Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2015 11:39:27 AM EDT
So my entire house has a "swirl" texture laid in plaster over the drywall. When I bought the house I cut a ton of holes to run new LV wiring (CAT5e, COAX, speaker, etc.) and tried to match the pattern but failed miserably. The crevices in the texture keep collecting dust and dander from the dogs as well so I want to get rid of all of it.
Any advice on fixing this??? I was thinking about replastering over the texture or sanding it down since I don't want to re-drywall my entire house, both of these seem like they will take forever or make a huge mess.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my entire house has a "swirl" texture laid in plaster over the drywall. When I bought the house I cut a ton of holes to run new LV wiring (CAT5e, COAX, speaker, etc.) and tried to match the pattern but failed miserably. The crevices in the texture keep collecting dust and dander from the dogs as well so I want to get rid of all of it.
Any advice on fixing this??? I was thinking about replastering over the texture or sanding it down since I don't want to re-drywall my entire house, both of these seem like they will take forever or make a huge mess.
View Quote

Ive had the same problem in my old home. I had two options- drywall over the textured wall, or sand sand sand and then sand some more.

I left the walls as they were
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
A Mexican can match the pattern.  Keep pets outside and fur/dander is no longer an issue.  

Best bet is to sand the finish, which will be a bitch with paint on it.  A good vacuum system sander that has a water filter will be best, along with good containment set up.  Then you can re-texture.  

This is about the point where you call in a couple paint contractors and get some quotes.  It isn't as expensive as you think.  Don't leave up any blinds or drapes in the rooms where they will be working.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be a clue to get more air filtration, or get less dogs.    

Or, re-sheet rock the entire house.

Or, start nailing up paneling.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd re-sheet the walls before I'd sand. I can't imagine sanding that all off.
Remember that all your trim will need to be removed and re-installed if you take the drywall off.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Pay somebody to skim coat the walls.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This is likely your fastest, cleanest and cheapest route with a good result.

No way I'd attempt sanding down the texture throughout the house.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe sand off the high spots then go over with more mud?  I was going to suggest use 1/4" Sheetrock (or is 3/8" the thinnest?). over the top of it.  But your door moldings would be off.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Skim the walls and then perhaps try a knockdown texture.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I know this is the DIY forum, but you should just pay a talented drywall guy to either match the pattern, or cover it up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe sand off the high spots then go over with more mud?  I was going to suggest use 1/4" Sheetrock (or is 3/8" the thinnest?). over the top of it.  But your door moldings would be off.
View Quote

1/4 inch drywall (AKA Sheetrock) is widely available, although may be special order at some big box stores.  It's used a lot in layers to make curved walls.  Door & floor moldings are pretty simple to R&R.  A 1/4 inch thick by about 1 inch wide by whatever length is needed wood shim would probably be needed to raise the door moldings to hide the 1/4 inch drywall, but that isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Depending on how rough the finish texture is I would sand first then skim coat it with mud, repeat, then paint.

Easy, cheap, but labor intensive
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Plaster them, couple guys can knock out a ton of sqft.  Paintable the next day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Depending in the texture 'depth' it can be a real mess to move trim out so it does not get buried in the skim.

In many cases it goes faster to just remove the old drywall and hang new.

Molding is then easily removed, marked on the back for placement and hung back up.

Mud and tape new joints.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top