Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/7/2015 10:56:15 AM EDT
I found this old lathe on CL a few weeks ago.  A fella bought a small farm and this was in the garage/shop when he took ownership.  He had no use for it and no one in his family wanted it so he put it on CL.  I scored the lathe and accessories, a static 3 phase converter and a 4 foot shop light for $550.  Not too bad.  I'm not a machinist, although I do have another lathe and a bench mill, and I am not a mechanic.  I've never really restored or re-finished anything before and I decided it was time.  I needed a winter project anyways.

Here it is in its old location.  

We loaded onto my trailer with a tractor, one end at a time.  Kinda hard on the little tractor, the lathe weights somewhere around 2,000 pounds.  

Here's a few pictures of it's condition upon arrival home.

Once I found the serial number I emailed LeBlond and was told it is a 13" Regal and left their manufacturing facility on 10-31-1950.  It has definitely been used, but I don't think it's been abused.

As I go through this process, if anyone has any suggestions for any step along the way please let me know.  I'm researching as I go and a lot of this will be trial and error.  

Here it is unloaded near the front of my garage after a quick wipe-down.  

Time to start taking stuff apart!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice score. LeBlond makes a very nice lathe for general purposes. I wish I could run into a deal like that. Judging from the pictures, I don't think it will take much more than cleaning up to make hobbyist quality things. Check to make sure rats haven't chewed the insulation off of the wiring.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Protect the name plates/speed charts, careful what you use to clean them, WD40 works good. I have done a few that were in worse shape. that is a good lathe and will clean up nice.

ETA. you can find the missing door handle on ebay

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA. you can find the missing door handle on ebay

View Quote

If you know of something I don't, please let me know! I don't see one on eBay.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a nice find!  Yahoo has some great groups for lathe restoration.  I'm partial to Southbend but I'm sure LeBlond has as good or better groups.  Take photos of EVERY assembly as you dismantle it, if you go that far.  These projects tend to be put on the back burner for years.

With a background in auto body, I went a bit overboard with a Southbend 16".  Sandblasted everything, epoxy primed, filler, sanded, more epoxy then some PPG epoxy paint.  Some areas are so smooth and shiny they look like plastic.

I need to snap some clearer photos...

How it arrived

In progress

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the ways for wear.
Tighten them up slightly at one end and see iff they feed smoothly for their length.

That one is worth a lot of work.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's a nice find!  Yahoo has some great groups for lathe restoration.  I'm partial to Southbend but I'm sure LeBlond has as good or better groups.  Take photos of EVERY assembly as you dismantle it, if you go that far.  These projects tend to be put on the back burner for years.

With a background in auto body, I went a bit overboard with a Southbend 16".  Sandblasted everything, epoxy primed, filler, sanded, more epoxy then some PPG epoxy paint.  Some areas are so smooth and shiny they look like plastic.

I need to snap some clearer photos...

How it arrived

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/rothroq/n_a_zps5608bafa.jpg

In progress

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/rothroq/n_a1_zpse55dc673.jpg
View Quote

If you'd be willing to share your primer and paint that would be great.  I'm wading through lots of restoration threads on PM and everybody has a different opinion.  Some say prime, some say you get less paint chip with no primer, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you'd be willing to share your primer and paint that would be great.  I'm wading through lots of restoration threads on PM and everybody has a different opinion.  Some say prime, some say you get less paint chip with no primer, etc.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...

In progress

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/rothroq/n_a1_zpse55dc673.jpg

I used PPG DP40 epoxy primer with PPG Delstar/Delthane Ultra DAR/DRX80 Hardener, I used some K36 Prima Urethane surfacer/sealer as well.  

I'm not sure if they still manufacture the Delstar/Delthane line.  Without a fresh air supplied respirator, basically you were going to die using this stuff.  Next project, a Bridgeport mill, I'll probably use epoxy primer and some cheap farm implement paint.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The better paints need a frwech air respirator.
There is no filter for them.
If you make a mistake you die.
Think Bhopal, India.

DuPont has a whole line of them sold as automotive paints..
Isocyanate

Unless you goop on primer it is worth a thin coat.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
First thing I would do is have someone check the headstock bearings and see if the ways are true to the spindle. Check to see if the tailstock taper is beat up and clear of rust, how much slack is in the leadscrews, etc. If you do plan on running it on 2-phase, I would scrap the static converter and run the motor on a digital VFD.

Old lathes look awesome in battleship/machinist grey.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Tailstock and steady rest weren't really worth mentioning, but they are off.  

I got the motor control lever off also.  I had to drill the taper pin out of the collar on the end so it would slide through the apron.  

The pins that hold the lead screw and feed rod to the QCGB are also stuck.  I didn't like hammering while on the lathe, so I slid the assembly out of the apron whole.  When the time comes I can put adequate support near where I'm putting pressure so nothing bends.  I don't have anyone to help me most of the time, so there's some improvising going on.

Once all that was out of the way it was time to slide the saddle off after the apron had been dropped.  Somewhere along the way someone welded a support for a shop light on the end of the ways.    Careful grinding smoothed it out enough to get the saddle off and onto a workbench.   Finally making some progress.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice progress.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Before you get too far in, consider this-

You don't know if it runs.  

A lathe has a ton of mechanical stuff that can go wrong, most of which you'll not be able to see without an indicator or some run time, probably both.  Having a beautiful machine is certainly nice, but for all the effort involved I'd want to be damn sure it didn't have any skeletons in the closet.  As an old iron lover I strongly suggest you reevaluate your plan.

One quick check is to mic the flatways to gage wear.  Start on the tailstock end and measure their thickness at set intervals over the bed's length.  Do the vees too if you have a block that will allow it.  You'll also want to see what condition the tailstock is in, how it faces, etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Before you get too far in, consider this-

You don't know if it runs.  

A lathe has a ton of mechanical stuff that can go wrong, most of which you'll not be able to see without an indicator or some run time, probably both.  Having a beautiful machine is certainly nice, but for all the effort involved I'd want to be damn sure it didn't have any skeletons in the closet.  As an old iron lover I strongly suggest you reevaluate your plan.

One quick check is to mic the flatways to gage wear.  Start on the tailstock end and measure their thickness at set intervals over the bed's length.  Do the vees too if you have a block that will allow it.  You'll also want to see what condition the tailstock is in, how it faces, etc.

View Quote

Read and acknowledged.  I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but my motivation is different than most.  I need a project right now and this fell in my lap.  It's fun and stress relieving for me to go out in the shop at night and keep busy for an hour or two. I'm leaning a little bit and if stuff goes sour I can part it out or probably even get my money back as is.  If at the end of this something is terribly wrong with the machine I give you full permission to laugh, point, and say I told you so.  

But back to the topic, I do know it runs, but didn't do any precision measuring on test pieces.   I wired up the 3 phase converter and it goes (well it went, before I tore it apart)  forward and reverse in all gears and the automatic feeds work.  It does have some backlash in the cross-slide but nothing I would consider outrageous.  I popped the headstock cover off and removed most of the oil and inspected every tooth I can see.  Not a chip or even visible wear anywhere.  It has at least been kept well oiled and not shoved into gear while still turning.    There is a .0015" deviation on the flatways from headstock to tailstock.  .878" at both ends and .8765" near the middle across the front way.  Is that considered bad wear?  I can see a grind pattern most everywhere on the ways that I assume is either factory or a professional regrind.

The tailstock is already torn apart so I guess it's too late to check that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Read and acknowledged.  I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but my motivation is different than most.  I need a project right now and this fell in my lap.  It's fun and stress relieving for me to go out in the shop at night and keep busy for an hour or two. I'm leaning a little bit and if stuff goes sour I can part it out or probably even get my money back as is.  If at the end of this something is terribly wrong with the machine I give you full permission to laugh, point, and say I told you so.  

But back to the topic, I do know it runs, but didn't do any precision measuring on test pieces.   I wired up the 3 phase converter and it goes (well it went, before I tore it apart)  forward and reverse in all gears and the automatic feeds work.  It does have some backlash in the cross-slide but nothing I would consider outrageous.  I popped the headstock cover off and removed most of the oil and inspected every tooth I can see.  Not a chip or even visible wear anywhere.  It has at least been kept well oiled and not shoved into gear while still turning.    There is a .0015" deviation on the flatways from headstock to tailstock.  .878" at both ends and .8765" near the middle across the front way.  Is that considered bad wear?  I can see a grind pattern most everywhere on the ways that I assume is either factory or a professional regrind.

The tailstock is already torn apart so I guess it's too late to check that.
View Quote

Good deal!  0.0015" deviation isn't bad, my Monarch was significantly more, 0.004" IIRC.  However where I ran into trouble was near the chuck (duh), the vee geometry was worn a bit.

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mrpete222.  Lots of good youtube learning and some paid programming on how to use your new lathe.  
View Quote

Tubal Cain is one of my favorites.    

This lathe didn't come with a spindle wrench of any sort.  After digging around online I found out it has a L-00 spindle.

An internet search lead me to a fellow on the PM boards who just happens to make these wrenches.  He plasma cuts them out of steel and sells them reasonably.  A few days later I had the wrench, broke the collar loose and removed the chuck, and then lifted the headstock off and away.  The spindle wrench is pictured.  I read that soaking lathe chucks in a molasses solution for a while helps break down the rust, so I'm trying it.  They are soaking and will come out next week.

No turning back now, but it just kinda hit me how much I bit off with this project.   Heading right into winter isn't good, it will really limit my ability to paint with the lower temperatures. My shop isn't heated or insulated.  Smaller pieces can be done in the basement, but ventilation is bad and I can't get the larger pieces in the house.  

I'm waiting on a sandblaster hose right now to clean up the larger panels and the chip pan and possibly the legs.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Made a little progress over the weekend.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Moving right along!  I share shop time with my 5yo, so my projects take much more time. He's a great helper.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Moving right along!  I share shop time with my 5yo, so my projects take much more time. He's a great helper.

CHRIS
View Quote

My daughter is two months old and I very much look forward to her being old enough to come outside and help me with stuff, but that'll be a long time.  I don't know a lot but I want to teach her to be able to do more shop stuff than the average teenage girl.  I'd be light-years ahead in progress but the evenings she's awake and in a decent mood I hang out with her and mommy.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Played around with the steady rest and some paint this week.  It's the Tractor Supply house brand of alkd enamel.  Its called Ford Grey, but it turned out way too white for me.  It's only one coat, so it obviously isn't a finished product.  I'll darken the paint, probably blast the rest clean and try again.  The lighting in most pictures makes some polished areas that look good in person look dark in the photo.  

Before:

After:

I had read that soaking rusted parts in molasses can be helpful in removing rust, and not be as long term corrosive as vinegar, so I tried it.  Soaked this chuck for about a week and a half and it spiffed up pretty good. I'm not exactly sold on it, but its more pleasant than breathing carb cleaner or any of the other numerous chemical cleaners.  I might try an electrolysis bath for the 3 jaw chuck.

Before:

After:

All in all it's just time consuming stuff right now.   Hours and hours of cleaning.  Sandblaster is up and running so soon we can blast some stuff and move into priming and sanding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Heading right into winter isn't good, it will really limit my ability to paint with the lower temperatures. My shop isn't heated or insulated.  Smaller pieces can be done in the basement, but ventilation is bad and I can't get the larger pieces in the house.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Heading right into winter isn't good, it will really limit my ability to paint with the lower temperatures. My shop isn't heated or insulated.  Smaller pieces can be done in the basement, but ventilation is bad and I can't get the larger pieces in the house.  

Drape plastic sheeting down in the paint area and run a portable heater (LP is better for fumes and soot) like a salamander etc inside the plastic sheeted "paint area". You would be surprised just how warm that area can get when it's located inside of a structure like the pole-barn/shop you have. Growing up on the farm we had a 30 X 50 area that was sheeted in with heavy plastic and we ran a single salamander type heater in the winter when working on farm equipment. It would provide a 10-20 degree temp rise easy. If you sheet in a smaller area you could get a real nice temp rise for painting and the sheets will act to help contain the paint spray (if you're spraying)

Quoted:
 It's the Tractor Supply house brand of alkd enamel.  Its called Ford Grey, but it turned out way too white for me.  

Did that cure for you?

I bought some TSC alkyd paint a bit over a year ago. Not only was the color WAY WAY off what it was supposed to be but I mixed according to directions, sprayed it and it was still tacky 1 week later (temps were 70 plus). I returned what was left for a full refund and decided I will never again touch an enamel/alkyd paint product that doesn't have "Rust-O-Leum" on the can. It costs a bit more but it's completely worth every penny saved in stripping and repainting because of wrong color or not curing right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm very pleased with how it cured in just 48 hours. In time it should continue to get harder and then be extremely coolant/grease/oil resistant. I may try to tint it darker and give it another go. If it still isn't right I will just go to Benjamin Moore and have them match a panel.

Tonight I lost two hours dinking around with our old sandblaster. The sand I'm using must be too large and it keeps plugging up the hose between the media tank and the gun, over and over. I sifted it, so it's not clogging with debris or from moisture. I'm not even fooling with it this weekend, I need to put a deer in the freezer instead.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like a big shop OP, why not build a temporary paint booth? Project looks great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like a big shop OP, why not build a temporary paint booth? Project looks great.
View Quote

I may if I decide to spray.  Right now I'm planning on brushing it.  I don't own a sprayer, don't have experience spraying, etc.  You would be surprised the way some projects turn out from being brushed.  They look stunning!

We loaded the bed into the trailer and took it to the car wash for a good cleaning.  It soaked in engine degreaser for a while and cleaned up pretty good.  It saved hours of hand cleaning, that's for sure.

vs

Sandblasting is taking forever.  The original primer and paint was good stuff, whatever it was.  It's literally inches per minute in progress to get it down to bare metal.  I've gotten both pulley cover halves, as well as the other large cover that protects the end of the QCGB, and little odds and ends.  The bed is nearly ready to blast, but that's another post.  

The tailstock assembly is ready for some primer this evening.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
OST  
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I found a guy local to me who has an industrial sandblaster. For some drinking money he's happy to blast big and small parts for me

Also, I made a different type pick up for my small desktop sandblaster. Might be worth looking into changing how yours feeds
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I found a guy local to me who has an industrial sandblaster. For some drinking money he's happy to blast big and small parts for me

Also, I made a different type pick up for my small desktop sandblaster. Might be worth looking into changing how yours feeds
View Quote

The one I'm using my Dad let me borrow.  It's just a roll around gravity fed bin with a funnel bottom.  We've used it over the years for various projects and honestly the sandblaster itself doesn't suck that bad, its just the layers of what I assume are epoxy paint.  It does a good job, it's just really slow.  Painfully slow.  I started using a different media that helps go a little quicker.  

My last prep to get the bed ready for blasting was to attend to this patent tag.  I thought about covering it with sandblasting tape like I did for the ways, but I wanted to try to remove it.

I couldn't get the rivets to budge with any pliers, chisel, wedge, etc so I used a Dremel and cut a slot in the top and tried to use a screwdriver to spin it.  Well, all it did was break off half the top.  I tried again on the half that was left with similar results.  Crap.    I ground it off as carefully as I could and slipped the tag up over the rivet.  I thought I would drill it out but the drill kept slipping off the crown, so I got a little punch to center-punch it and it when I hit it, it drove the (I late found out) screw further down into a blind hole.  Double crap.    SOB is hardened and I broke two drill bits drilling on it and got nowhere.  

Ideas?

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Got a TIG welder?

I've gotten parts that size out with an AC flux wire but TIG is going to be way easier.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got a TIG welder?

I've gotten parts that size out with an AC flux wire but TIG is going to be way easier.
View Quote

No TIG.   We've got an old stick welder and a little MIG.  I didn't really think to try that.

I forgot to mention I tried an easy out but it wouldn't bite.  Now its really in there because I'm sure I botched all the threads.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Mag drill fit in there?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mag drill fit in there?

View Quote

No one I know has a mag drill. If I had a full size mill instead of a bench top I would mill it out. Still might try an endmill in a drill. It can wait though. The holes can always be filled and move the tag a little to the left or right and drill and tap new ones.

I ordered some polishing and buffing wheels of different varieties and I've been playing with different compounds trying to make dull parts shiny again. So far the results are acceptable but not in the "wow" category. Im dropping hints like crazy for Christmas presents got this project. A real buffer, a blasting cabinet, etc.

If anyone has a partial method, wheel or compound they recommend, I'm all ears.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#33]
This is what I used on old axe heads and whatnot.  Works really well.  You want to hit the part with a wire brush when done to knock off any scale that usually wipes/brushes off.  

It can't replace metal that has rusted away but it can absolutely remove 100% of rust.  

rust removal

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No one I know has a mag drill. If I had a full size mill instead of a bench top I would mill it out. Still might try an endmill in a drill. It can wait though. The holes can always be filled and move the tag a little to the left or right and drill and tap new ones.
I ordered some polishing and buffing wheels of different varieties and I've been playing with different compounds trying to make dull parts shiny again. So far the results are acceptable but not in the "wow" category. Im dropping hints like crazy for Christmas presents got this project. A real buffer, a blasting cabinet, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mag drill fit in there?

On the bold, don't waste your time (or cutters), that won't end well.

You should be lapping the flat stuff if possible, especially if it appears to have been ground in the past, such as that tool post spacer.

You're making much better progress than I would by now!

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No TIG.   We've got an old stick welder and a little MIG.  I didn't really think to try that.

I forgot to mention I tried an easy out but it wouldn't bite.  Now its really in there because I'm sure I botched all the threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a TIG welder?

It's not threaded, its a drive screw.

I've gotten tiny taps out of stainless with my shitty HF flux wire by welding a nut to the broken off tap.  I'd be somewhat cautious about applying lots localized heat to cast iron so my suggestion would be to preheat to ~200-300 degrees, cover everything to avoid spatter, and see if you can get lucky with the MIG and an appropriate sized nut.  I'd use a slide hammer to try a straight pull vs. trying to "unscrew" things.  Prior to pulling you might try heating things up again and flow in some beeswax just to give yourself as much help as you can.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've gotten tiny taps out of stainless with my shitty HF flux wire by welding a nut to the broken off tap.  I'd be somewhat cautious about applying lots localized heat to cast iron so my suggestion would be to preheat to ~200-300 degrees, cover everything to avoid spatter, and see if you can get lucky with the MIG and an appropriate sized nut.  I'd use a slide hammer to try a straight pull vs. trying to "unscrew" things.  Prior to pulling you might try heating things up again and flow in some beeswax just to give yourself as much help as you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a TIG welder?

Kroil has been good to me so far for unsticking things.  I might give this a whirl at some point.

Last night it was raining cats and dogs when everybody else went to sleep.  I'm not sandblasting inside the shop, no way, no how.  It's done in the back corner of the driveway, usually.   Always one to redneck engineer, I broke out a pop-up and deployed it at a low height and dragged everything to the back door and commenced to sandblast for a couple of hours.

I almost got the entire chip tray and coolant reservoir blasted clean.  Another hour tonight and it should be ready to prime.

I started tearing down the compound but didn't have a pin wrench to pull the dial on the front.  Darn, an excuse to buy a new tool.  Should be here tomorrow and then I can finish taking it all the way apart.  When the compound is fully extended forwards and you look up inside it from the bottom there are remnants of wasps/dirt dobber nests I've gotta get out, then prime and paint.

I had looked inside the gear box right after the machine got home but last night I drained some oil out so I could better inspect the gears.  Very carefully and slowly each gear was spun a complete revolution and I cannot find a single nick or chip on gear tooth inside the entire box.  Anything in the pictures that looks like a chip or ding is just reflection off oil.  When you grab the spindle with both hands, one on each end, and wiggle it back and forth, up and down, there is NO movement whatsoever.  With my current skill level, I think I will just leave this alone.  Maybe pull the handles for polishing and painting, but there's just no need to risk screwing something up.  For being 65 years old, I think it looks fantastic in there.  I've seen some photos of headstocks that would make you cry.  Thankfully this one has at least been taken care of on a basic level.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice. I redid a SouthBend that was my Grandfathers. I took it completely apart, cleaned, primed and repainted it. I didn't sandblast as there was no rust. Google is your friend, there are a ton of lathe restos online.

Good find and have fun!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#38]
A pic from under the hood of mine-

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nice. I redid a SouthBend that was my Grandfathers. I took it completely apart, cleaned, primed and repainted it. I didn't sandblast as there was no rust. Google is your friend, there are a ton of lathe restos online.
Good find and have fun!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Good find and have fun!

We'd love to see some pictures if you have any. The more the merrier. It's extra cool that it was your grandfathers. I was hoping this one would be a '44 when I found it, the year my dad was born, but it's a '50.

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/Cole2534/media/IMAG0334_zpsu3wgdl98.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o639/Cole2534/IMAG0334_zpsu3wgdl98.jpg</a>

It looks good too.

Did you say you had a Monarch or a Sheldon, or something different?  I can't remember. Feel free to post up full pics.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't take pics, it was over 10 years ago, I don't think I even had a camera.

My Gramps was a machinist and during WWII he was on the outer edge of age+machinist so he stayed home and built stuff. He had the lathe in his basement workshop and made extra money making parts for the war effort in the evening and whenever he was off work.

He also built a live steam engine, about 7 feet long, had tracks in the backyard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, consider this thread, and project, done.  

I was removing the handle on the half nut shaft (hammering out a taper pin) and broke the shaft, which is an all-in-one shaft and cam for the two half nuts.  A replacement from LeBlond is $919.  Yes, $919.  

I will watch eBay and the PM board for a while to see if I can find an apron, but the chances are slim as there really aren't many of these left.  I'll probably part this out and find another project.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can you post pics of the break and shaft?
View Quote

This is what I had on my phone from last night.  I don't have one of the broken off end, but it's just a piece of shaft broken off in a handle.  

Front view, broken off inside this hole:

From the back.  You can kinda see the cam if you look between the half nuts.

#8 on the schematic.

Without being able to turn the cam, the half nuts are pretty much stuck in place.  I cannot get them to close, and they won't open any further.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Thats probably fixable.

Be a shame to part out a lathe in such good condition.

ETA:  You can access enough of the back side of cam to make a tool to rotate it.  Once you get it all out, drill, pin and weld it back up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thats probably fixable.

Be a shame to part out a lathe in such good condition.
View Quote

This.  Machines are almost like living things.  It would be a shame to let it die when it can be saved.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It looks good too.

Did you say you had a Monarch or a Sheldon, or something different?  I can't remember. Feel free to post up full pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1151.photobucket.com/user/Cole2534/media/IMAG0334_zpsu3wgdl98.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o639/Cole2534/IMAG0334_zpsu3wgdl98.jpg</a>

It looks good too.

1944 Monarch 12CK

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#48]
I finally got it out!

It's outa my skill range, but somebody's gotta be able to fix it or make one like it. If I had a rotary table I might attempt to mill one.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Put some of the lathe back together and turn a new one?

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Put some of the lathe back together and turn a new one?

View Quote

I have another lathe. How the heck do you cut the cam "channels" with a lathe?

You wanna cut me one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top