Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 2:09:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have any ideas for concealing an interior closet door that opens out into a hallway/area?  The door is set in about 1/2" into the drywall and the door does not have a door knob.

Before people ask why the door opens out, it is because this is in a tight corner of my basement and the door could not open in due to structural supports.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to be hard to conceal the hinges if out swing. You could replace the door with a new piano hinge unit, then have a mirror made and installed to the door, finishing it off by adding a different style frame around the outside of the door in place of the door casing, giving the look of just a framed mirror hung on the wall.  Or you could install a larger hinged mirror that opens out just like the door to conceal it.

ETA:  being able to lock it gets tricky and involves a bit more skill. Why not just install a reinforced door with only a keyed deadbolt?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
like this?

you could paint the hinges to match for better concealment.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI, typically, doors to closets open out to the room / hallway. Whereas doors to rooms open into the room.

In the tricks of the trade dept, searching smokey houses you can tell just by feeling the exposed jamb whether or not it's a room or a closet. Not 100% reliable but pretty reliable.

No accounting for dumb DIY'ers.

Oh and the pics above look like what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also get concealed hinges, if you are trying to be more stealthy or have "cleaner", unbroken lines.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Use heavy duty SOSS hinges.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input.  Due to price and logistics I ended up setting the frame in an inch and mounting the door with heavy duty external hinges. I plan on building and painting a cover to match the wall then putting furniture in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Post some pics of the before and after - I've got a project where I will need to do something like this as well...
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#9]
False book case door if it has to open outwards and you want to conceal it. You will have to increase depth but it would be totally concealable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top