Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2016 3:51:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, I need a new lawn mower.  I currently am using a Craftsman 42" 24hp mower that I bought new 17 years ago.  Last year the transmission went out and I was lucky enough to find a transmission at the junk yard.  It is pretty well worn out, so I need to replace it before it's dead.  I started looking, but am not sure what's even any good these days.  I am looking for something like 24hp 42" deck, that I can bag with and will likely also get a snowblower for it for year round use.  I almost bought a husqvarna last summer when I my tractor was dead just was not sure after reading some online reviews.  I want to spend around 3k tops with the bagger.

I have looked on-line at the Simplicity Regent series, but that's going to be more than my budget, and I really am not sure I want to buy another entry level tractor.  The Cub Cadet stuff looks good.   I like the XT2 LX42" EFI.  I was looking at the Husqvarna YTH22V42 last year, but the online reviews don't sound to good.

So please help me make a good decision.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm also in the market.

After a lot of research and reading, I'm set on the John Deere D130. 22hp, 42" deck. Will be purchasing around beginning of July.

Really depends on your budget.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm also in the market.

After a lot of research and reading, I'm set on the John Deere D130. 22hp, 42" deck. Will be purchasing around beginning of July.

View Quote

I have not looked into Deere.  I always thought they where overpriced in the past.  Would you mind what made you pick this and what was your second choice?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Deere is the only tractor I'd buy in a lawn/garden size. The ones from an actual Deere dealer are better built than big box stores. Solid front ends, strong transmissions, stronger PTO's etc.

I have a Bolens eliminator from the 80's. Fucking kick ass machine
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have not looked into Deere.  I always thought they where overpriced in the past.  Would you mind what made you pick this and what was your second choice?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm also in the market.

The D100 series are competitive (price-wise) with most riding mowers.

I wanted a 42-48" deck and hydro-static drive under $2K. I looked at zero turn, but the ones even close to my budget don't get very good marks. Would love a Hustler commercial, but way outside by budget and I can't justify the cost.

The Deere is a solid machine with good support (based on my research). I also looked at the Husqvarna, but i'm set on the Deere.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought about looking around for a slightly used Simplicity? Just found one for my sister, a Broadmoor with 170 hours on it, with a rear bagger for under $1,000.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Flip the hood and look at the model number.
If the first 3 letters are MTD it is a cheapo.

I replaced the steering gears twice on my Huskee in 9 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Flip the hood and look at the model number.

If the first 3 letters are MTD it is a cheapo.

I replaced the steering gears twice on my Huskee in 9 years.
View Quote
I currently have a 2002 MTD LT18. Still running strong. Had to replace the belts, battery, and oil and that's about it.

Solid mower for the price.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Cub Cadet LT1050 two years ago, I hate the thing, it seems like a piece of crap.
Nothing has gone wrong with it yet, but I am thinking I wont get 5 more years from it.

The bagger unit is complete garbage (gets clogged constantly) and keeps bouncing off the mounts..
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I looked at Simplicity Regent last night. I am about 5 miles from this dealer and the owner lives about a mile from my house. His price was pretty high however, but it's a nice tractor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I bought a Cub Cadet LT1050 two years ago, I hate the thing, it seems like a piece of crap.

Nothing has gone wrong with it yet, but I am thinking I wont get 5 more years from it.

The bagger unit is complete garbage (gets clogged constantly) and keeps bouncing off the mounts..
View Quote

When we bought our house we bought one of these from the previous owners.  At least 10 years old with 350 hours on it.  It's OK at best.  No major problems with the mower.  I've had to replace all 3 deck spindles, put reinforcing rings on all 3 spindles and welded up some cracks in the deck.  All of the rollers on the deck are shot and the front of the discharge side on the deck is bent in.  Haven't got around to fixing that yet, going to take some heat.

Hoping to get a few more years out of it then get a nice Kubota Commercial ZTR.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
we have a cub cadet (from about 2005) currently. i'm not super happy with it, but it does the job. i believe the older cub cadets were much better
i worked on a neighbors craftsman lawnmower when he tore the mower deck off it. I rewelded the frame back together. i wasn't super impressed when i saw how it was put together.

i haven't worked on any, but i'm pretty sure my next mower will be a john deere
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you install blades designed for bagger use?  Running full throttle?  Mine will clog when my blades get dull and worn out or the grass gets too high.  

That being said, OP needs to shop for something with a better high end motor.  When I bought mine Kohler engines were the recommended engine.  10 years later I'm discovering they are hit and miss.  Find something with a Honda or Kawasaki engine according to my thread a couple weeks back on mower engines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes i have the "bagger blades" on, motor was always full speed, I would mow late in the day so all the dew was off the grass and I had sprayed silicon in the chute tubes.

So I completely jinxed myself.
I went out to mow with the Cub Cadet today, it won't move at all.
I have a whopping 32.2 hours on the machine.
I think the "TuffTorq" trans axle crapped out..  
There is dirt, old grass and fluid muck mix packed all over the end of the right axle.
What a POS

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes i have the "bagger blades" on, motor was always full speed, I would mow late in the day so all the dew was off the grass and I had sprayed silicon in the chute tubes.

So I completely jinxed myself.
I went out to mow with the Cub Cadet today, it won't move at all.
I have a whopping 32.2 hours on the machine.
I think the "TuffTorq" trans axle crapped out..  
There is dirt, old grass and fluid muck mix packed all over the end of the right axle.
What a POS

View Quote

Irony....32.2 hours and your 322nd post

Sorry to hear about your CC issues. I'm just under 100 hours and 10 years on my LT 1042 with the Kohler 19hp. I just had to replace the head gasket due to blowing smoke. Everything else has been flawless.  Now that I have said that, it probably won't move out of the garage tomorrow when I mow the grass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm also in the market.

View Quote
My hand was forced...D130 went on sale, went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Will be delivered on Tuesday, will post some notes/pics then.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
You won't be disappointed in the D130. I have the D105 granted its a different machine single cylinder vs twin ect. I love it. The feature that I found I love is the ability to cut in reverse. Doing my research it looks like most of the home garden level riders do not cut in reverse. One thing that I did learn from experience is the engine on the D105 takes 1.5 quarts of oil. I was not able to find it in the manual or easily online it took a call to the support phone number.  But calling they are great and always willing to help.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
So what make of engine is in the D130?  I looked on line and all I could find is a photo of the engine with a big ass JD sticker on it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42dxls/960430203/

This line of Husqvarna has a fabricated deck like commercial mowers not a cheap stamped steel deck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have looked at them all.  Still have not made a choice yet.  Went to the John Deere dealer.  Told him that I was looking to buy a Simplicity Regent and what set his product apart.  He said it's green.  Yeah, what are the benefits, etc. over another brand.  He didn't really have anything to say.  Needless to say, I left.  I always kinda wanted a John Deere, but geez, what a let down.  That salesman was an asshole.    I found a Husqvarna YT46LS with a Kohler motor that I really like or the Simplicity Regent, although all they have are Briggs motors, so not sure and the steering wheel seems flimsy.  I am leaning towards buying the Husqvarna YT46LS, but waiting for the local dealer to get his Cub Cadets in so I can check them out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42dxls/960430203/

This line of Husqvarna has a fabricated deck like commercial mowers not a cheap stamped steel deck.
View Quote

My dealer told me that fabricated decks don't bag that well. I like to bag my yard, so that's a concern. Does anyone have any input on this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So what make of engine is in the D130?  I looked on line and all I could find is a photo of the engine with a big ass JD sticker on it.
View Quote
B&S

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I will say this for Deere I have 20 yeAr old one and can get parts in a few days.  Several online dealers that sell factory parts.  It's just getting old enough to wear things out that local dealer isn't going to stock.  But I can get it.    Mine has a B&S engine and nice thing is easy to get maintance parts for then since they are so common.   Also lots of aftermarket options for things like belts.  I think the D series are a bit lower end then the X series. But if I didn't have to cut a lot I might go for it given the price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You won't be disappointed in the D130. I have the D105 granted its a different machine single cylinder vs twin ect. I love it. The feature that I found I love is the ability to cut in reverse. Doing my research it looks like most of the home garden level riders do not cut in reverse. One thing that I did learn from experience is the engine on the D105 takes 1.5 quarts of oil. I was not able to find it in the manual or easily online it took a call to the support phone number.  But calling they are great and always willing to help.
View Quote

The no cutting in reverse is to pander to the heavily litigious nature of our society.  

That issue can be remedied very quickly and easily by just bypassing the safety switch.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I purchased a Craftsman just over a year ago and love it.  The "turn tight" feature is very nice, has the ability to cut in reverse, powerful enough...

From what I could tell, all of the Craftsman mowers were made by MTD or Husqvarna, with most of the lower-tier models being MTD.  Mine was made by Husqvarna and is very similar to this one from what I can tell:

http://www.craftsman.com/grid/p-07120390000P?adCell=apiGrid_6_07120390000P
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]
If I had it to do over I'd buy a lightly used commercial unit personally or step up to one of the JD X series. Lowes is now selling a Hustler labeled zero-turn that I've looked at a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a John Deere lawn tractor that fell apart. It had a Kohler enginethat ran well, but everything else had some issue over the years. It had a plastic engine cover that cracked in half when my wife bumped into something. That cover was going to cost about $400 to replace. Car parts are cheaper than that! We started looking at mowers and quickly zeroed in on zero turn mowers. Even the cheapest ZT was made with better materials than any of the tractor style mowers. We settled on a 42" Hustler Raptor and it has been awesome. It was little more than most of the tractors we looked at, but seems to be simpler design and made with heavy duty hardware. It has a 23HP kawasaki engine that sounds like a motorcycle when running.  I live on a one acre lot and my can cut the grass in one third the time it took her with the Deere Lawn tractor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#28]
So I dropped my Cub Cadet off at dealership on Thursday.  I bought this from a family business and not a big box store.

I told the service person the tractor would NOT move forward or backward and that there was fluid all over the rear axle.
The look on their face said they knew what was wrong before they even moved her lips.
They said Cub Cadet had a bunch of bad transaxle seals and they have replaced about 20 sets so far and it shouldn't take long because they are good at changing the now.

I drove around the back of their shop to drop it off and there must have been 100 of customers newer Cub Cadet tractors out back.
This is a small dealership in the middle of a rural area, I think it was every tractor they have ever sold sitting back there waiting for repair.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my JD X300 dropped off Saturday and love it.  I have a whopping 1.4 hours on it now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top