reason to rank any particular area higher than any other.  Only suggestion then would maybe be to plan out the whole affair as much as possible, and try to buy as much of the material (sheetrock or whatever) all at once, to capitalize on any quantity discounts.

Setting up a temp living area on the porch doesn't sound like a bad idea, or even borrowing a camping trailer from a friend for a while.  Sounds like you've done this before, though, so none of this is probably new news.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought a house last year, wasn't anything wrong with the house but lots of things we wanted to change indoors and outdoors.  Our philosophy was to tackle the things that would get worse over time.  Do those sooner so they're easier.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be much easier being single!

My wife and I bought a 1860 farm house total gut when we first got married.  I finished one bathroom and then we moved in. ( wife is quite the trooper )
This worked out pretty well.  We ended up doing dishes in the bath tub for the first 6 months, but it wasn't too bad,

Forget the coleman stove, and get a propane grill with a side burner for $200-300, that's all you need to cook meals.

Do the rest of the house as you would any major reno.. gut, electric and plumbing, any hvac,  drywall and then finishing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Borrow/buy cheap camper & do all at once
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT

I bought my first house almost 2 years ago and I immediately got my kitchen sized up and figured out how I wanted to re do it, while I waited for cabinets and counters, I tiled the floors in living room kitchen and hallway. painted and retrimmed the bed rooms with new baseboard moldings and hung new doors throughout. The bathroom is still how it was when I bought the house.  I never touched it. It was in fine, working order and not THAT bad.  It's the only room in the house that didn't get touched.  

It's a proven fact that once your living in the house, you will be less likely to get shit done.  If i were to do it again, I'd do it the same way.  Do the bathroom last if it's fine to shit and shower in and not falling apart.   Get the BIG projects done. Bathrooms can be done in a weekend.  Kitchens flooring painting and other shit will take a month or more depending on what materials your using and how you redo things.

I bought in September, started living in it November, didn't fully move in until December.  And I was working 55hrs a week or more and doing some 3rd shift too. And it's a 1000sqft ranch. I did all the work myself. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bought a house last year, wasn't anything wrong with the house but lots of things we wanted to change indoors and outdoors. Our philosophy was to tackle the things that would get worse over time.  Do those sooner so they're easier.
View Quote

I like this line of thinking, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

QFT

I bought my first house almost 2 years ago and I immediately got my kitchen sized up and figured out how I wanted to re do it, while I waited for cabinets and counters, I tiled the floors in living room kitchen and hallway. painted and retrimmed the bed rooms with new baseboard moldings and hung new doors throughout. The bathroom is still how it was when I bought the house.  I never touched it. It was in fine, working order and not THAT bad.  It's the only room in the house that didn't get touched.  

It's a proven fact that once your living in the house, you will be less likely to get shit done.  If i were to do it again, I'd do it the same way.  Do the bathroom last if it's fine to shit and shower in and not falling apart.   Get the BIG projects done. Bathrooms can be done in a weekend.  Kitchens flooring painting and other shit will take a month or more depending on what materials your using and how you redo things.

I bought in September, started living in it November, didn't fully move in until December.  And I was working 55hrs a week or more and doing some 3rd shift too. And it's a 1000sqft ranch. I did all the work myself. Food for thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT

Damn, you are good. Last bathroom I did took me several weeks to do flooring replacement, build shower stall, tile, grout, add sink, lighting, exhaust, door etc.

You available for temporary work at a reasonable price? (I'll provide beer)
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Be aware that the two most expensive rooms to remodel are the bathroom and kitchen.
Start off with the other rooms because you'll get more done for far less money.
Save the kitchen and bathroom for last, unless they're non-functional at this time.
By doing it this way, you'll have a large part of the house finished, while not blowing your budget or taking on a large project.
Start at the shallow end and then move to the deep end.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Be aware that the two most expensive rooms to remodel are the bathroom and kitchen.
Start off with the other rooms because you'll get more done for far less money.
Save the kitchen and bathroom for last, unless they're non-functional at this time.
By doing it this way, you'll have a large part of the house finished, while not blowing your budget or taking on a large project.
Start at the shallow end and then move to the deep end.  
View Quote

I like this but I think it's too late. I noticed half way through my double flip with half twist off the 3 meter board the septic tank guys were pumping the tank into the pool, so even if I "stick the landing" I'm pretty well assured to be in "it".

Kitchen is unusable, I have one bathroom that I can save for last but company might object to using them with the walls torn down unless they are European.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Assuming everything is still functional, I would start with master bath & bedroom (& set up the bedroom in the living room).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top