Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 7:06:05 PM EDT
I want to build an aquaponic system to raise more vegetables/herbs and fish for eating. I have access to hundreds of 35 gallon blue barrels at the office for free.

I'm going to start with 2 grow beds made out of 2 barrels, below that will be 3 or 4 barrels sat upright for a sump. i already have a 6ft head 1000 gph aquarium pump from when i kept a tank in the house. For the fish tanks i will use 4 of the barrels plumped totether to have 4 "tanks" that i can either keep different species or different sized fish in.

the system should be expandable to more grow beds after i get this thing up and running.

here in Texas we are only allowed to have possession of 1 species of tilapia alive without a special license. They are know as Mozambique tilapia. Apparently they go from 4-6" fingerlings to edible size in 4-6 months. I may also get some channel and/or blue catfish.

This will be what is known as an ebb and flow aquaponics system.

I just finished cutting apart the first barrel for grow bed #1. Had to see if my idea for keep the lid attached was gonna work(it did). I used a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to do it. boy after i was done i was BLUE.

I also cut the first pieces for the frame to hold the grow beds up.(would have kept working on it but i left a whole box of 3" deck screws at my brothers house, didn't feel like getting em today as we are heading over there tomorrow.)

i will try and keep this thread updated as i progress, here is the first picture of the barrel. I think i will sit down and use google skecthup to put the rest of my plan to paper.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well scope has already changed, i got lucky and acquired 2 IBC 275 Gallon Tanks on Monday for free.

So I will move to a system more like this.

should have the first one cut apart and re-assembled this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I am digging the change.  I will keep an eye on this.  I have the desire to do that same thing haha.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a link unfortunately, but there is an epic thread on aquaponics in one of the survival or gardening forums.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well got a little work done this weekend on the system.

Got one of the totes cut apart, got the bell siphon assembled, bought some paint for the tote(too rainy to paint right now, will wait until this TX weather calms down).
Ran some basic plumbing and started the pump. Next step acquire grow bed media.

all the tee's you see around the top are to keep the exposed ends of the tote i cut apart from scratching me, i will cut some PVC to make a nice top ring some time this week.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool project.   You around north Texas I might like to see it or help out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool project.   You around north Texas I might like to see it or help out.
View Quote

Houston area. if you are ever down here you would be welcome to come check it out(once it's done of course)
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Worked some more on the system this weekend. Got the Grow Bed painted. Started on the frame for the enclosure(used what wood I had laying around).

Also started the fishless cycle with aqueous ammonia on friday, added enough to get a reading of about 8ppm ammonia on friday by this morning it was down to 3. i will add some more tonite. I had gotten an old filter pad from the local fish store to help jumpstart.

This upcoming Saturday,I will be getting the media for the grow bed,  I settled on expanded shale. so i need to have at least the top of my frame finished out by then.

Here are some updated pictures.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top