Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2015 2:26:19 PM EDT
So I have a 20' X 20' area I want to pour concrete in. It is surrounded on two sides by a cinder block wall covered in stucco, cent on one side that I want to mate it to. It will basically extend my entertainment area.

only constraints is If I get a pumper to go over the fence from the street (about a 10' wall) or I i will have to lug every bag by hand around the house one by one.

Is this something I can do on my own or should I hire a pro. I have only done on small slab for a shed about 10 years ago.

If I hire a pro, what kind of price range should I expect. I am in souther CA if anyone knows a guy

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You do not want to mix a slab that big with a hand mixer.  Form and pour yourself with the pumper, or go with paver blocks.

You might not need the pumper if you pull that privacy fence.  You might get a truck with a conveyor belt to run the mud over the wall.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have a 20' X 20' area I want to pour concrete in. It is surrounded on two sides by a cinder block wall covered in stucco, cent on one side that I want to mate it to. It will basically extend my entertainment area.

only constraints is If I get a pumper to go over the fence from the street (about a 10' wall) or I i will have to lug every bag by hand around the house one by one.

Is this something I can do on my own or should I hire a pro. I have only done on small slab for a shed about 10 years ago.

If I hire a pro, what kind of price range should I expect. I am in souther CA if anyone knows a guy

<a href="http://s303.photobucket.com/user/jwood562/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/0C5F09A7-DCDC-4932-8CFB-5C1F3826BD96_zpsfuvxtjnt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/jwood562/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-07/0C5F09A7-DCDC-4932-8CFB-5C1F3826BD96_zpsfuvxtjnt.jpg</a>
View Quote

You can rent a buggy for about $100.  Much cheaper than a pumper.  Stop by a job site where cement is being poured, and ask if the guys doing the work do side jobs.  Many will, and you can get a couple of pros cheaper than a contractor.

ETA:  I just poured about about the same amount, and had to haul it about 75 yards in one of these.  The guys finishing couldn't keep up with me.  $100/day.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I prepare the plot for pouring myself and frame it. Can I just pour up to the wall on two sides?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I prepare the plot for pouring myself and frame it. Can I just pour up to the wall on two sides?
View Quote

You'll want expansion paper against the wall.

This, whatever you call it...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-1-2-in-x-4-in-x-5-ft-Expansion-Joint-691703/100318479
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
can you get a truck up to the wall? take the trellis off most trucks could dump right over it I think...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
can you get a truck up to the wall? take the trellis off most trucks could dump right over it I think...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
you can't afford to pump concrete! conveyor yes. I would get a few Georgia buggies and get moving.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are the sprinkler lines located at?

Have a truck drop it off, easy and faster.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The prep work alone would cause me to hire a Concrete contractor. The removing of all of the soil to set flush, the drilling and doweling of the walls and slab...too much for me...I'd start calling contractors...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The biggest heartache your going to run into is getting it level up against those two walls.  How ya going to form it to make sure?

Personally, I'd hire someone to put the slab in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a devout DIYer..........but I would hire someone to pour concrete.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like I should (and will) be going the pro route.

I made two calls today and both spouted $4-5K.

I was hoping to get it done a lot cheaper.

Second guessing this project now
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Just posted a recco on your California forum thread.

Definitely would hire a contractor for this job, way too big to do by yourself. Pouring is easy over the wall, but there's a lot of prep work I see and you'll want a lot of people skimming a slab that size as its poured.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 4-5K price does not surprise me a bit.

Where are you in SoCal? I might have a recommendation or two.

I have a client that does the exact same size pad at all of their locations and it averages $7000.
That includes cutting out part of a parking lot, prep work, 6" pad, and 1' turn downs at the edge.

You could also do something like this, but make sure you get a good compacted base or it will look like shit after a couple years.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_19183-215-104601999_1z0wga5Z2z8vi__?productId=3018983&pl=1
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

are you SURE you want to have a 20 x 20 concrete pad as a backyard?  it could end up looking like a parking garage.
you are in southern CA, it doesn't freeze, so you have a lot of options.
one of which -- if you want a hardscape surface -- is to put concrete down rough and then set outdoor tiles or flagstone on top.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
even if you go with 3 inches of concrete and don't park on it, you will still need 3 inches or more of gravel. Are you prepared to dig 6 inches of soil out by hand?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

are you SURE you want to have a 20 x 20 concrete pad as a backyard?  it could end up looking like a parking garage.
one of which -- if you want a hardscape surface -- is to put concrete down rough and then set outdoor tiles or flagstone on top.

ar-jedi

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

This is good advice^^^

You can still DIY this...

That being said: if you want to even think about doing the DIY concrete some things to consider:
Do you have the tools or will you have to buy them? Screeds, floats, trowels, edgers, sprayer & sealer? If not factor that into your cost
The cart pictured above is referred to as a "Georgia buggy" in my area and I just rented one for $85 a few weeks ago for a DIY concrete job.

A job that would have otherwise cost me $7-9k due to complicated layout cost me just over $1k. It cost me $600 in concrete (5 yards with fiber-mesh + tax), $200 in concrete tools, $85 Georgia buggy rental, $50 rebar & tie-wires, $10 gravel, 3 racks of ribs, 8 hamburgers, 8 bratwurst, & a case of beer. Friends & relatives that are willing to bust their butt for you (and come with at least a little experience) are crucial to this project... Your only other option is, as stated above, find a few guys that work on a concrete crew and ask if they do any side-jobs. Tell them you can do all the prep work and you just need their help, experience, & tools for the pour & finish.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grass is cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
even if you go with 3 inches of concrete and don't park on it, you will still need 3 inches or more of gravel. Are you prepared to dig 6 inches of soil out by hand?
View Quote

That's exactly what I was thinking. OP was wondering how he was going to get concrete in, I immediately wondered how he would get all of that dirt out. 6 inches will be the minimum you'll have to remove. A 20' x 20' pad excavated to 6" will require 7.4 yards or dirt removed, and then 3.7 yards of gravel brought back in to fill and compact (you'll need to compact in two separate 1.5" layers to get good compaction). Moving over 11 yards of material by myself is not something I would sign up for unless it was over the course of a couple weekends.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Placing concrete is for younger guys.
Hire some.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#21]
You sure about drainage if you do put in a slab?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Use paver blocks instead of a solid slab of concrete. The pavers will look better, IMO, and if later you decide to decrease the size of the paved area you can removed blocks and put in new edging. The pavers can also be replaced one by one if damage occurs. You need a good base, and that many blocks would be a bitch to move. Either a slab or pavers, I'd hire someone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Consider doing some type of paver.  It will look better, handle drainage issues (it is porous) and won't be much more than poured concrete.  As mentioned before, it is modular, so you can change the shape or replace damaged ones fairly easily.  Concrete pavers, here in Phoenix, go for $6-8 a square foot.  Travertine pavers go for $9-12 a square foot.  On a 400sf. job, you will pay a little more per foot because you will hit minimum labor charges.  Those are retail installed prices with all material included.

Consider calling several Landscape companies and having them bid it out for you.  There is a small shop that do this kind of job all day long.

Or you can research doing it yourself.  It is hard work, but not hard to do.  Belgard (a paver manufacturer) has videos on their site of how to install it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top