Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 10:51:27 PM EDT
I bought a new house with a cathedral ceiling (24 feet) and a plate covering a previously wired box with switch below

for a ceiling fan at the peak.

There is no where to hold up a ladder.

Is scaffolding the only way to do it or is there some other trick?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I owned a house like that for 10 years.   Always wondered.    Never did clean the fan or hook up a light to it, but I did blow off some of the dust with RC helicopters.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Find some place to rent a trestle step ladder. It is like a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
20+ foot A frame ladder rental? God I'd hate to be up there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20+ foot A frame ladder rental? God I'd hate to be up there.
View Quote

I used to do sign installation when I was younger.  We could be almost 20 feet up the ladders, outside, in the wind, carrying a 4'x8' sign up with us, no safety equipment.

That was one of my motivations to get some skills, so that I didn't have to do that kind of work any more.

OP, drive a cherry-picker into your house.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Rent one:

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I should add that I got white carpet and a fussy wife.  That last piece of equipment is a no go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Protect the carpet
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I would rent a scaffold. Then put a tarp down and build the scaffold over it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I should add that I got white carpet and a fussy wife.  That last piece of equipment is a no go.
View Quote

A scissor lift is safest way to do it. Just put some tarps down to protect the carpet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a new house with a cathedral ceiling (24 feet) and a plate covering a previously wired box with switch below
for a ceiling fan at the peak.
There is no where to hold up a ladder.
Is scaffolding the only way to do it or is there some other trick?
Thanks.
View Quote

you can rent a one man telescoping lift from home depot or lowes (at least around here you can) for about $200

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have already utilized this as an excuse to purchase 4 sections of staging.

Or I would have built a stepladder from two extension ladders.

Or I would be dead on the floor.

Too many options.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get some 3/4" ply, lay it down drive it on top.  What every you do you are going to want at least two people, one to hold the fan one to do the wiring and I'd suggest one on the ground to pick up the screws you drop.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get some 3/4" ply, lay it down drive it on top.  What every you do you are going to want at least two people, one to hold the fan one to do the wiring and I'd suggest one on the ground to pick up the screws you drop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1/4" HDF works better than 3/4" plywood and it's a crap ton cheaper..
put it down and use duct tape on the seams, it'll work like a charm..
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
may be time to spring for a little giant skyscraper ladder.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]

How much does that thing weigh, and could you even get it through the front door...
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How much does that thing weigh, and could you even get it through the front door...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A lot and probably.

A 25 ft. scissor lift is 30" wide and 6'7" tall so it would fit through at least one entrance in most homes. There's usually at least one door which is 36" wide and 6'8" tall. However, it weighs 2,700 lbs. which I doubt most homes could handle without damage.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Carpet Protector Film

http://www.amazon.com/KleenKover-Carpet-Temporary-Protection-Reverse/dp/B000GFT7FI

ETA: And it's probably easiest to just find a rental place and get a Baker scaffold.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to own an A frame with a 22 foot ceiling, but I could use the extension ladder to dust the fan once a year and change the bulbs.
Scaffolding is the way to go.  It rents cheap and assembles quickly.

ETA, Didn't think of the Handy Herman or other one man lifts that are out there.  That would be a good possibility too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Scaffolding.  Cheaper and easier than a scissor lift.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]
get me a picture of what were working with. I used to hang crown molding for a living and had to get creative quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#22]
See my recent thread regarding installing a chandelier in a 19 foot foyer. Could I do it myself? Yes. But I would have had to rent and haul the scaffolding, put it up, rig the light, tear it down and return. That would have cost me $100 plus a decent days effort. And I had no help.

or

Call the local electrician and have it done in less than 2 hours and still be at work at 9am for less than $300. That's what I chose.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I will second the hire an electrician, they will have the ladder or scaffolding they need.

Quoted:
I owned a house like that for 10 years.   Always wondered.    Never did clean the fan or hook up a light to it, but I did blow off some of the dust with RC helicopters.
View Quote

I have always done the redneck duct tape the blow gun to a pole and blown off the dust.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top