User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and it might be because I hate people/things that waste my time....and I'm out of patience at the moment dealing with
setting up the R8 3-jaw chuck asembly (you need to mate the R8 tapered shank collar to the chuck) and the damn thing is varying from .005 to .010 out of round.
I've had it down to .003 and figured another light tap on the correct side might help.... nope.  if a light tap is going to send it back to .010 out.. then wth?
am I expecting TOO much from an established product?  you would think quality would go up?  maybe I'm different.

but at this very moment, I will not recommend anyone buying this mill...

unless you like to waste your time getting it set up and/or you have an expectation of reasonable quality (ie: tolerances)

-. Grizzly cant seem to get its shit together in the quality department or the technical document / sales department

its not just this incident, its a combination of all the ones that I've gone through up to this point.

if you want to waste time, make it one where you're spending it making more money to buy a better machine.  if you don't mind tinkering right out of the box
then by all means, get one.

this is not the experience I was expecting based upon what I've read.
View Quote

Man, sorry to hear that RED_5.

What is the return policy on the Grizzly? Is that what you're planning on doing?

EDIT: Hey, page 3!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm so far down this road, I'm going to see it to completion
I've invested too much to throw it all away

I may not be 100% satisfied, and believe me, I will remember this experience going down the road and I will continue to share my experience with others.

update on the mill:

1. spindle is running pretty true.. good enough for me.... 0.0005"

2. the 3-jaw chuck / R8 collet assemby was a PITA.   Best I could do after messing around with it for an hour, was 0.002"

3. the table is pretty flat, if the indicator moved at all, as I moved the table along the x-axis, was about 0.0005"

4. I need to tram the head, but I have to figure out the best method with what I have here... ironically, one of the first projects I
ran across while surfing youtube, was the tramming tool...

5. I've got the handle off the y-axis, trying to figure out why the scale hangs up on the saddle.

all my years in aerospace have me a stickler for doing it right, so it really bothers me to encounter all these problems right out of the box crate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
finally figured a way to tram my head.... had to use my boring bar holder to hold the dial indicator posts (some odd-ball diameter that I didn't have a collet size to use.)

head was way out.  ~0.010"
found the bolts holding the head were not tight.. they are now, got maybe .0005" in X/Y.

got the base of my swivel vise secured to the middle of my table, used an edge finder on the top of the vise and the DRO to do it.

I'm waiting on another test indicator arm before I can accurately align the jaw of the vise; its accurate enough to make chips. so I
think I will do that tomorrow.  

if I remember, I'll take some video
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I was a bit paranoid about speeds&feeds, so I wanted to get as much info as possible so I wouldn't mess up my cutters or do other damage.

I also wanted to track down the proper data for my carbide inserts for my 2" face mills as the more comprehensive speed/feed calculators
want you to insert all kinds of info.

I was able to track down the insert mfg (Korloy and Mitsubishi) and got adequate information, enough to plug into the calculators

the face mill I have, has 4 flutes and based upon the numbers I calculated... my machine wouldn't go fast enough for their optimal numbers (2500 rpm)
and I don't think my power feed could meet the rate either...

so, I went with as close as I could get.  which was 2000 rpm and power feed dialed up to max.

I first cut about 0.002 off the top of a 2x2 6061-T6 block I had.. I know thats not too much, but for the first pass, I wanted to play it safe.

2nd pass was 0.006.

I flipped the block over and decided to go for 0.008.

every pass was easy, no effort expended by the machine, as far as I could tell.  the 0.008 pass did sound different, but it was a considerable amount of more material.
The inserts didn't have a mark on 'em at all.  There were for AL, no coating, code H01.

I did take some video, which I will see what I can tomorrow to get it edited and share.  

I also received a 5C spin index and a 6" rotary table today, so I spent some time cleaning them up.  still have more to clean on the RT, as they cover that thing pretty
good.

side observations....

Face Mill:
I found some 50mm indexable face mills on ebay that were really reasonably priced.  some came with inserts installed.  They're close enough to 2" and use a 22mm
arbor.  A 22mm R8 arbor is easy to find.  Since they were reasonably affordable and changing inserts can be a chore,  I bought 2 facemill heads; one for AL the other for Steel.
changing between the two is only one bolt in the arbor.

Vise:
I  couldn't get a proper seat of the material against the parallels. I could only get one to not move.  I noticed that when closing the jaw, it pushed
the material up.  I did try and keep things down with a deadblow hammer.. this was probably attributed to the material as I was able to do a bit better, but not 100%,
on the opposite side that I milled 2nd.   My better test indicator will be here by this weekend, so I can better dial things in and/or evaluate it for any issues.

Rotary Table:
I researched this quite a bit.  I already had a HF 3" rotary table, but it's pretty limited to the size you can mount on it.  I saw reference to quite a few people using a 6"
and some a 5".   The 5" was hard to find and the 6" is way more common, so I chose this size.  I put the RT on my mill table and I don't think you could go with anything bigger
and still have clamping options.
There are quite a few choices out there actually, and the main consensus was that the Indian made ones are pretty crappy, and the Chinese made ones are slightly better,
relatively speaking.  I bought a Vertex HV-6 (horizontal / vertical), which was made in Taiwan. Look for Accura / Vertex or YUASA as a name and/or Meehanite as the material.  
Of course there are better units out there, but I'm trying to maintain some sort of budget  and went for middle of the road.
I also wanted to have 4 slots in the table and a MT2 center hole, so think about what features you want.  
I didn't get the tailstock or dividing plates.. I don't think I'll need those right away; they're pretty common and should be for some time, so future availability shouldn't be an issue.

if you want to see photos of anything, let me know.. I did everything tonight, forgetting to take photos as I did have the video camera set up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the Updates...i check this a lot, since i;'m going to be using it as a baseline when i get my own, hopefully this summer

ETA:  I was flipping through the ENCO catalog last night, their prices seem reasonable for tooling..although their machine prices for what appears to be the same stuff is higher than the Grizz
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the Updates...i check this a lot, since i;'m going to be using it as a baseline when i get my own, hopefully this summer

ETA:  I was flipping through the ENCO catalog last night, their prices seem reasonable for tooling..although their machine prices for what appears to be the same stuff is higher than the Grizz
View Quote

Enco has some nice stuff.

but....

But... Enco is the Kohls/Bed Bath and Beyond of the machining world (IMHO)
you don't want to buy anything from 'em without a coupon.
They regularly run sales, if you join their email list. 10-20% off or free shipping once or twice a week or so.

The 20% coupon gets things close to and sometimes below what you can find things for elsewhere, so you have to price shop.

if prices don't mean much to you, then go ahead and order from them, they have great customer service and prompt shipping.

if you followed the supplier thread (I'll add a link if I can find it), there are a lot of places that have great service.

Most of my stuff is either price-shopped off ebay, Shars, Enco or KBC.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
here is a quick photo I took with my cell...

this is the 2x2 6061-T6 I faced last night
this was the reverse side, down and back at 0.008"

it's sexy smooth
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good, thanks for the updates.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I put the aluminum block on my surface plate.. measured around  0.0005" or better.

so I'm pretty impressed with that, given I wasn't 100% confident I had the block squared up in my vise properly.

I finished up the rolling base for my hydraulic press today...I put a tray in the bottom so I can put my press plates and jack handles down
below and not worry about them falling off when moving the thing around.

I found a use for the plywood crate the mill came in.. I'm going to make table covers that fit on either side of the vise, protecting the table from tools and
keeping chips out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Red, you mentioned that if you could do it all over again you would get a different machine.  What machine would you go with?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Red, you mentioned that if you could do it all over again you would get a different machine.  What machine would you go with?
View Quote

This will probably turn out to be okay and I really haven't put too much thought into it, but
if I did, I'd probably save some more money and find a Bridgeport (or clone).  Something with better capabilities.

I'm just bent having spent a lot of time trying to fiddle with something that was brand new. But thats just me.  A crusty old timer
I will make the best of this...till something better falls in my lap
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
finally figured a way to tram my head.... had to use my boring bar holder to hold the dial indicator posts (some odd-ball diameter that I didn't have a collet size to use.)

head was way out.  ~0.010"
found the bolts holding the head were not tight.. they are now, got maybe .0005" in X/Y.

got the base of my swivel vise secured to the middle of my table, used an edge finder on the top of the vise and the DRO to do it.

I'm waiting on another test indicator arm before I can accurately align the jaw of the vise; its accurate enough to make chips. so I
think I will do that tomorrow.  

if I remember, I'll take some video
View Quote

Man, that must be annoying. Improper assembly. I guess this is why you tram, right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
The arm for the DRO is really close to the Z-axis handle and before I took off two of the handles from the quill, it was kinda in the way..

So I decided to make a longer arm... I have some square (rectangular) tubing, but it was a little bit bigger than the oddball size from the factory.
I decided to make an adapter  between the OEM mount and the  tubing I had... here is the basic shape after facing

The finished product before assembly.  everything was done on the mill except the tapping, which I did by hand.

Assembled parts

Installed on the mill.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Here are some photos of the Vertex HV-6 rotary table on my mill table
in case you were wondering how much space they take up.

(ETA: there are a few photos on page 4 with the table removed and a note that the 7/16" T-nuts for the G0704/G0759 also fit this rotary table.)

btw; that's not rust, it's just that crappy PITA preservative I haven't finished removing...

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kind of floor mount are you using? I have one of the dolly mounts wuth wheels that Grizzly sells - we rent so no bolting it down.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
did the run-in procedure today.. had to clean and lube all the lead screws, ways and z-axis gearing.  not too hard to do, just takes some time.
run-in takes over 40 min. didn't experience any issues.  although at 2200 rpm, during it's 10 min run, the rpms crept up 20 .. not a big deal.. I didnt
notice any drift on any of the other speeds.

next step will be to finish the floor mount that I'll need to fabricate.  I have the materials I need (~), just need to commit and git-r-done.
What kind of floor mount are you using? I have one of the dolly mounts wuth wheels that Grizzly sells - we rent so no bolting it down.  

Probably not bad for light use.
Bolting down is the ultimate vibration killer.

When we needed a mill and lathe in one of our office buildings we cut the basement slab., installed a 24 inch thick 15 foot x 20 foot slab on bedrock, then bolted to it.

We engineers are weird that way.

You should have seen the slab under out vibration table.
The table itslef was 12 ft x 12 ft.

Took multiple Unholtz-Dickie drivers.

Each one about 5 feet in diameter coil with a 12 inch piston.
Huge water cooled 'speaker drivers.'

Able to exert a couple tons of force each.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I went to edit my videos the other day and encountered a problem with the software (Openshot)
an app I've used many times before, and it was a great program.

Figuring things might be different tonight, I tried again.. no dice.  quite a few others are bitching about similar problems
seems they updated it and it hasn't worked right since.  

So I'm going to look at doing things another way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I was very close to buying one of these Mills. Now that I've seen your experience with it I may look at other models. Too bad because I really liked the grizzly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope you have checked other reviews as well.  I did.. and they seemed to be 'good enough' from what I read..maybe I was reading what I wanted to hear (?).
There were definitely those who suggested a Bridgeport clone... and I would have done that, but everything around me was $5k+ or affordable, but looked like shit.
I still look for one, best one I've seen so far was around $4k.

This mill does seems like it is capable enough to do the things I want, and have already done, but its the damn little things like tolerances being out of whack,...and as you know,
the further down the line you go...the bigger the error is.  Grizzly quality control is not what they think it is, IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was very close to buying one of these Mills. Now that I've seen your experience with it I may look at other models. Too bad because I really liked the grizzly.

I hope you have checked other reviews as well.  I did.. and they seemed to be 'good enough' from what I read..maybe I was reading what I wanted to hear (?).
There were definitely those who suggested a Bridgeport clone... and I would have done that, but everything around me was $5k+ or affordable, but looked like shit.
I still look for one, best one I've seen so far was around $4k.

This mill does seems like it is capable enough to do the things I want, and have already done, but its the damn little things like tolerances being out of whack,...and as you know,
the further down the line you go...the bigger the error is.  Grizzly quality control is not what they think it is, IMHO.

Thanks for all the info and congrats on your new mod duties.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the hits keep on coming....

the parts list for my vise calls out:

#18 PCAP83M CAP SCREW M6-1 X 55

and that is what I was sent.

now that I have the bolts out,  they're different sized

actually M8-1.25 x 40
View Quote

Holy crap... You cant win for losing. These mills sound like a horror show. Hate to say thank you for taking a bullet for me Red but.... Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Crap, that's disappointing to hear
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag since the subscribe button, both the one at the top of the page and the bottom doesn't work for me on this page. They just take me to my subscriptions page. Maybe Grizzly coded this page?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

IKR

some used store goods I could see, but NIB?  

The vise is all boxed up for UPS tomorrow, so I'm w/o a vise.  The work I did yesterday
was clamped to the table.  As disappointing as the results were, it was a good exercise
in the basics.

I've been looking for a Bridgeport/Clone..  think I'll get my taxes done, and roll that interest free 'loan' refund into it.

For those that recommended the Grizzly... well, I guess I'm not lucky.
For those that recommended a Bridgeport... I should have listened  I would have much rather spent time dealing with moving a beast and setting up a VFD...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that man.  I really never would have thought it would have this many issues.  A few for sure, but you are fighting some slop that really shouldn't be there.

IKR

some used store goods I could see, but NIB?  

The vise is all boxed up for UPS tomorrow, so I'm w/o a vise.  The work I did yesterday
was clamped to the table.  As disappointing as the results were, it was a good exercise
in the basics.

I've been looking for a Bridgeport/Clone..  think I'll get my taxes done, and roll that interest free 'loan' refund into it.

For those that recommended the Grizzly... well, I guess I'm not lucky.
For those that recommended a Bridgeport... I should have listened  I would have much rather spent time dealing with moving a beast and setting up a VFD...

Shit...... Bridgeport is NOT an option for me, room is too tight, and even if it wasnt, physicaly getting a "Real" Mill into the space is well-nigh impossible.  im limited to something smaller, i was pretty much counting on that exact machine, and from the youtube videos i thought it was GTG.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at the Precision Mathews models.  The owner seems to do a good job when it comes to CS.  They are pretty much the same machines, but the PM models have a better warranty and supposedly does a better job with QC.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
As long as you treat the chinese machines as a mill kit (not a plug and go machine ) you can be happy with them. you usually have to do some work on them to be sure. (I have owned both a HF mini mill and now a old 2hp mill drill. (the one that is bigger than current production)  I am still in the refining part of the big machine and honestly if I was not moving cross country in 5 years or so I would have a bridgeport.  (and a mini mill for the small stuff. I really liked my mini after I modded the crap out of it. )
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#39]
It pretty much sounds like it was assembled completely wrong.... Downside is that Grizzly doesnt check the machines when they come off the boat, they just stick them in the Whse and ship them when the orders come in.  Still doesnt excuse the runaround though
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#43]
OPs request
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top