Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2016 7:47:54 PM EDT
I have a 10x12 shed, I want to insulate it as it will be a shed/dog house and want to keep the little guys warm in the winter

so it has 12 feet of ridge venting, and I want to insulate the roof/ceiling, every where I have read says I have to have at least 2" of space to allow air circulation. Is this needed?  Shed is unheated.

so if the 2" of space is needed how do I do that? (Im somewhat of insulating newb though I have done my fair share of interior remodeling)

I was planning on tyvek or roofing felt as a moisture barrier is this a good idea?  I cant find 120 sq feet of tyvek it's all in big huge rolls

I was gonna do R13 rolls on ceiling and walls, but should I just by the foam board and glue that shit up?  

The rafters are 22" apart.

Any help would be appreciated

pic:

" />
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that fiberglass rolls would do a much better job than foam board.. I don't think they make it 22 inches wide though haha
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
3-1/2 fiberglass  with 1" R-board
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

glue it too the ceiling?

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

you gotta a link ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Home Depot has 3 1/2" X 23" wide fiberglass ......Lowe's does not,at least not in my area

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-R-13-Kraft-Faced-Insulation-Batts-23-in-x-93-in-BF11/202585859

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
So go ahead and laugh at me......

should I glue or nail the boards directly to the rafters or cut them and put them between them

again I know a dumb question

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm guessing this shed is similar to mine where you have a ridge vent and then some vents down low on the walls? Are there any soffit vents? I'd assume not.

Some of the constructions guys would know better, but you may want attic baffles between the roof trusses to keep airflow to the ridge vent under the insulation.

As for the walls, fiberglass is nice and easy, but I wonder if the dogs would leave it alone. Knowing how dogs like to lay against walls, you may need rigid insulation and foam board would be perfect. You could also use fiberglass insulation and then put OSB over it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Insulation supports
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
For that, I would put R11 or R13 batts between the rafters and then put the thickest rigid foam sheets that you can get (or willing to pay for) on the underside of the rafters.  Your ridge vent doesn't appear like it's doing much good anyway so I would just block it off with the insulation.  In this particular application, I don't think it's needed.

I would nail it to the rafters with button cap nails.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 10x12 shed, I want to insulate it as it will be a shed/dog house and want to keep the little guys warm in the winter

so it has 12 feet of ridge venting, and I want to insulate the roof/ceiling, every where I have read says I have to have at least 2" of space to allow air circulation. Is this needed?  Shed is unheated.

so if the 2" of space is needed how do I do that? (Im somewhat of insulating newb though I have done my fair share of interior remodeling)

I was planning on tyvek or roofing felt as a moisture barrier is this a good idea?  I cant find 120 sq feet of tyvek it's all in big huge rolls

I was gonna do R13 rolls on ceiling and walls, but should I just by the foam board and glue that shit up?  

The rafters are 22" apart.

Any help would be appreciated

pic:

http://<a href=http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc102/soldier_medic/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160426_165751014_zpsylbfoscq.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

IN case it hasn't been said:  why are you insulating a whole 10x12 shed just for a couple dogs?  Why not make/install a small dog kennel/box and let them sleep in that?  Insulating a 10x12 shed for a couple dogs isn't going to make it any warmer for them, they need a small space to keep their body heat close to them.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IN case it hasn't been said:  why are you insulating a whole 10x12 shed just for a couple dogs?  Why not make/install a small dog kennel/box and let them sleep in that?  Insulating a 10x12 shed for a couple dogs isn't going to make it any warmer for them, they need a small space to keep their body heat close to them.

View Quote

+1

Build a doghouse. Forget about insulating shed. Store tools in shed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I built a shop and wanted more than an 8' ceiling...so, I ran 2x4's across the roof trusses, similar to your design. My goal was to keep airflow onto the roof sheeting.
Not an expert but it has worked well for me. Little .ppt to better explain.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So go ahead and laugh at me......

should I glue or nail the boards directly to the rafters or cut them and put them between them

again I know a dumb question

View Quote

I would put any insulation between the rafters. If you go with the design I posted above, foam panels can be held in place with a simple string across the rafters...same for insulation if you don't staple it. I've seen folks glue the foam to the ceiling. Again, not an expert.

Also, if you want to put a finish on the look, local outlets around me have paneling remnants for less than $5 a sheet...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Setting on the ground or elivated?

Field mice in the area?

Adding heat?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top