Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 9:35:14 PM EDT
So, I have a low-flow well.  Original thread here .

We've been in the house 2 weeks, and the water is smelly.  The water doesn't "feel" hard.  Hardness is not a concern to me.

I had Culligan come out, and they said, "Its a 7 hardness, and it smells like Manganese. You need a softener."  (I watched them do the water test, and it seemed on the up and up.)

Wife had Rain Soft come out.  "OMG! You have a hardness of 10!!! You need a softener!" (Complete snake oil / timeshare-like hard-sell. Good description HERE of what their pitch was like.)

Help me, Hive;

1, I HATE soft water.  If I liked it, I'd fill my pipes with Jergens and take a shower in that.
2, Hot AND cold water has a smell to it. Wife and I hate it.  We grew up with parents who got roped into buying water softeners,.... and we had soft, smelly water.
3. What is the solution?  Carbon whole home filter?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have stinky well problem also, but only in the summer when the ground water reaches a certain temp.

I do know I have desolved iron in my water as the toilet tank are a nice rust color but no rust staining in the sinks or tubs.

I attribute our well smell to sulfur as I can chill the water and no stink. There are biologicals that can cause the smell as well.

My recommendation is to buy a water test kit online and send it off to an independent lab. That will give you the real results.

With desolved iron I will need a water softer to eliminate it. Filtering will not remove the iron. The sulfur will need a carbon filter..
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
In Florida the problem is usually sulfur, which is relieved by adding an aerator.  Just remember to check and clean it once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a smelly well in NY; mostly iron and sulfur. A manganese-green sand filter took care of the smell and a lot of the iron; fixtures still took on a red-orange tint but there's not much to do about that.

We still used a faucet-mounted Pur filter for drinking water, but cooking/washing/etc was fine without further treatment.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your 4 gpm flow is sufficient for each option you consider.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The well at (S)Mother's house had a lot of iron issues with smelly, slimy water. After years of futzing with a softener, she had a chlorinator installed and it seems to have cleared up a lot of the issues. It took a little bit to get it dialed in where it didn't smell strongly of chlorine but had the desired effect.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Where in Va are you?I used Va water Conditioning. Manassas & Stafford.I got a softener,in line filters & chlorinator.Good water now.Had very high iron.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Our water smelled and had a lot of iron. A cheap water softener from Home Depot that I installed myself fixed both problems.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I would determine the water chemistry first and foremost before buying shit.  A pellet chlorinator from B&B will solve many issues by oxidizing the soluble metals and they will fall out as a solid in the well.  I have installed numerous B&B chlorinators on wells so I know they work, just don't fill the hopper more than 1/3 full of pellets at any given time.

The most honest and reputable water filtration company I have worked with is Raindance.  They will test your water and design a specific resin type and ratio of load to match your well water chemistry.

You can also find any EPA certified lab and have a full mineral analysis done on you water for usually less than $200.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
So, I solved the problem:

From the various water tests, I knew my hardness was somewhere between 7 and 10. I knew pH was 7.  I knew iron, Manganese, nor Sulfur were the problem.

I bought one of these:

Whole home filter

Soaked it for about 2 days.

Installed it.  Ran the water.  No smell. No flavor. Threw the Brita pitcher in the back of the closet, freeing up fridge space.  Everyone except Culligan ($2500 for their filter, $4500 for filter/chlorinator combo) and rainsoft (Pure fking timeshare-esque sales presentation.) is happy.

If I burn out the filter in a year because I needed a chlorinator, they'll replace the filter if I buy a chlorinator.  I will still be ahead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a solution to your problem but I figured I would chime in as far as softener experience. I have the Rain Soft EC4 system. Yes their sales gimmick seems a lot like that but the system flat out works and works great. I had similar odor and it got worse after a hard rain. On top of that I had iron, a lot of iron. I'm talking brand new house and well and within a week I knew we were in gonna have some headaches.

Just putting their sales pitch aside I believe if you went with a Rain Soft softener you would be happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top