Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 11:58:16 PM EDT

I recently purchased a home and have a problem light switch. I am not sure where to start trying to fix it.

The light switch panel has three switches. One switch turns on a single recessed ceiling light above my bar, the other switch turns a light plug on and off, and a third switch turns on a single recessed light on my patio.

The switch that activates the plug is being used to power my 70 LCD tv, a Dish hopper router thing and a small single sound-bar (through a surge protector). I rarely use the light above my bar, and the outside light is only used if I am grilling.

The problem arises when the TV is on. If I switch the outside light on it blows the breaker for the light above my bar and kills the TV. Both the plug and the light above the bar are dead, but spangly the light outside continues to function. I then have to tromp outside and reset the breaker (though I am still hunting for which breaker it is, the two times this has happened I have managed to get everything up and running again).

Questions- I know nothing about electricity
-Is a TV and a sound bar in conjunction with a light being turned on enough to blow the breaker?  I see it obviously is enough but should it behave in this way.
-Can I blow a breaker an unlimited amount of times?  SHould I be worried when this happens? Or, just reset it and continue on with life.
-What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I know enough about electricity that I would probably call an electrician.

And yes, breakers can wear out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given that you know so little, I would call an electrician or a friend that may know enough about how a circuit works.

Odds are the circuit that feeds the TV and light also supplies power to other points in the house. You may not notice that there are other items turning off when it happens, but my guess is there is too much current being used on that one circuit.
View Quote

What's odd is that the outside light being activated trips the breaker yet the outside light stays on.
I'm wondering if a connection in the switch box shouldn't be in common with each other.
I'd start with that switch box and see where power and everything is going.
(Not an electrician)
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What's odd is that the outside light being activated trips the breaker yet the outside light stays on.
I'm wondering if a connection in the switch box shouldn't be in common with each other.
(Not an electrician)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given that you know so little, I would call an electrician or a friend that may know enough about how a circuit works.

Odds are the circuit that feeds the TV and light also supplies power to other points in the house. You may not notice that there are other items turning off when it happens, but my guess is there is too much current being used on that one circuit.

(Not an electrician)

That's what puzzled me last night.  It sounds like there are two different hot feeds in that box and that the interior circuit could be on an AFCI breaker with both circuits sharing a neutral.  I'm just guessing because I've never seen that problem in the past.

OP, you need an electrician but I'm curious, is the breaker that you have to reset an AFCI or GFCI??
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's what puzzled me last night.  It sounds like there are two different hot feeds in that box and that the interior circuit could be on an AFCI breaker with both circuits sharing a neutral.  I'm just guessing because I've never seen that problem in the past.

OP, you need an electrician but I'm curious, is the breaker that you have to reset an AFCI or GFCI??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Not an electrician)

OP. Does that switched outlet have one half (top or bottom) that is always hot? Somehow that outside light is being fed from two sources. I'd also like to know if the fixtures are end or middle of run. I bet that outside light is end of run and is being fed from a second source at that plug and that plug is wired wrong.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP. Does that switched outlet have one half (top or bottom) that is always hot? Somehow that outside light is being fed from two sources. I'd also like to know if the fixtures are end or middle of run. I bet that outside light is end of run and is being fed from a second source at that plug and that plug is wired wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahh that might make sense.... GFCI breaker, and a mixed up neutral connection?

The lights neutral is mixed into the other breaker, so when that is turned on GCI senses the inbalance and pops, but the other circuit would still work fine?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for replys everyone. It is nice to know that a breaker does have a useful life. I am going to have to get an electrician over here. Probably try my home warranty first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top