Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2015 6:52:03 PM EDT
So I am signing on a house and taking possession next week, and my wife and I want to paint some of the rooms before the movers bring our household goods.

Which paint out there is the best to use?

I plan on using a paint that has a primer included, so it has good coverage over the old paint.

I usually go to Home Depot, but looking for what works best so am also open to Lowes or what I can find for a local paint store in Anchorage. Will cross post this in the AK Hometown forum as well.

Home Depot has Behr Premium Plus and Glidden Paint & Primer. Trying to stay away from the higher priced Behr Marquee. I also won't get the pain bought in time for the current mail in rebates available.

I didn't go to Lowe's yet, but know they have Olympic and Vaspar paints and saw on a commercial that they now have HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had the best results with Sherwin Williams. Emerald is their top of the line. I'm using mostly Duration in Matte and I love the results. Some rooms I got to cover in one coat. Some rooms had a tremendous amount of repair and odd colors so even with good quality paint it required one coat of primer and two coats of color. It depends on what you are covering. SW also has pretty good sales on and off so you can save 30%-40% depending on what kind of sale they are running. They are pretty proud of their product.

I've used some of the Behr premium and it won't hold a candle to the good SW.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams who is having a 30% off sale this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Lowes also has a $10 per gallon mail-in rebate on the HGTV Ovation Sherman-Williams and the Olympic ICON paints. If you're a Vet, this weekend you also get an additional 10% off all purchases if you show an ID card or DD-214.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had the best results with Sherwin Williams. Emerald is their top of the line. I'm using mostly Duration in Matte and I love the results. Some rooms I got to cover in one coat. Some rooms had a tremendous amount of repair and odd colors so even with good quality paint it required one coat of primer and two coats of color. It depends on what you are covering. SW also has pretty good sales on and off so you can save 30%-40% depending on what kind of sale they are running. They are pretty proud of their product.

I've used some of the Behr premium and it won't hold a candle to the good SW.
View Quote

+1.  This.  They make paint for a lot other names.

Go into the store. Tell them you want to set up an account.  Make up any company name you want. You might need a Fed Tax ID, but I don't think so.  XX-XXXXXXX.  If they ask make one up.

You will get a huge discount just by doing that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Behr Marquee or premium plus ultra Is what I use unless the client request something different.   Behr premium plus is great too and at a lower price point.   I get good single coat coverage out of them and they don't give any problems to the sprayer.  

Some guys don't like the thickness of Marquee, if thats the case just add some floetrol to thin it and help eliminate brush marks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Valspar is good paint.  I've used a lot of it.  Getting ready to build a house and I'll be painting it with Valspar paint.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never, not even once, regretted using the highest quality paint. available - Benjamin Moore, etc.

I have regretted using Behr and several other lesser quality paints.  

If you need primer to cover new drywall or hide a darker color, buy and use a good quality primer.  

Do the prep work.  Take your time and do it right.  Take pride in your prep work.  It is essential to ensure the new paint sticks to the old.  If nothing else, it makes painting easier.  Nothing sucks worse than having to do it again because you didn't do the proper prep work.

Oh, almost forgot, do the ceilings first and before anything is in the house.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Valspar is good paint.  I've used a lot of it.  Getting ready to build a house and I'll be painting it with Valspar paint.
View Quote

I like Valspar too but I don't like these paint/primer combo paints, they don't seem to cover as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the comments. Will probably go with something from Sherwin-Williams.

The best I can remember from being in the house a couple weeks ago, nothing dark that needs to be covered except for a section of "chalkboard" paint. I'm assuming the best way to cover this is to prime and then paint?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Always had good luck with Sherwin Williams
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the comments. Will probably go with something from Sherwin-Williams.

The best I can remember from being in the house a couple weeks ago, nothing dark that needs to be covered except for a section of "chalkboard" paint. I'm assuming the best way to cover this is to prime and then paint?
View Quote

Yep...painted over a similar section.  Primed it once, let dry.  Primed it again and rest of the wall, dry, then painted the room with regular paint, 2 coats.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]
SW or BM.  I tried a couple varieties of Valspar and it would not cover in one coat, and barely in two.  Spend the extra ten bucks a gallon on SW...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Use a separate primer.
Buy Floetrol to make the paint handle better.

thicker is NOT always better.
Many paints now form a surface film fast enough they will not level worth a darn.
The EPA has sucked out the solvents.
Floetrol puts them back into 'latex' paints.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Sherwin Williams
If you are planning a project well in advance wait for a good sale.  30 - 50% off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought 24 gallons from SW a few weeks ago during there 40% off sale.  

I bought super paint for living/bedrooms and emerald for the bathrooms.  Just an FYI, even though super paint is primer and paint in one, I had some serious flashing on patches with super paint.  I had to go over with primer first.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
SW Emerald.

/thread
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
So many recommendations for S-W paints.  The last time I used their paint it really sucked.  It has been a while but they lost my trust.

I use and recommend Benjamin Moore.

Which ever brand you buy, buy their best.

Here is my tip - use exterior house paint in your bathrooms.  They do much better than regular interior paints given the moisture in the bathrooms from the showers and bathtubs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget a quality roller and brush.  Don't use one of those foam nap rollers get a good one from SW.  Makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I've used both Sherwin Williams Duration and Cashmere in my house and shop.  I've also used Glidden and Behr at some of my washes.

SW Cashmere is my absolute favorite.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Beware the EPA and VOC regulations.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Sherwin is a crap company that is so big that they just dont care. Problem is, they still have a better product for better prices than that Behr or Benny Moore. Duration Home works well - thin it a bit if youre spraying and back rolling - or Promar 200. Those are the only two lines of SW that we could ever get to come out. Now that is in an interior white-ish color mind you. If you start getting into any colors, I honestly cant say that Sherwin is the way to go. All the junk that made colors work, have body, touch up to itself, has all been regulated out for the low/no VOC bullshit. Sherwin just cannot figure out a system that will meet VOCs and actually work. I have had to do five coats of SW's top line just to make a deep red on an accent wall in my bathroom cover.

This is mostly from a commercial paint standpoint but honestly Ive worked so closely with all these company's for the last decade that I just cant abide how Sherwin does business. My preference for both service and performance is Rodda/Cloverdale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Rooms are Painted! Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

We ended up going with Behr Premium Plus Ultra as SW didn't have any sales going, and a generous team member offered up his ProRewards number so we received 20% off of the paint as well. Thanks, you know who you are!

We also only had 4 days to paint before carpet cleaner and movers were scheduled, so was very busy.

The chalk board paint wall covered well with 2 coats of Killz2 primer.

And now for some photos:

Chalkboard wall before
image1 by Jason, on Flickr

Same room after, just not the correct wall
image9 by Jason, on Flickr

Hallway before
image3 by Jason, on Flickr

Hallway after
image10 by Jason, on Flickr

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks good.  While you were busy painting, it seems Sherwin Williams was having a sale.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So many recommendations for S-W paints.  The last time I used their paint it really sucked.  It has been a while but they lost my trust.

I use and recommend Benjamin Moore.

Which ever brand you buy, buy their best.

Here is my tip - use exterior house paint in your bathrooms.  They do much better than regular interior paints given the moisture in the bathrooms from the showers and bathtubs.
View Quote

Sherwin Williams make Benjamin Moore paint.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]
behr premium plus got high marks with consumer reports, i have not had any issues using it
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#26]
If you really want the best, it's Ben Moore. You're going to pay over $40/gallon though. You probably don't need that unless it a commercial , high traffic area.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
behr premium plus got high marks with consumer reports, i have not had any issues using it
View Quote

I had a customer supply Behr for a job once.
It splattered something fierce with a roller.

CU has wandered into politics and is no longer to be trusted.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks good.  While you were busy painting, it seems Sherwin Williams was having a sale.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11722470_10153071660427921_7844796691072332954_o.jpg
View Quote

July 17th was the day the movers delivered all of our stuff to us.  We painted on the 13th and 14th, much easier to paint when the house is empty vs moving furniture around it. Even able to get the carpets cleaned between painting and movers as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Move the furniture into the center of the room.
Cover with plastic.
Paint ceiling with a long enough roller pole.
Paint walls with nothing in the way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sherwin Williams make Benjamin Moore paint.
View Quote

100% false and inaccurate info.  

One is a NJ based company owned by a major business conglomerate across multiple product lines, and the other is based in Ohio that does building products.  They have never been affiliated in any way and have been competitors since their origins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top