Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2015 8:19:34 PM EDT
What's a fair price for kitchen tear out?  What does it involve?  (Dishwasher, gas cooktop, sink, and garbage disposal)

It's a new house (1 month old) with laminate.  When I look underneath the counter, I see all of the screws to remove it.  I see a gas cutoff.  I see all of my water cutoffs.

It isnt a huge kitchen.

I have 2 quotes: $700 and $1200.  Anytime I hear $700, I think, "That's an AR!"  I can't imagine it taking more than an hour with a power screwdriver and a wrench.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick the one with the best insurance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you replacing the countertops? If so see if they will rip everything out before installing the new tops. We charge $4 sq ft to tear out the deck/sink/disposal/R.O. If we are replacing the tops.

Or just tear it out yourself, being a new build I am sure the tops are just screwed down. Unscrew the countertops, use a jigsaw / sawzall to cut a few relief cuts so you can pull the deck out without scuffing up your walls and cabs. If the sink is siliconed and clipped like it should be take a putty knife and cut the sink out and unscrew the clips it will fall right out. If the sink has been epoxied it will be a bit more of a pain in the ass but if your not saving the sink just cut it out
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you tearing anything out of a1 month old house? Did you build it with laminate just to remove it?

And yes countertops are simply screws and maybe some caulk around the edge. Why you're paying someone to remove that is beyond me
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
And make sure you replace the tops with A Quartz countertops. Superior in every way to a natural stone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Take them out yourself & sell them on Craigslist or use them in the garage;
- Stove for powder coating, cabinets for storage, counter top for a workbench...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Prices vary from all over the country so for "fair price" its hard to say.   From the sounds of it I'd be in the $1000 range but that high and I'm busy.   If you can see all the cutoffs just do it all yourself.   Nothing a weekend, a 12 pack and couple friends can't get done at a leisurely pace.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Remove the counter top and cabinets carefully.  Take them to a Habitat for Humanity ReStore and turn them in for a tax credit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you tearing anything out of a1 month old house? Did you build it with laminate just to remove it?

And yes countertops are simply screws and maybe some caulk around the edge. Why you're paying someone to remove that is beyond me
View Quote

This, also if it'a a new home it should have some kind of 1yr builder warranty. More then likely will void entire kitchen if anything happens.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, also if it'a a new home it should have some kind of 1yr builder warranty. More then likely will void entire kitchen if anything happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We could have paid 8K for ugly granite, when we really wanted quartz. Builder doesn't do quartz, and wouldn't let us install quartz before closing.  Said F it, put in the laminate.  Laminate will be placed in the garage/workshop.  I don't care about the builder warranty.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We could have paid 8K for ugly granite, when we really wanted quartz. Builder doesn't do quartz, and wouldn't let us install quartz before closing.  Said F it, put in the laminate.  Laminate will be placed in the garage/workshop.  I don't care about the builder warranty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand of Quartz? Good choice BTW
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't trying to jump your shit. Just saying some builders are like some dealerships. "Oh you changed that light fixture in the hall, yeah that's what caused the garage to burn down."

When we spec'd out a new build in the "Bend you over" design center we did structural and electrical: 3 car garage, full basement, vaulted ceiling, 5 piece bath master, ceiling fan boxes all rooms, and some extra outlets. We picked the standard appliances, carpet/vinyl, laminate, cabinets, and fixtures. We came in just over $12k for upgradea, where most were in the $40-50k range. Like you, I didn't like all the upgrade options nor the price for them.

Also good choice on quartz.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Friend bought a house last year and he wanted insulation put into an interior wall between his master bedroom and the family room to cut down on noise. Builder said no way since it was not an option and he didn't want to get stuck with the expense if the sale didn't go through.  He offered to pay for the insulation and labor that day with cash and he still said no just to be a dick. I would have walked off and told them to find another sucker.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Cambria.  Think we are paying $55/sq installed.

Some kitchen places charge same price for all Cabria.  Others charge more for some of the fancier looking quartz.  The one price for any say, "It is all the same price no matter which one you pick."

Happy with the wife's selection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some kitchen places charge same price for all Cabria.  Others charge more for some of the fancier looking quartz.  The one price for any say, "It is all the same price no matter which one you pick."

View Quote

I have Cambria in my master bath, that's about the same price per sq ft I paid.
I love it--smooth as glass and nothing harms it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Got some friends to help me with mine. We destroyed and hauled the countertop, cabinets, sink, backsplash, everything. Not hard at all compared to destroying all the tile in the house...
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow......$55 a sq ft is a fantastic price. Cambria is the best Quartz product available on the market right now, made in USA, 120 designs, and all at the same price point.  Good choice man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top