Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 11:08:52 PM EDT
I had my septic tank pumped yesterday morning as I was due according to the county.

I could not be home, but the septic company left an invoice.  Nothing noted other than agreed fee.

Tonight I got a message from them that my pump was not working and sewage was going to back up into my house.

1) if the pump was not working there is an alarm.  I have not heard it.
2) the pump tank is down a hill about 10'-15' below my basement.  I think sewage would be leaking out of the top of the tank and I have not noticed
3) why would they be messing with my pump tank? Or how did they notice?
4) I don't believe in coincidences, and am very suspicious

I guess I'll go check it out in the morning.  What should I be looking for?  I'm not familiar with this crap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Around here, when they pump the tanks, they also do a general inspection.

Check the breaker.
Go to the tank, if you float switch has a piggyback plug, plug the pump in direct to rule out a bad float.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
So the control panel had no alarm, but showed the pump was running

Resetting it didn't change anything and the pump light never went out.

So a visit to the tanks showed that they both had been leaking out the top, not for long, but long enough to turn the nearby grass greener  

I called the Septic company and apparently the driver on Monday reported the problem and a supervisor came out Tuesday to check it out.  They plugged the pump directly in and it didn't work...

So there you have it.  16 trouble free years, I suppose is ok.

I'm not sure if I care the alarm failed or not.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
16 years is pretty good for a septic pump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top