Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2016 1:00:12 AM EDT
For vehicle tires.  Is SLIME actually worth using or is it just another gimmick?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean, for patching tires? Yes, it's OK for that but if you put too much in, it'll throw your tires out of balance at speeds of over 45 mph.
I've sealed nail holes with it, and used it to get to the tire shop, but not much farther.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
As a permanent fix? No.

For keeping a can in your car to repair a puncture long enough to get to a shop? Sure. I'd rather have a spare tire, but Slime and a 12V compressor will at least get me to a shop.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a permanent fix? No.

For keeping a can in your car to repair a puncture long enough to get to a shop? Sure. I'd rather have a spare tire, but Slime and a 12V compressor will at least get me to a shop.
View Quote

If it's a minor leak, why not use the slime in a can? I keep a can of slime, a patch kit and a Viair compressor in my truck (3 is 2, ya know?)  plus a spare tire, for whatever level of repair needs to be made.

If I must change a tire I will do so, but if I can air it up enough to get to the tire shop I'll do that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have steel wheels and use slime, they can rust, I've seen it many times.
Even with aluminum/mag wheels it makes a nasty mess that you have to scrape/scrub off.

There is zero reason to put that crap in your tires unless it's an emergency, to get you to the tire shop.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree not to put it in automobile tires for no reason, but it is great stuff for just about ANY type of off road vehicle.
TRUE STORY time..

2007 my friend and i are riding power lines in upstate ny.
We are at least 15 miles out from our trucks. I get a flat. Immediate panic sets in. Fortunately houses were close by off the trail and i snagged a guy my age  very close to where i broke down working in his garage. After asking for help, he pulled out plugs, rubber plug cement and a compressor for me. Got me going back on the trail. I thanked him profusely and tipped him a $20.

I nervously limped slowly back to the truck. After that incident, my buddy and i both put slime in all four tires as a preventative. It helped more than once. When on the trail and you see slime on the outside of a tire and then it stops, that means it sealed a puncture and is doing its job.
Most guys on atv/4 wheel drive forums do the same.
In summary, off road tires, definately, on road, only in an emergency.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I agree not to put it in automobile tires for no reason, but it is great stuff for just about ANY type of off road vehicle.
TRUE STORY time..

2007 my friend and i are riding power lines in upstate ny.
We are at least 15 miles out from our trucks. I get a flat. Immediate panic sets in. Fortunately houses were close by off the trail and i snagged a guy my age  very close to where i broke down working in his garage. After asking for help, he pulled out plugs, rubber plug cement and a compressor for me. Got me going back on the trail. I thanked him profusely and tipped him a $20.

I nervously limped slowly back to the truck. After that incident, my buddy and i both put slime in all four tires as a preventative. It helped more than once. When on the trail and you see slime on the outside of a tire and then it stops, that means it sealed a puncture and is doing its job.
Most guys on atv/4 wheel drive forums do the same.
In summary, off road tires, definately, on road, only in an emergency.
View Quote

I've seen steel ATV tires rusting apart from the inside after running slime for 3-4 years.
All it takes is a good scratch in the paint/chrome on the inside when mounting a tire for it to get started.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just buy a tire repair kit and patch your tires properly?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it in our riding mower and lawn trailer tires.  The honey locusts around here would have me fixing flats after every mowing otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
i had a 4 wheeler tire that would leak around the bead. wouldnt be more than a day and it would be flat. put slime in 2 years ago and filled it up. rode around for a little bit and i havent had to touch it since.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
IMHO, slime isn't a good "preventer" because of the reasons already mentioned. It makes a mess for changing tires (tire shops HATE the stuff) and it can cause other issues.

Get a plug/patch kit. I've had plugged tires on automobiles go for another 20k miles after being plugged (tires were shot at that point and replaced, the plug never failed). If you don't want to mess with a plug/patch kit then carry a can of slime with you for fixing the problem once it arises.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...as most shops will despise you for bringing it in.  
View Quote

My tire shop puts it in my tractor tires for me

Great for off-road (and wheelbarrows too), don't use in a road vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use stans in my bike tires. Less messy and does an excellent job sealing.
View Quote

I use that as well, but I'm not sure they make a version meant for motorized vehicles, although I'm not sure why you couldn't use regular Stans.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I use it in atv and lawn mower tires. If the wheels rust out, I'll buy new, they are cheap. Mesquites eat my lunch around here. The convenience of slime is worth the cost.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd rather have a spare. I HATE that car manufacturers are moving away from even space-saver (doughnut) spares. What if you hit a pot hole and crack a rim? No amount of slime will save you then! Also, slime can cause problems with the Tire Pressure Monitor sensors of some cars, clogging or corroding them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The tire shop guys will hate you forever if they have ot change your tires and they are slimed.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I use it on all of my yard junk, nothing that'll get to 10mph though.  Got a wheelbarrow that came with the house, tire is all dry rotted out, big nasty rust hole around the stem, just a nightmare.  Figured I'd slime it, use it for a winter, then worry about replacing the tire or whatever.  Seven, eight years later the damn thing's still going.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Great in bike tires.
I use a plug kit for my 4 wheeler
Never used it on street cars
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top