Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2015 3:44:15 PM EDT
I'm trying to wire a relay into the power to a PW on My 1050.

I've built a bracket, and installed a limit switch over the Lee de-capping die, so that when it get pushed up, it will shut down the PW.

I went to the local electronic supply shop, and they sold Me a NTE R14-11A10-120 relay,
Relay

with a R95-110 8 pin mini socket base.
8 pin socxket base

It lists poles 7 and 8 as coil, 5 and 6 as common, 4 and 3 as normally open, and 1 and 2 as normally closed.

I currently have it wired  with the hot/black wires to 7 and 8. White/common to 5 and 6. and the microswitch wired as a normally closed switch to 1 and 2.

When I plug it in, the red rocker switch light come on, and if I lift the MS, it goes off. However if I toggle the direction switch to FWD or Reverse, the relay just buzzes.

I've searched till My eyes are bleeding, but cannot semm the find exactly what I want, any help greatly appreciated .

I don't know if there is an electrical specific forum, couldn't find it if there is.

Thanks for the help, Dave.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Normally open and normally closed should not be connected to a switch.

The switch should be connected between the power supply and the coil connections to turn on power or turn off power to the coil.

The normally open and normally closed connections are for whatever you want the relay to be hooked up to use as a switch to turn on and off based on the relay.

If the relay is not energized, ie the coil does not have power, then the normally open contacts are open as in a switch that is not thrown, and the normally closed contact are closed like a switch that is thrown

If the relay is energized, then the NO and NC contacts reverse. The NO contacts close like a switch and the NC contacts open like a switch that is off.

ETA. I do not know what a PW or a 1050 is, so I don't know what you are trying to do.  But you should not have a switch in either the NO or the NC contacts. They are the switch.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Connect the limit switch (NO) inline between the power and the coil contacts so that the coil contacts are energized when the limit switch is closed.

Then connect the power that you want to interrupt on the PW to the normally closed contacts.

In this configuration, you will have power to the PW ( what ever that is ) until whatever is moving hits the micro switch. The microswitch will energize the relay and the NC contacts will open interrupting power to what ever you are using that is moving.

This way the relay is only energized when the limit is reached, which results in a lower duty cycle for the relay.

Just remember you need to make sure the coil and the contacts ( NO and NC) are rated for the voltage, AC or DC, and the current that you will be using on those contacts.

Also you can not power the relay with the power you are interrupting. It needs to be a power source that is always on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope this helped. If not more details on exactly what you are trying to do would help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]

I think op means, 1050 = DILLON 1050 reloading machine......  PW is an auto drive...so you don't have to crank the handle ???????????

Mach explained how to wire the relay.

brb with MS paint attempt on my part

a relay is just a big switch that is controlled by a smaller switch.

this way, you don't have 120VAC switch on top of you LEE die.

ChevelleDave,... Is this what you are trying to do ???

so if the LEE decapper pin moves up, from a bad 223case, it stops the machine ??????

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That is exactly it. Do I need to pull power to the micro switch?

I reposted and have a thread in reloading, can You post that diagram in the reloading forum thread?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is exactly it. Do I need to pull power to the micro switch?

I reposted and have a thread in reloading, can You post that diagram in the reloading forum thread?
View Quote

Looks like you already did LOL

....just leave a quarter on my desk

you should have posted those photos in this thread too.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not plagiarism, I gave You credit.

Thanks for Your help though. The picture really helped Me to "see" it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
For Those Who may care, here is a link to the carnage.

People BEATING on My SKULL
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

]I went to the local electronic supply shop, and they sold Me a NTE R14-11A10-120 relay,
Relay

This part number is for a 120V AC relay.   If that is what you bought then it is controlled by line voltage and a wallWart won't be needed

I currently have it wired  with the hot/black wires to 7 and 8. White/common to 5 and 6. and the microswitch wired as a normally closed switch to 1 and 2.

The power to energize the coil should be between 7 and 8 ( like black on 7 and white on 8).....    The output of the coil is from Common to NC   So you should use 1 and 5 OR 2 and 6

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top