Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2015 11:45:40 AM EDT
What am I in for??

Pump feeds directly to my own septic system.

I am looking for suggestions on Preventative Maintenance, troubleshooting, etc..

Anyone have a battery backup or do you just use a generator when the power is out?

Everything online says they are relatively robust systems that rarely fail but we all have heard that before.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The grinder itself usually only last 10 years per my plumber.
You should be able to use toilet on a limited basis after a power outage if you have a small storage tank built into the system
(Most do)

Is it a whole house grinder or just the basement shitter?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The basement is just roughed in for a bathroom so I assume it's for the entire house.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What am I in for??

Pump feeds directly to my own septic system.

I am looking for suggestions on Preventative Maintenance, troubleshooting, etc..

Anyone have a battery backup or do you just use a generator when the power is out?

Everything online says they are relatively robust systems that rarely fail but we all have heard that before.  

Thanks!
View Quote

My advice is to buy a back up generator that way you can run the pump and a few other things when the power goes out. Also make sure that the women in your life know not to flush tampons or pads I would also suggest buying a spare  grinder pump so that when the one you have goes out you don't have to worry about finding one during a week end or holiday.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Good advice.

Generator is near the top of the list for purchases

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure nothing but whats supposed to go down the toilet goes down.

No grease,dental floss,diaper wipes and women products.

Make a lift and clean it every year with a pressure washer if you can.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The basement is just roughed in for a bathroom so I assume it's for the entire house.
View Quote

Still sounds odd.
A sump and ejection pump are not usually required on septic since the drain line is above grade enough to work.

It is only fixtures below the septic tank (like a basement bathroom) that need an ejector.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Still sounds odd.
A sump and ejection pump are not usually required on septic since the drain line is above grade enough to work.

It is only fixtures below the septic tank (like a basement bathroom) that need an ejector.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still sounds odd.

It makes sense if the septic tank is above the house. I once put in a system where the 4" line from the house dumped into a 40 or 50 gallon barrel the grinder pump reduced it and pumped it through a 2" line  across  a creek to the septic tank over 200 feet away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Still sounds odd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still sounds odd.

the leech field could be uphill of the structure.  
this is quite common when the preferred location of a swimming pool (now or future) interferes.
so, the pool is positioned optimally, and the crap is pumped uphill to suit.

as noted above, get a generator or your blackwater isn't going uphill.
also, have a means to manually run the pump, so you can push as much out as possible before the power goes off.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Our sewage pump only services the basement bathroom and bar sink.  The rest of the house goes directly to the septic tank.

The most disgusting DIY job I've ever done is replacing that pump last year after ~10 years of use.  Nothing like being shoulder deep in a tank half full of human waste.....even if it is your own waste.  I had double trash bags duct taped up to my shoulders and it got too close to going over.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Our sewage pump only services the basement bathroom and bar sink.  The rest of the house goes directly to the septic tank.

The most disgusting DIY job I've ever done is replacing that pump last year after ~10 years of use.  Nothing like being shoulder deep in a tank half full of human waste.....even if it is your own waste.  I had double trash bags duct taped up to my shoulders and it got too close to going over.
View Quote

I've never owned a house with a sewage pump but am going to be building a house soon and might need a sewage pump in the basement.  I've been researching them in case the grade won't allow a naturally draining basement.  I've read that the life span of a grinder pump is about 10 years so a lot of guys recommend that you replace it around the 7-8 year mark.  That way, when you go to replace it, you run a bunch of water into it and pump all the waste out till you're just pumping water only.  Then, open it up and replace the pump....good for another 7-8 years and no wading through human waste.

That doesn't do you any good now though
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this is quite common when the preferred location of a swimming pool (now or future) interferes.

also, have a means to manually run the pump, so you can push as much out as possible before the power goes off.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still sounds odd.

ar-jedi

Sounds like really poor site placement.
Gravity works ALL the time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies!

We are moving in mid August so I guess I'll find out then! That's going to be one of the first things I figure out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top