Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 12:49:47 AM EDT

What I have been using as a mitre saw table

The workshop when I started.
Picked up a jointer and planer on craigslist the other day.

I sort off copied a woodworking magazine design, and built the frame out of cut in half 2x6s I had leftover from the ceiling bracing. This took a long time, I should have just built it cabinet style, especially since I am probably going to add sections of cabinet inside it.

End of first weekend, didnt look like much, all the ripping and dado cuts took forever, made a ton of sawdust and was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be installed in this corner, I am trying to keep the other side rather open to allow a full sized panel saw someday, and the bench hurts my back as it was always short and I had to cut 3 inches off to put in the floor.

End of second weekend

Tore out most of bench, painted, dropped my removable ceiling sections to bring over power to be dropped later, installed, played with the fiddly bits

(covered outlets are the garages old abandoned wiring)

Fence sections being glued up

I have added a ton of details I picked up from various websites, and one I have not seen anywhere before. You can see hints of it in the pictures.

Tommorrow night, joint the bottom of the fence, sand and BLO the oak faces. Mabye start of stopblocks/flip stops/
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool Project.
I'll build one of these in a year or so.  I'd be interested to see your plans.  
How did you determine how long to make the table and how much room on either side of the saw?
Can the space against the wall (behind the fence) be used for storage or would that interfere with some function of the saw?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool Project.
I'll build one of these in a year or so.  I'd be interested to see your plans.  
How did you determine how long to make the table and how much room on either side of the saw?
Can the space against the wall (behind the fence) be used for storage or would that interfere with some function of the saw?
View Quote

I do not exactly have plans, I am making it up on a whiteboard as I go

The space behind the fence can be used, and will be  Not all of it can though, remember if you have a slider, when set to 45 it will stick back in a radius so both sides will need to be kept clear a bit.

I did not take the adjustment knob on the front into account and need to mitre about 2 inches off the corners by the saw dropdown.

I made it long enough so I will have 4' on one side and 8' on the other with that end open so longer can be cut with manual measuring.
I may stick a radial arm saw on that end if I ever see one cheap and local
Overkill for 99% of the time.

The saw I have is a harbor freight 12"

Cheap, cuts well with a good blade, dust collection aint great but a hood and suction will help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]
My version.

Fence telescopes out to 108"

Have plans, will share.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Subscribe. This is relative to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have plans, will share.
View Quote

Please do! That looks nice.

OP's looks nice too, but it sounds like his is more customized to his space.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
interesting extension fence
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have plans, will share.

You'll have to IM me a good email address so I can send the .pdf file.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Asked you for plans per IM. Working out a way to make it quick detach so it will mount up to my portable stand....  The dual bevel Dewalt is my goto saw while working trim on customers homes.  I have 2 nice sliders, but really never found a use for them on any of my jobs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
making progress.

Test flip stop. The measuring tape will be on the back plywood of the fence, machine screw is a trial micro adjust. Not sure I like it.

saw installed and all leveled, right side permanent mount fence installed, working on a cabinet to go behind it.

I will have a permanently setup on the right to cut up to 4' pieces always ready.

Left side can cut up to a little over 8' and is mounted on track so I can slide it back when not using it.
lumber rack will go up the wall behind it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top