Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 10:42:15 AM EDT
Truck is a 1990 K5, 6" lift, np205 and 44 front axle.
Long story short, lost caps on front driveshaft u joint, replaced it. Since then I have had a crazy vibration/noise I cant pinpoint. (video below)
Asking around about this issue someone pointed out I dont have a CV at the transfer case end... Now this wasnt an issue at all the whole time I have owned the truck but they have a point...
Here is what I have: (more or less)

Here is what I probably need: (yes I know thats a year driveshaft)

Now, could I just buy this and a ujoint and call it a day?

here is the video of the noise... It feels like there is something seriously loose like washers or marbles or change or something in the cab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds to me like something is hitting or rubbing. I'd take a quick look and see if any of the new parts are not clearance enough.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds to me like something is hitting or rubbing. I'd take a quick look and see if any of the new parts are not clearance enough.
View Quote

nah nothing hitting, its been this configuration for years now. its a definite metallic "ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" kind of sound.
edit: the only thing that could be hitting would maybe be the linkage. Ill double check it today if I can.
im thinking its driveline vibe transferring up to the case or splines on a shaft barely touching the edge of something while it is turning, that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the slip yoke phased properly?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
When I damaged my k5 driveshaft I damaged the transfer case.

Had the same issue, new transfer case solved it...

Np208?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the slip yoke phased properly?
View Quote

Presuimg. It's never been apart. I've rotated 180 a few times just for kicks, no change at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I damaged my k5 driveshaft I damaged the transfer case.

Had the same issue, new transfer case solved it...

Np208?
View Quote

205. I haven't had it anywhere to damage it.
This all started when I changed the ujoint closest to the transfer case. Never had any problems before.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not remove the shaft, see if the noise goes away, and if so take the shaft into a driveshaft place and have them balance it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not remove the shaft, see if the noise goes away, and if so take the shaft into a driveshaft place and have them balance it?
View Quote

Noise still can occur going downhill on a steep grade at highway speed but never on level ground at any speed as soon as the shaft is back in its back just like in the video.
I live in a small town and I don't know of a driveline place in the area. That's why I was asking about the part in op. It was mentioned to me that the tcase u joint is getting stress from two different angles which could be causing vibes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Truck is a 1990 K5, 6" lift, np205 and 44 front axle.
Long story short, lost caps on front driveshaft u joint, replaced it. Since then I have had a crazy vibration/noise I cant pinpoint. (video below)
Asking around about this issue someone pointed out I dont have a CV at the transfer case end... Now this wasnt an issue at all the whole time I have owned the truck but they have a point...
Here is what I have: (more or less)
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/savage022/shaft_zpsx5vpvcmm.jpg
Here is what I probably need: (yes I know thats a year driveshaft)
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/savage022/DSC_0249-1_zpsoga6ee0f.jpg
Now, could I just buy this and a ujoint and call it a day?

here is the video of the noise... It feels like there is something seriously loose like washers or marbles or change or something in the cab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2tmQ6gPYR0
View Quote

The truck in your photo has an incorrect driveline angle.  The ujoint should match the rear of the transfer case, same angle.  No angle at all and your joint will not lube and may vibrate.  Your photo shows a constant velocity or double cardan joint. Take your truck to a driveline shop and have them make a proper tube for it and use name brand ujoints.

There may be a pin that fell out and is inside the ujoint cap causing noise and imbalance. I have had a pro shop do it to me once. They also re-tubed it too short.  Never let the new guy build driveshafts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
"205. I haven't had it anywhere to damage it.
This all started when I changed the ujoint closest to the transfer case. Never had any problems before."

I'd look at the u-joint closest to the transfer case. Logic dictates that if it wasn't doing it before and is now, you did it.

Pull the caps off your new u-joint and see if all the needle bearings are there. Was the part sealed when you got it from the parts house? Make sure it rolls smoothly. Did you grease it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Noise still can occur going downhill on a steep grade at highway speed but never on level ground at any speed as soon as the shaft is back in its back just like in the video.
I live in a small town and I don't know of a driveline place in the area. That's why I was asking about the part in op. It was mentioned to me that the tcase u joint is getting stress from two different angles which could be causing vibes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, the same noise/vibration happens sans driveshaft? It's not the driveshaft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
if your thinking of upgrading the driveshaft check out tom woods driveshafts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"205. I haven't had it anywhere to damage it.
This all started when I changed the ujoint closest to the transfer case. Never had any problems before."

I'd look at the u-joint closest to the transfer case. Logic dictates that if it wasn't doing it before and is now, you did it.

Pull the caps off your new u-joint and see if all the needle bearings are there. Was the part sealed when you got it from the parts house? Make sure it rolls smoothly. Did you grease it?
View Quote

yes to everything. I put the ujoint in, no pins fell to the side. its greased. part was new and in good condition.
part in red, exactly what I am thinking. its just the rule of working on vehicles I just cant figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wait, the same noise/vibration happens sans driveshaft? It's not the driveshaft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it only happens at fast highway speed going downhill and coasting 2wd. my tranfer case has the correct fluid level in it. This part makes me think its just something loose rattling around and the normal shaft vibes amplify it.
I dont think anything inside the case could be damaged or out of commission, I have not offroaded the truck but one time and I never used 4wd and it was just dirt road.
I am thinking the linkage could be a tad loose and is going to be my next inspection, it is alot of cotter pins etc so, ill try and rule it all out. I had to pull the transfer case last summer to replace the seal in the adapter between transmission and transfer case. Transmission fluid---->tcase--->ground.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if your thinking of upgrading the driveshaft check out tom woods driveshafts.
View Quote

for sure! too pricey right now though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

it only happens at fast highway speed going downhill and coasting 2wd. my tranfer case has the correct fluid level in it. This part makes me think its just something loose rattling around and the normal shaft vibes amplify it.
I dont think anything inside the case could be damaged or out of commission, I have not offroaded the truck but one time and I never used 4wd and it was just dirt road.
I am thinking the linkage could be a tad loose and is going to be my next inspection, it is alot of cotter pins etc so, ill try and rule it all out. I had to pull the transfer case last summer to replace the seal in the adapter between transmission and transfer case. Transmission fluid---->tcase--->ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only happens in 2wd coasting?
Sure sounds like you lost a pinion bearing to me.

You should still have a cardan joint next to the tcase though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
coloradok5.com

You will find everything you want to know and more.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Yoke lost a few spines? That is what it sounds like to me or something down the line transmission , transfer case.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, here are the two scenarios.
-shaft installed, 4wd high, above 10 or 15 mph or so.
In 2wd with shaft in going downhill (steep grade) at highway speeds.
A pinion bearing does seem plausible. There is no slack in the driveline but possible weepage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
coloradok5.com

You will find everything you want to know and more.

View Quote

been a member there for years. 9/10 I can come here and get more responses and help. sucks but its true.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yoke lost a few spines? That is what it sounds like to me or something down the line transmission , transfer case.

View Quote

It definetely sounds like a spine/grind sound to me too.
my thought was to place my camera closer to the transfer case then close to the front axle, see if anything is louder one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#22]
One other thought...
4LO
N
2wd
4 High

The pull from 2wd to high isnt very far, sometimes I think it seems to short. it is very fluid and goes right into 4 high though.
Does this sound right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One other thought...
4LO
N
2wd
4 High

The pull from 2wd to high isnt very far, sometimes I think it seems to short. it is very fluid and goes right into 4 high though.
Does this sound right?
View Quote

On a 205 yes, I'd also check the output bearings in the T case.  

Question, hubs in or out?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One other thought...
4LO
N
2wd
4 High

Does this sound right?

The noise in question occurs in both hub positions. It seems to have no effect on it at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The noise in question occurs in both hub positions. It seems to have no effect on it at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One other thought...
4LO
N
2wd
4 High

Does this sound right?

Can you verify that the front hubs are in fact released and not making the front axle turn, just trying to narrow down where the vibration/ noise is coming from.

ETA, I've had front hubs hang up and cause the front axle to spin causing the same issue you are describing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can you verify that the front hubs are in fact released and not making the front axle turn, just trying to narrow down where the vibration/ noise is coming from.

ETA, I've had front hubs hang up and cause the front axle to spin causing the same issue you are describing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One other thought...
4LO
N
2wd
4 High

Does this sound right?

Good question. I guess I'd have to tinker with them to verify though. I can't remember, if I have one locked and not the other will the driveshaft turn? I can't remember if it will just put power to the unlocked hub or to the locked one. I'll try here in a bit and see what I get. I think the hubs are okay though.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
alright. I locked in the passenger hub.
spun the front shaft, I could hear the hub click in. Tells me it was unlocked. Ill repeat for the other side. Other side, same thing, clicked in.
I was shaking and shoving everything I could, nothing seems lose. pinion seems just fine too.
I did find one big concern though, the angle of that shaft the distance between the yoke and the ubolt holding the ujoint cap on is like 1/8" of an inch. Its real small.
To me it seems like if the suspension dropped just a tad there would be contact. Im not saying thats the cause of all this but its certainly a concern.

this leads me back to my question in OP
What is stopping me from buying this adding a ujoint and seeing where I am with all this?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
alright. I locked in the passenger hub.
spun the front shaft, I could hear the hub click in. Tells me it was unlocked. Ill repeat for the other side. Other side, same thing, clicked in.
I was shaking and shoving everything I could, nothing seems lose. pinion seems just fine too.
I did find one big concern though, the angle of that shaft the distance between the yoke and the ubolt holding the ujoint cap on is like 1/8" of an inch. Its real small.
To me it seems like if the suspension dropped just a tad there would be contact. Im not saying thats the cause of all this but its certainly a concern.

this leads me back to my question in OP
What is stopping me from buying this adding a ujoint and seeing where I am with all this?
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/savage022/cardone_zpsi1gikorg.jpg
View Quote

You'll have to have a shaft built with a complete double cardan joint.  It's not just a matter of the part pictured and another u joint.  There is a bit more to it.........

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I see your point and concede.
Next option then is just a new driveshaft altogether then huh?
Honestly I feel like it's something in the shaft itself. I know I can get the vibe/noise in 2wd downhill at highway speed but I could live with that vs 10mph and up regardless.

eyeballing this now. yes the year is right.
link
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]
new unjoints in the front shaft. same issue.
Has to be a bearing in the transfer case at this point.
How hard is the front output shaft bearing to swap? Its looking like the case has to be taken apart...
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
What exactly happen when you lost the u-joint caps, did it hit the ground and are your sure the drive shaft is in phase and balanced?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What exactly happen when you lost the u-joint caps, did it hit the ground and are your sure the drive shaft is in phase and balanced?
View Quote

it rattled in the tcase yoke, banging on the floorboard. not awful though, i wasnt going fast just enough to get a thump... thump... thump...
the two halves have never been apart so i dont think thats my problem. No way for me to tell if it is balanced. I have to presume so since I never had a problem up unto this point.
I cant see any damage to the driveshaft itself at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top