Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 12:26:44 PM EDT
Streichers has a deal going, Glock rear night sights for $9 each. Two tritiums per sight.

If I can get the tritium vials out, I can put them in those throwaway white dot sights that come on new handguns.

Any cement/epoxy recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Silicone
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Loctite bearing retainer

Link?  I want tritium vials.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Streichers clearance section.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ordered one of each.  Now, how will I go about getting the tritium vials out?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Still waiting for the rear sights to show up, but I did find out the epoxy on Heine Straight 8's dissolves at 350 in the oven.  Being they are made by Trijicon I would imagine all of their night sights use the same epoxy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the sights in today, and it seems the reason they were on sale is because they are all but useless.  They are factory Glock sights and I don't see any date code like Trijicon uses, but side by side comparison of these next to a set of 2001 dated Trijicons leads me to believe these are at most 2-3 years newer than that.  Hopefully Streichers has a decent return policy otherwise I'm stuck with $30 worth of useless rear sights.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got the sights in today, and it seems the reason they were on sale is because they are all but useless.  They are factory Glock sights and I don't see any date code like Trijicon uses, but side by side comparison of these next to a set of 2001 dated Trijicons leads me to believe these are at most 2-3 years newer than that.  Hopefully Streichers has a decent return policy otherwise I'm stuck with $30 worth of useless rear sights.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback.  When I saw rear sights for a G20, I was about to jump as I have a G20 myself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I think mine will work fine as a rear sight.

edit - yeah, they are identical to a 2010 production set. Same color and all so it is an apples to apples.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I should also mention these are differant construction than Heinie sights.  Instead of the hole being a tight fit to the tube, these use a very large hole with a white epoxy holding the tube and making the white outline around it with a clear plastic plug.  I put the brighter set in the oven as I did with the old sights and at 350 degrees all that happen was the clear plastic plug softened up and came out.  I soaked the now exposed tube in brake cleaner(first thing I had on hand) and after an hour the white epoxy seemed a bit softer when probed with a pick but the vial broke with a very slight amount of pressure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting. Why did you dry to destroy the epoxy? Just drill a hole in your place of choice and cement it in whole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The epoxy is holding the tritium vial into the sight housing.  I wasn't really putting any pressure on the epoxy when the vial broke, more just light prodding to see if the epoxy had loosened.  Either way I wrote to Streicher's and they said these are very old stock sights they are trying to get rid of.  Instead of having me return them, they just refunded my money and said they had newer sights for a different price.

ETA:  Got the clear lense off the second tritium vial, carb cleaner overnight and it came out easier than the first side in the over.  Brake cleaner didn't seem to make it past the lense but it started to soften up the white epoxy on the broken side.  Trying a soak in brake cleaner now, I can't really find any info on what Meprolight uses for this epoxy to figure out what will break it down the best.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Should have just gone straight to acetone.  About an hour soak on the second set and the clear epoxy lense came out, then another 15 minute soak and the sapphire lense came out.  Now it's back in to soften the white epoxy around the tubes and I'll have 3 barely lit near useless tritium tubes to play with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#13]
lol!

I might have some time this weekend. My silicone cement came in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top