Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2015 12:27:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I would use the transition cement, as it is the only one legal here,

Prime the PVC side, but not the ABS side.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your local code.  Transition cement is illegal in Michigan unless outside the building
You can buy an abs threaded fitting, join it to the abs in the wall with abs cement and screw a pvc fitting to it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just use a Fernco or s threaded joint.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your local code.  Transition cement is illegal in Michigan unless outside the building
You can buy an abs threaded fitting, join it to the abs in the wall with abs cement and screw a pvc fitting to it.
View Quote

I like this method if there's room and even like to apply glue at the transition thread instead of tape and dope.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like this method if there's room and even like to apply glue at the transition thread instead of tape and dope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus changing an allowed method into a possible violation.

A Fernco and a pair of T's is often about the shortest.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Marine Tex liquid will work on ABS and PVC.  Just rough the surfaces up with 80 to 220 grit sandpaper.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Marine Tex liquid will work on ABS and PVC.  Just rough the surfaces up with 80 to 220 grit sandpaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

will work
is NOT always the same as 'code acceptable.'

A mechanical joint is always acceptable here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just use an abs trap adapter and a tubular p-trap?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why not just use an abs trap adapter and a tubular p-trap?  
View Quote

There are Fernco adapters made for this exact application.

Why use two when one does the job.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
All purpose is fine.
The solvents used in All Purpose will work for PVC, CPVC or ABS so it can be used to join any of the three or to join any one of the three together with another.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All purpose is fine.
The solvents used in All Purpose will work for PVC, CPVC or ABS so it can be used to join any of the three or to join any one of the three together with another.
View Quote

Check the actual listing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I used all purpose cement to to join ABS to PVC today in fact.  Clean the ABS the best you can, prime the PVC, and glue it together.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used all purpose cement to to join ABS to PVC today in fact.  Clean the ABS the best you can, prime the PVC, and glue it together.
View Quote

Does the cement have an actual listing from a lab for that use?

Without an actual lab listing it is not allowed.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand the code responses, but what are the overall consequences in regards to health and safety, and functioning of the joint and drain?  I believe those answers will further push the reason why there's a code.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand the code responses, but what are the overall consequences in regards to health and safety, and functioning of the joint and drain?  I believe those answers will further push the reason why there's a code.
View Quote

Using the wrong solvent can lead to chances of long term stress cracking on just about any plastic that has a mechanical load in use.

The correct solvents have been tested for millions of hours over temperature swings and under rated pressure.
Or you can hope.

Black water damage is insidious.
Sewer gas leakage is dangerous. At the correct concentration it is explosive and suffocating.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top