Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 3:28:20 PM EDT
Ok so I have 2 questions really.

First, can arfcom recommend me a good interior door manufacturer?  I would prefer a solid core door mainly because I want to cut down on sound transmission as much as possible in the house.

Second, I've never replaced interior doors before.  Assuming the framing, dimensions and everything is fine, can I just unhinge the old and slap the new one on?  There are a couple of doors where the framing is in bad shape so I think I'd rather have a pro do those.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say framing, are you talking about the door jamb, or the actual studs and headers? I'm assuming the door jambs, but I do have to ask.

You can buy just the slabs and hang them on the existing hinges. You can trim solid core doors on the top and bottom to make them fit, if needed. Hollow core doors can't be trimmed much because it's typically a thin piece of wood on the ends and hollow, or honeycomb cardboard, inside.

Replacing the entire jamb assembly isn't that hard. Just make sure to measure it right. Put the new pre-hung in and level, plumb, and square it, and you're good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top