Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2015 3:26:06 PM EDT
Arfcom plumbing/remodeling experts, I will be gutting a bathroom and have decided to replace a 30 year old builder's quality 30"x60"steel tub. What is the best type of bath tub to replace it with? I want something that will still look good for a long time. I will be putting up tile for the surround if that matters. From my basic research, the general opinion seems to be either cast iron or acrylic. It appears a lot of people say cast iron, however it will be going in on the second floor of my house and I've heard the floor might need to be reinforced, not to mention bringing a 300+lb. tub upstairs seems like a PITA. Are acrylic tubs fine, or should I just do cast iron and be done with it? The easiest route would be to just have someone refinish the original steel tub. I will be doing this by myself if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Hire an experienced professional to refinish your cast iron tub.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with cast iron if it were my own home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Copper.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've just started building my house and I plan to install 2 cast iron tubs.  Aside from the weight, I think they are actually easier to install.  We are looking at the Kohler tubs.  

I had acrylic in my last house.  They were ok but I really don't like acrylic tubs.

If you're putting in the effort to remodel your bathroom, I wouldn't be refinishing the tub.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The OP doesn't have a cast iron tub according to his post.  It's steel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pardon me, I made a huge error.  Let me fix that.  

Hire an experienced professional to refinish your steel tub.

I have a fiberglass tub here where I am staying.  It sucks.  I would never buy one of these.  Acrylic is soft, too.  

What you get with a new steel or cast iron tub is a ceramic coating which you can scrub clean.  That is a huge advantage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top