Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 12:05:19 PM EDT
I have sediment collecting in the aerators and screens/filters throughout the house. I've isolated the source as coming from the water heater. The dishwasher and the hot water inlet of the washing machine get clogged, but the cold side of the washing machine does not. I replaced the anode in the water heater today and noted the same color material on the old anode. The anode is aluminum and has grey/blue material on it. The water heater was installed in June of 13. There is a water softener in the house. Here are a few pics of the old anode.

It looks to me as though this anode still has some life left in it. But I replaced it anyway in an effort to alleviate the sediment problem. Is there anything abnormal about the anode given the limited information I've supplied?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a rusco 200 micron hot water filter on my recirculating system because of annode particles. I have a mini tank on my tankless heater and the annode went into all my screens. I change it every year. Changing your annode will extent the life of your heater
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing that has me scratching my head is that we didn't have a sediment problem until after we replaced the water heater.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blow down your tank once a month at a minimum.

AKA: Hook up a hose and flush it for a minute or two.

Install a good whole house filter downstream of your water heater.
View Quote

Remove the crappy plastic drain valve.
Have a 3 inch bronze nipple with a ball valve handy and screwed together. Put the hose adapter on the valve also.
Not a  brass nipple. BRONZE.
Valve open.
As fast as you can with feed water off unscrew plastic and screw the nipple in and then close the valve.

Once a month hook up a hose.
Open the valve all the way with feed water ON.
Run about 10 minutes while stepping on the hose repeatedly or bending it to stop and start flow.
You want the agitation.

Close the valve, unscrew the hose.
I cut a large block ('cinder block" to create a 'cover') to place over the valve and nipple.
Beats banging it and snapping it off.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Why trap anything?
Just get the largest clear bore on the drain you can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why trap anything?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why trap anything?

Its on the the output line. flushing will help but this will prevent the sediment that isn't flushed from reaching the screens on the faucets

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Electric or gas?

This is the element and annode from my 4 gallon mini tank after 2 years. I try to change the annode every year and when I do I descale the element in vinegar.  If you can handle the annode you could probably clean the element every few years. When it gets crusty its less efficient.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its on the the output line. flushing will help but this will prevent the sediment that isn't flushed from reaching the screens on the faucets

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why trap anything?

Faucet screens are child's play to remove and clean.
Why would you care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The dishwasher screen on mine you have to take apart the selenoid valve to get to the screen.

I remodeled the bathroom also which has 6 sprays and 2  heads and I felt the filter was easier to clean.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The dishwasher screen on mine you have to take apart the selenoid valve to get to the screen.

I remodeled the bathroom also which has 6 sprays and 2  heads and I felt the filter was easier to clean.
View Quote

The dishwasher is the pain in the ass. Mine is the same as yours. Remove water inlet valve and disassemble to clean the screen/basket.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Electric or gas?

This is the element and annode from my 4 gallon mini tank after 2 years. I try to change the annode every year and when I do I descale the element in vinegar.  If you can handle the annode you could probably clean the element every few years. When it gets crusty its less efficient.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/LEON1982_2007/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131123_165952_zpsofikx48o.jpg  
View Quote

Neither. Geothermal, but wired for electric in case the geothermal takes a dump.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
You have a water softener. Use a zink anode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top