Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 7:41:27 PM EDT
Home is 3000 sf.  We used 283 gallons of propane from mid april to december 15, 2015.  (Most of that was cooking and heating water, with some furnace use in april).

THe propane truck showed up on 2/2 and filled us with,.... 218 gallons!

It is a 500 gallon tank.  Ergo, they only gill it to 80%, or 400 gallons to leave space for expansion.  I did NOT keep an eye on the level after the december filling.  It IS at 80% right now....

Is it even POSSIBLE to use 218 gallons of propane when it was 65-70 degrees for 1.5 weeks after 12/15?

Can they BS the meter on those trucks, or are they like a gas station pump?

Furnace is an 80% efficient (Ugh, contractor picked it, not me) Carrier.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
How much did you use last year over the winter?  Or, is this a new house that you haven't had built long enough to know how much propane you use?  

Seems possible but too many variables to say for certain.  What size furnace?  A 3000 sq ft home, assuming built to regular insulation standards, with an 80% furnace....I could certainly see it using that much propane.  Change the variables and it might be too much.  You really need to have known what percentage your tank was before the fill to know if they actually put that much propane in it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My first year heating with propane I was sure there was a leak. Then I did the math and bumped our furnace run time against gallons of propane consumed.  

One gallon of propane has 91,500 BTUs. So divide the BTU rating of your furnace by 91,500 to determine your gallons per hour consumption. In my case 60,000/91,500 = .65 gallons per hour.

My furnace ran for 104 hours in December consuming a total of 67.6 gallons. This is a 93% efficiency furnace in a 1,900 sqft house. Average December temperature was 42.8 degrees outside and 66.8 degrees inside.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]
This is the reason I had a dual fuel propane furnace/heat pump installed in the house I'm building at the moment.  The HP should help keep my consumption of propane down but still give me nice warm heat when it's very cold outside.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 320 gallon tank that we have topped off in the fall. The propane is used for a clothes dryer, gas stove and the gas furnace. (dual fuel heat pump/gas furnace) We used 111 gallons of propane in the 12 month period. The heat pump is programmed to lock out at 35 degrees and switch over to gas (96% AFUE rated furnace) and we are heating/cooling around 2200 sf.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas dryer?

Is it possible that it was warm in April and cold in February?  Thus the Feb. fill took more gallons to fill to 80%?

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Only propane loads are:
- Furnace
- Water heater
- Stove

We moved in on 4/15/2015, so no old data from last winter.

It was filled to 80% on 12/15/15.

It was 80% right before I posted my OP last night.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only propane loads are:
- Furnace
- Water heater
- Stove

We moved in on 4/15/2015, so no old data from last winter.

It was filled to 80% on 12/15/15.

It was 80% right before I posted my OP last night.
View Quote

I'm only guessing so don't really know for certain....but that's probably right.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Based upon your usage April to December(244 days). Your water and cooking use an average of .9 gallons a day. So in the 49 days between December and February you used 44 gallons before adding the furnace consumption.

How many BTUs is your furnace?

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My furnace is a Carrier, Model number 58STA045---16112  It is described on the Carrier website as, "If you live in an area where short, mild winters are balanced with long, humid summers and budget is a primary concern in your decision process, this may be a furnace you'll appreciate."

Basically:

- I don't know the BTU rating.
- THey put the cheapest furnace they could in my place.

Can anyone figure out the BTU rating?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Google makes it sound like your furnace is a 44,000 BTU unit. So your consuming a half gallon an hour. Figure 174 gallons ran through the furnace that's 348 hours over 49 days that's an average of 7.1 hours per day or about 18 minutes per hour.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Google makes it sound like your furnace is a 44,000 BTU unit. So your consuming a half gallon an hour. Figure 174 gallons ran through the furnace that's 348 hours over 49 days that's an average of 7.1 hours per day or about 18 minutes per hour.  

View Quote

44k BTU sounds way too small.  I just had a furnace installed in my house that I'm building (2450 sq ft)and it is a 88k BTU (Armstrong) 95% unit.  

From Google, it looks like this model could be 44,000-154,000 Btu/h.  I suspect that the OP's furnace is in the 100k BTU range and maybe a little bigger.  With a 100k BTU 80% furnace, it is capable of putting 80K BTUs into the house.

I have an 81% efficient garage vented heater in my shop.  It's an 80k BTU furnace.  It's heating 1200 sq feet.  It's a little on the large size but I like to leave it off and then turn it on when I'm going to work out there.  It takes a fair amount of BTUs to bring it up to 55 degrees from 40 degrees.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how much propane my house will be using because I haven't even gotten moved in yet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there some hidden number on a Carrier furnace that will tell me the actual BTU rating?  (Or can it be looked up from the model number.)?

(The link foes not specifically list the 58STA045-16...)

I just reinstalled my 2nd gen Nest thermostat, so it is logging hours run.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there some hidden number on a Carrier furnace that will tell me the actual BTU rating?  (Or can it be looked up from the model number.)?

View Quote

Maybe call Carrier with the serial number?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Check your water heater. Does it run all the time or when it shouldn't?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#16]
From the truck side:

Meters for retail sales (Which is what a consumer is) must be calibrated once a year, same as gas pumps.

Typically* when meters go bad, they go bad in favor of the consumer.

*About 80/20 in favor of the consumer, as the way most* mechanical meters work is small gearing. These gears spin on a tiny shaft, either parts of the gears come off, or the shaft wears down, making the meter turn slower, giving you more product.  The only other way around is if something is wrong with the inlet of the meter, giving it a higher pressure but less volume, thus spinning the meter faster while delivering less product. In a product such as propane - I'm doubting this is very common. The only meters I really see this on is meters for water based product, as they rust up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Check your water heater. Does it run all the time or when it shouldn't?
View Quote

I have bumped it down so, when my tap is at fully HOT, it does not take my fingernails off.

Water heater does not run constantly.

I've gotta say, I wish I had been more dilligent with the builder.  I ASSUMED they would put a decent furnace in the house.  Instead, they (Appear) to have slapped a "Value model" that was intended to be used in a more temperate zone in a much smaller house.

As another person mentioned, I am going to go straight to Carrier.  McCrea Heat & AC has been no help.  They claim the unit is running as it should be, even though more heat goes out the exhaust chimney than out my floor vents.  I should just put a fan blowing on the exhaust duct and heat my house that way...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's a Carrier 45k btu INPUT @ 80% efficency.

So only 36k btu output.

That is killer small for that size home even with the best insulation and I am willing to bet it runs all day even on the mildest days.

Essentially it would never satisfy the thermostat trying to keep up with the heat loss of a 3000sq/ft house.

Can you post a pic of the furnace and model number tag just to confirm that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So only 36k btu output.

That is killer small for that size home even with the best insulation and I am willing to bet it runs all day even on the mildest days.

Essentially it would never satisfy the thermostat trying to keep up with the heat loss of a 3000sq/ft house.

Wow....how is a 45k BTU furnace heating 3000 sq ft?  

To the OP....is the furnace actually keeping your house warm on very cold days?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats waaay undersized
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]
The house we are building is going to be run off propane.

Water (tankless)
Stove
Fireplace
Grill

this is in DFW, how much would y'all expect us to use? I don't have any experience with propane.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The house we are building is going to be run off propane.

Water (tankless)
Stove
Fireplace
Grill

this is in DFW, how much would y'all expect us to use? I don't have any experience with propane.
View Quote

I'll sell you a furnace...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So only 36k btu output.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So only 36k btu output.

That's just nuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top