Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 6:12:20 PM EDT
I have a few axes I'm trying to clean up and make usable.  I'm not trying to turn them into show pieces.  Some of them have some nice manufacturer marks on them, so I'm looking to mainly focus on the bit of the ax.  I don't have a big tool budget and I already have what I need to sharpen them.  Should I use an angle grinder with a flap disc first or could I instead use an orbital sander with 80 grit paper.  I haven't seen any flap discs finer than 100 grit.  The orbital may take longer, but I'd rather not spend the money on an angle grinder if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a coke or vinegar soak to remove surface rust. I use a 80 grit belt to set the bevel and clean up the edge and finish with a combination whetstone for a fine edge.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Flap disc on an angle grinder if it's just a little rust. Heavy pitting, try the vinegar soak, probably take 10 days or so.

I found this head for $5 at a yard sale and spent some time with the flap disc, quite a bit of time actually. Don't get aggressive on the edge. You don't want to heat it up it will become brittle and useless.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Vintage axe geek here. Just want to caution you about ruining the temper with overheating. There are axes all over Ebay that people have ruined by trying to "clean them up a little".
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shaped the bit of the axes to an appropriate angle for chopping.  Now I just need to smooth out all the small facets from the file and polish out the scratches.  I have read that a flap disc is first and then use an orbital with progressively finer sand paper.  Could I lessen my tool cost by increasing my time cost if I use an orbital with 80 grit instead of an 80 grit flap disc?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a few axes I'm trying to clean up and make usable.  I'm not trying to turn them into show pieces.  Some of them have some nice manufacturer marks on them, so I'm looking to mainly focus on the bit of the ax.  I don't have a big tool budget and I already have what I need to sharpen them.  Should I use an angle grinder with a flap disc first or could I instead use an orbital sander with 80 grit paper. I haven't seen any flap discs finer than 100 grit.  The orbital may take longer, but I'd rather not spend the money on an angle grinder if I can avoid it.
View Quote

HF has 120 grit flap discs, I use them all the time.  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-120-grit-flap-disc-69604.html

Just take it easy when getting near the edge, it's easy to over heat it, not good if you do.  I use these on some of my machetes for quick and easy cleanup of the edge.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Roark Supply for discs. Much cheaper than buying them local, and a much bigger selection.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Use a big file, its really quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top