User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Got any good knock down/portable options aside from the Moravian Workbench?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about building a proper wood working bench as your first project.

Got any good knock down/portable options aside from the Moravian Workbench?  

Go to YouTube and look up Paul Sellers.  He has a series of vids showing how to build s bench with very few tools.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]

What are your thoughts when it comes to air compressors?  I'm thinking about getting a pancake oil-less (yes I know they're loud as hell) to use for running a brad nailer and blowing off/inflating stuff.  I was thinking about getting the cheap $39 3 gallon one from harbor freight since I'll only need it infrequently and not doing any production style work with it.  

In the future I'll get an oil lubricated compressor, but that's probably after I'm out of the military and no longer have access to a fully stocked auto shop on base with free tool rentals.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Will work just fine for what you are describing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Will work just fine for what you are describing.
View Quote

Thanks, I thought it might.

BTW you were spot on about the router table, even for a trim router, really expanding my options.  My TS cart is just about done, I re-did the design a bit so I could incorporate a 2.25hp router into the outfeed table.  I also got a wood rack up (I don't know why I didn't do this sooner), and have started to make things a bit more portable.  It being in the 20's though has really slowed my progress, and desire to be working in an unheated garage, down a lot.

I've got another 1.5 years on my lease here and I'm giving some serious thoughts to getting some cheap fiberglass roll insulation and insulating the on wall that has none and also the wall with the garage door.  If I had to guess I bet the one finished wall that doesn't butt up to the house is uninsulated.  I'd also insulate the garage door while I'm at it...I jsut don't know if it'd help much.  The concrete floor is absolutely frigid even when I run a heater in there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two radiant heaters hanging from the ceiling that work really well. Takes a while to warm up though.

Got mine from lowes
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts when it comes to air compressors?  I'm thinking about getting a pancake oil-less (yes I know they're loud as hell) to use for running a brad nailer and blowing off/inflating stuff.  I was thinking about getting the cheap $39 3 gallon one from harbor freight since I'll only need it infrequently and not doing any production style work with it.  

In the future I'll get an oil lubricated compressor, but that's probably after I'm out of the military and no longer have access to a fully stocked auto shop on base with free tool rentals.  
View Quote

Get a shop vac first.

A metal-working machinist might "blow off stuff" because metal chips don't get airborne like sawdust.  

Sawdust should be SUCKED (vacuumed) not BLOWN.  The dust gets airborne and stays airborne for a long time - you will be breathing it and it goes everywhere, making a mess.  A sophisticated woodworker sucks up the sawdust in real time via a shop vac or dust collection system (but that's not realistic for a newbie).  

Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Do a youtube search for woodworking for mere mortals. Lots of beginner projects and tips.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get a shop vac first.

A metal-working machinist might "blow off stuff" because metal chips don't get airborne like sawdust.  

Sawdust should be SUCKED (vacuumed) not BLOWN.  The dust gets airborne and stays airborne for a long time - you will be breathing it and it goes everywhere, making a mess.  A sophisticated woodworker sucks up the sawdust in real time via a shop vac or dust collection system (but that's not realistic for a newbie).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a shop vac first.

I got a 5hp 16gal vac hooked up to a dust deputy mini cyclone. I also run a bag in the vac just to be safe.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a 5hp 16gal vac hooked up to a dust deputy mini cyclone. I also run a bag in the vac just to be safe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a shop vac first.

I don't have much room either right now for a FS dust collection system.  I have been using a 16hp shop vac tooand was thinking about picking up a dust deputy.   Are you happy with yours?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
It's worth it when you consider the price of shop vac bags.  I have two more shop vac bags and I will likely not be buying any more once/if I use them up. You should plan on building or repurposing something to be a cart for them. I have knocked over my bucket several times but thankfully the suction from the vac keeps the lid on.

It also works well on more than just sawdust. I use it when cleaning out my cars.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't have much room either right now for a FS dust collection system.  I have been using a 16hp shop vac tooand was thinking about picking up a dust deputy.   Are you happy with yours?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a shop vac first.

I just recently picked up a dust deputy to pair with my Ridgid shop vac. There is now zero dust in my shop vac. Now the filter still gets the super fine stuff but it does make a nice difference. Another thing I got that really seems to help is a better hose. I picked up the 10' orange hose and it is a lot more flexible as well as longer. This makes it much nicer to hook up to sanders to collect more dust. Although for about the same price on Amazon I can get a 5 meter Bosch hose. I've yet to grab that one and try it out.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]

10' clear dust collection hose

You'll need to buy some end pieces but I've got a crap load of this stuff (though mine is mostly 4") all over my shop.  Works better than any shop vac hose.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a dust deputy, ...it works wonders, i'd highy recommend getting a cyclone for your vac!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The dust separators really make a difference.
View Quote

This. I built a baffle system for mine in a 55 gallon food grade barrel - only because its fully sealed. I have yet to even begin to gather debris in the bag in my DC system and it is going on 6 years with pretty regular use now. I do empty the separator bin about once month depending on if I use my planer a lot or not. I can tell when my bin gets full because I start to see a bit of debris in the bag in the DC. You can make small scale ones for your shop vac as well if that is all you have. Either way, as a woodworker a dust collector is something you cannot do without.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, as lame as it may sound, you might consider joining Pinterest.  My wife was sending me emails with stuff she saw, and I FO'ed and joined.  Lots of really good ideas.  

I would suggest some of Nick Ferry's stuff on Youtube, he has a plan for a table saw sled that I'm probably going to do.  And since I just got a table saw, I am also looking into a whole variety of things to make to gain experience before I make some cabinets and replace the original laminate-covered built-ins in our house.

Plans for Cyclone dust collectors, air filtration, benches, tables, you name it, all in one place.

Since I have a portable table saw, I am also looking at a knockdown table, specifically this one: Knockdown table saw outfeed table

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, as lame as it may sound, you might consider joining Pinterest.  My wife was sending me emails with stuff she saw, and I FO'ed and joined.  Lots of really good ideas.  

I would suggest some of Nick Ferry's stuff on Youtube, he has a plan for a table saw sled that I'm probably going to do.  And since I just got a table saw, I am also looking into a whole variety of things to make to gain experience before I make some cabinets and replace the original laminate-covered built-ins in our house.

Plans for Cyclone dust collectors, air filtration, benches, tables, you name it, all in one place.

Since I have a portable table saw, I am also looking at a knockdown table, specifically this one: Knockdown table saw outfeed table

View Quote

This.

Mostly use it for cooking, but my pinterest game is strong!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I made a TS cart since my stand wasn't practical for my uses. Now I have put feed support and all my woodworking tools in a single location. I need to build some drawers on it yet so I can actually get it organized.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Picked up a brand new Ridgid R4331 13" luncbox thickness planer today for about $80 out of my pocket.  It was a tough choice between that and the new Ridgid 18GA cordless brad nailer.  Gonna go with pneumitic nailer instead (probably a HF compressor, hose, and nailer) For about $90 when it's all said and done instead rather than $220 for a cordless that shares batteries with my other cordless tools.

Now I just need to decide what wood types I want to build my writing/computer desk out of.  I saw a Padouk and Red Oak table I really liked the contrast of.   I'll probably just K.I.S.S. and build it out of whatever hard wood at the dealer that catches my eye and isn't stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Picked up a brand new Ridgid R4331 13" luncbox thickness planer today for about $80 out of my pocket.  It was a tough choice between that and the new Ridgid 18GA cordless brad nailer.  Gonna go with pneumitic nailer instead (probably a HF compressor, hose, and nailer) For about $90 when it's all said and done instead rather than $220 for a cordless that shares batteries with my other cordless tools.  

Now I just need to decide what wood types I want to build my writing/computer desk out of.  I saw a Padouk and Red Oak table I really liked the contrast of.   I'll probably just K.I.S.S. and build it out of whatever hard wood at the dealer that catches my eye and isn't stupid expensive.
View Quote

Let us know how that planer works.  I have looked at some pins about using jigs for a table saw or routing table for joinery/planing, but a dedicated tool for thickness planing is probably a better approach.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Let us know how that planer works.  I have looked at some pins about using jigs for a table saw or routing table for joinery/planing, but a dedicated tool for thickness planing is probably a better approach.
View Quote

Sure thing.  I can tell you it's heavy , I'm going to be making a "platform" to mount it on to use it in conjunction with my sawhorses I think.  I need to get some roller stands as well.  Lowes has their 3 function (stright roller, ball rollers, and flat support) version now priced at $30ea, but I might keep shopping around or make my own.

I'm going to use a planer sled for face jointing the 1st side, then edge joint on my table saw or router table, back to the planer for the opposite face, and lastly back to the TS to joint the last edge.  I really wish I had room for a full sized jointer, but hey work with what you got.  None of the benchtops I've seen are really worth the money.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top