Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 7:46:42 PM EDT
I've got to upgrade my general car mantienance tools. I used some Rhino-ramp knock-offs, they've worked well for the past 15 years or so but are a pain to put together and actually use. They're stable enough and are rated to 6000lbs but I don't really trust them to be honest.

So, ARFCOM DIY'ers, recommend me a good but not outrageously expensive Jack and Jack-stands.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've trusted my life to blitz rhino ramps for more than a decade.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to have stands so I can do breaks and the like with the tire/wheel off. Jackstand brand Jack-stands are supposed to be the shit but damn if they're not pricey for what you get.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd like to have stands so I can do breaks and the like with the tire/wheel off. Jackstand brand Jack-stands are supposed to be the shit but damn if they're not pricey for what you get.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certified welders are not cheap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Harbor Freight actually has some decent gear now when it comes to jacks and jack stands as well as hand tools. Find your way over to "garage journal" and check out their forums.  You'll find all the info you need with reviews and advice on how to make sure you get the better models and how to make sure they last.

Wes
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit I wouldn't trust my life to anything that came from Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understand and no one says they should be but the stands I'm talking about are $300 for a pair (jackpoint stands.) High quality ones can be had for half that but I do like the concept of those. I'll do some research but would like to find some U.S. Made one's that use different 'pucks' for different vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.

I've worked under a lot of stuff...but I'll say this...you really do get what you paid for.  Get the brand name stuff if you plan on doing a lot of car maintenance.  They'll pay themselves off  very quickly compared to shop prices.

When I'm under a three ton vehicle...I don't want to have any doubt my jack stands are going to hold the load.  Spend the money, be confident.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Home depot has some jacks that are on the ok side of the China made jacks and their jack stands are really pretty nice.

Last year after Black Friday I got the combo kit that had two stands and a jack. Over Black Friday I believe it was $99 but I hit the store after it had been marked down a couple of times .
At the time I wasn't really shopping for it but @ $35 it was calling to me
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ditto.

I've worked under a lot of stuff...but I'll say this...you really do get what you paid for.  Get the brand name stuff if you plan on doing a lot of car maintenance.  They'll pay themselves off  very quickly compared to shop prices.

When I'm under a three ton vehicle...I don't want to have any doubt my jack stands are going to hold the load.  Spend the money, be confident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

HF jacks are good, but I did read some negative reviews on the stands.  

Pass/Fail thread

HF actually has some good shit, and shit. Impact sockets, carbon fiber ratchets, tool boxes are GTG to name a few.   But don't trust your life to the stands.  I jack my car up with a HF jack, but I immediately put a set of quality stands under it.  Sorry, cannot tell you where I bought them since I've had them for probably 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pass/Fail thread

HF actually has some good shit, and shit. Impact sockets, carbon fiber ratchets, tool boxes are GTG to name a few.   But don't trust your life to the stands.  I jack my car up with a HF jack, but I immediately put a set of quality stands under it.  Sorry, cannot tell you where I bought them since I've had them for probably 30 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Pass/Fail thread

I too, have some HF shit but nothing I would consider my life to. The idea of HF Jack Stands doesn't sit well with me. So far I'm liking the ESCO 3-ton jacks for the price; I still may pony up to a set of Jackpoint stands as they would be the easiest to use for the three vehicles I have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I too, have some HF shit but nothing I would consider my life to. The idea of HF Jack Stands doesn't sit well with me. So far I'm liking the ESCO 3-ton jacks for the price; I still may pony up to a set of Jackpoint stands as they would be the easiest to use for the three vehicles I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Pass/Fail thread

I should clarify that I am recommending the HF stands in conjunction with true rhino ramps if all we are talking about are oil changes.  I was left with the impression that the OP wanted a safety net of sorts.

Wes
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I should clarify that I am recommending the HF stands in conjunction with true rhino ramps if all we are talking about are oil changes.  I was left with the impression that the OP wanted a safety net of sorts.

Wes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Pass/Fail thread

Wes

Sure, more saftey is a good thing but I'd like to be able EO do breaks safely. Right now I'm eyeing some Esco branded jack stands but I'm going to keep reading up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll toss in that I have a HF jack that I have abused for 3 or so years. Love it, and every bit as good as the name brands that are still made in a factory in China. However, get some good American made stands to go under. No matter what you shouldn't trust your life in the jack alone so it really doesn't matter where you get it, as long as the stands are quality.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess I am lucky. My wifes CRV and my lifted cherokee are high enough I dont use a jack/stands and my lowered Audi gets oil changes on my buddies lift. I have a set of cheapo jack stands but I think I have only used them once and never with me under the car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been using a Harbor Freight jack and their jack stands for years on 3/4 ton trucks and never had a problem
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've been using a Harbor Freight jack and their jack stands for years on 3/4 ton trucks and never had a problem
View Quote
I used to have a neighbor that never used jack stands and cheap jacks until one day his jack failed and a u bolt went through his watch and wrist.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I have some handy chunks of railroad tie about two feet long each.
I always stack some of them on each side of anything (even using jack stands) before i get under there.

They started life as cribbing for foundation repair on houses.
I held onto 4 pieces when I retired.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
$30 set from HF. If you think you're that special that they'll fail, spend the rest on lotto tickets.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Have the 6 ton froms HF and 3 tons from walmart, they are GM goodwrench.  Never an issue.

But i was taught correctly and still put the tires under the frame too.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have some handy chink of railroad tie about two feet long each.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

My jackstands are china too...not a problem, but I do try to leave my American made floor jack in place ... just in case....
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Have the 6 ton froms HF and 3 tons from walmart, they are GM goodwrench.  Never an issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When working on hubs put the tire under the frame nearby.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Bendpak four post lift for my shop. I love the thing. It makes working on vehicles so much easier. Oil changes are a breeze. They are not as expensive as you might think.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
raceramps.com

Secure and lightweight, but kinda $$. Buy once-cry once.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought a Bendpak four post lift for my shop. I love the thing. It makes working on vehicles so much easier. Oil changes are a breeze. They are not as expensive as you might think.
View Quote

Yea, and you suck!!    Just rub it in, why don't you?!

My garage has less than 8' ceilings, so no lift for me
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MaxJax
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I always use chocks and cribbing(2x or 4x stack) anyway when on a jack if I can. Even when on stands, jack stays up and cribbing as tight as possible. No kill like overkill.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a set that included a heavy steel jack that is rated for 3 tons and a pair of 6 ton jackstands 12 or 13 years ago from Meijer.  It has held up fine, still use them.

10 or 13 ton jackstands have a wider base and are a little more stable though.  My father in law gave me a set and these are the ones I use unless I need all four at once or have to work right next to where the jackstand has to rest and need the clearance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#29]
harbor freight jacks and jackstands are fine, i use their 2 ton long reach (2, actually) jacks on my racecar and have a couple of their aluminum ones as well.

I also have a set of raceramps for when I am doing something quick. They're great, and won't slip or slide on practically any surface. I wouldn't leave a car on them overnight though, I have heard (but not seen myself) that they will dimple if you leave a car parked on them for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I use both jack stands, ramps and stands and cinder blocks wherever appropriate.  But I really like jack stands backed up with cinder blocks.

I've never had a jack stand fail.  But the blocks would catch it if it did.  And, my wife would not collect the insurance money.

Oh, here's a story.

I was driving through the neighborhood one day (on the way buy beer, what else) and saw a small compact car sitting on a steep driveway up on jacks with no chocks and two legs sticking out from under the front end...female legs.  It was a neighbor's house and we knew them but I didn't know the legs belonged to their long-gone-to-college daughter.

I slammed on the breaks and went to the vehicle and demanded that she get out from under that car while I rousted her Father from his, apparent, slumber.  She was under a death trap changing the oil.

They got mad at me, if you can imagine that.  That car was on an incline of about 15 degrees, held up by teetering jack stands, no chocks and the only thing holding it in place was the emergency break.  AND SHE HAD JACKED UP THE CAR ON THE SIDE OF THE VEHICLE WHERE THE ONLY WHEEL CONNECTED TO THE EM BRAKE WAS ATTACHED.  It was barely on the ground.

And, they got mad at me for trying to save a young woman's life.

LF
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I use both jack stands, ramps and stands and cinder blocks wherever appropriate.  But I really like jack stands backed up with cinder blocks.

I've never had a jack stand fail.  But the blocks would catch it if it did.  And, my wife would not collect the insurance money.

Oh, here's a story.

I was driving through the neighborhood one day (on the way buy beer, what else) and saw a small compact car sitting on a steep driveway up on jacks with no chocks and two legs sticking out from under the front end...female legs.  It was a neighbor's house and we knew them but I didn't know the legs belonged to their long-gone-to-college daughter.

I slammed on the breaks and went to the vehicle and demanded that she get out from under that car while I rousted her Father from his, apparent, slumber.  She was under a death trap changing the oil.

They got mad at me, if you can imagine that.  That car was on an incline of about 15 degrees, held up by teetering jack stands, no chocks and the only thing holding it in place was the emergency break.  AND SHE HAD JACKED UP THE CAR ON THE SIDE OF THE VEHICLE WHERE THE ONLY WHEEL CONNECTED TO THE EM BRAKE WAS ATTACHED.  It was barely on the ground.

And, they got mad at me for trying to save a young woman's life.

LF
View Quote

There is no shortage of stupid.  You stopped Darwinism in its tracks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top