Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought I'd get the cabinet outside for a bit today and continue stripping.

Just about done w/ the stripping and can move on to filling in some seams. Then I'll work on laying down the paste wood filler to fill in the grain.

Pretty much looks the same at this point I guess but here is a pic.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Will be ordering some new decals shortly

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yesterday and today I did a bit of work filling in the grain. Unfortunately I ordered natural color filler when I first started doing this so it comes out way to white. I have to work with it a bit to get a better color to it before I am happy. It's getting there.

Luckily with these shots you can't see it

I did some seam filling as well and will add some pictures shortly. Things will look a little different when I start to lay down some stain and some toner.

Thanks for being patient.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Edisla, another excellent thread and excellent job.

A little Watco oil, boiled linseed oil or tung oil and some 600 grit sanding will fill the grain and overcoat your filler with perfectly matched wood coloration.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Put down a light coat of stain before I move forward w/ the toner.

Will be using the Sharpie to draw in the darker lines along the edges.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
While I was trying to get home to get some more work done this thing fell into my car

RCA 87K for another thread...some day

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Made up a new felt piece for the back of the escutcheon the other day. It isn't the prettiest thing but nobody will see it anyway. I used an original broken up one from either this build or a previous one to make a template.

Laying down the toner to the base.

Tape and paper removed. Looks ok.

Got all the rest of the toner done right as the rain came. I needed to get back outside for better lighting. I don't care for this shot using the flash but it was getting dark. I hope to get the decals and clear coat on tomorrow if weather permits.

So I got the decals and the missing knob recently and just ordered the grille cloth tonight. It is a diamond pattern and should look like this - http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/003.34494846_large.JPG

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I needed to fill in a missing piece on the back so I cut a chunk out of this block and formed what was needed.

Came up with this

Going in!

LIKE A GLOVE!!!

Glued in and will work on sanding and color blending later

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking good!

Speed
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]
After the decals applied and some test fitting.

Debating if I want to redo the decals. They look good in this pic but at the right angle you can see the transparent borders. I'll probably not risk it and just let it go. I could end up screwing something up.

Here are the new screws and bushings that hold the chassis down.

They go into these holes. 3 of the 4 original bushings were still stuck in there.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Time to put some new feet on.

Old

New

You can also see where I tried to blend in that missing piece of wood. Nothing pretty but it does look a little better. At least when a camera flash isn't on it Mainly did it for structural integrity I guess. Hey, it's in the back anyway.

In case you were wondering I usually leave the insides original and just wipe them down. Looks like I have some further cleaning to do.

Here is the new antenna wire holder installed.

Short wave antenna mounted back up under the top.

She is coming back together
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
If the grille cloth comes in this baby will be finished in the next couple days :)

I'll then run it on and off for the next week before I hand it off to the new owner.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any reason you replace the tone caps? I ask because I restore guitar amps of the same vintage and we typically only replace old dried electrolytics in the power supply. Some people swear up and down they can hear when the caps have been replaced....my ears are not that decerning. Great work by the way. If you need any parts I have bags and bags of stuff I have pulled out of Hammond organs.
View Quote

Inter-stage coupling caps can fail and take out tubes.

300 V is painfully standard.  It will really wake you up.

Resonant caps for tuning may be far from their desired value.

This is not audio frequency till the detector output.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If the grille cloth comes in this baby will be finished in the next couple days :)

I'll then run it on and off for the next week before I hand it off to the new owner.

View Quote
How much do you charge for a restoration like this, if you don't mind me asking.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How much do you charge for a restoration like this, if you don't mind me asking.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far I have not charged a thing.

The last one I gave to one of my wifes co-workers (41-280) and this one is going to a buddy of mine. I just ask for them to give it a home and enjoy it.

So to this point I have not charged anyone. I might if asked to do a job but will visit that if that ever occurs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The last one I gave to one of my wifes co-workers (41-280) and this one is going to a buddy of mine. I just ask for them to give it a home and enjoy it.

So to this point I have not charged anyone. I might if asked to do a job but will visit that if that ever occurs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's a hobby for you then, that's cool.  Doing it for profit would probably take some of the fun out of it anyway.    

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Love these threads!

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Cloth still not here yet :(

While I wait I keep looking at this RCA I picked up and now I'm dying to get into it

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cloth still not here yet :(

While I wait I keep looking at this RCA I picked up and now I'm dying to get into it

Stay tuned.
View Quote

I see what you did there.

Great thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, nice work,  I did a Zenith 10S566 last year.  Rubber wire, what a drag, don't want to hijack, but here's a pic.

And my next project 1951 Zenith 19" Porthole TV set.  

Here is a pic of the TV

Here is the Raster

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Grille cloth arrived so it's time to get busy.

Here is the board the cloth gets mounted on. It still had some old cloth on it and whatever else so I sanded down lightly after this pic.

Here is the cloth and the high tech setup I'll use to glue the cloth to the board. This is a reversible cloth and I'll be using the more gold side toward the front.

Checking things out before I glue things together.

Glued and added some weight. Use whatever you can find

That is all for now
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Grille cloth trimmed and ready for install

Installed

Speaker installed

Antenna installed

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Well the last thing I had to do was connect the speaker wire. So that means it's...

FINISHED!!!

Next to its siblings

Kicking back this morning with a cup of coffee and listening to some Big Band Orchestra

Video of it playing

ETA: I'll use it over the next week to make sure it is ok and then hand it over to my buddy that I am giving it to.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome doesn't seem to be a strong enough word to describe that my friend!      
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks

Sorry it took so long.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks

Sorry it took so long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Sorry it took so long.

+1

Apologize for nothing.  We owe you a debt of gratitude for your fantastically good threads here on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful work, thanks for letting us follow along.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
+1

Apologize for nothing.  We owe you a debt of gratitude for your fantastically good threads here on ARFCOM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Sorry it took so long.

+1

Thank you.

I'm not perfect but I do what I can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh and when you have 3 Philco's in one room you have to let them play together.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Glorious, that is one lucky friend!

Speed
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#32]
That is cool as hell

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Well done!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for sharing all your hard work. It was wonderful watching your progress.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top