Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
2 coats each of red and white paint are done. They should be done curing by now, since the last coat of the last color was sprayed Monday night.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
AWESOME!!!

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice job so far! I would have just turned it into a beer cooler
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AWESOME!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

AWESOME!!!

I'm pretty happy with the paint. My husband did an awesome job! (Stupid eyeglasses are a pain in the rear.)

Quoted:

There are most definitely plans for beer to be in some of the shelves. One of the neater aspects of this particular coke machine is that it can dispense cans and bottles of any size, because it has fully-adjustable tracks for each dispenser.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
beautiful
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm pretty happy with the paint. My husband did an awesome job! (Stupid eyeglasses are a pain in the rear.)

There are most definitely plans for beer to be in some of the shelves. One of the neater aspects of this particular coke machine is that it can dispense cans and bottles of any size, because it has fully-adjustable tracks for each dispenser.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AWESOME!!!

Quoted:

Mine is the older type which was designed to take 8 oz or 12 oz returnables only.  I got it before Mexican cokes were readily available, so I tried to put 20 oz plastic bottles in. Just a hair too big - the labels would get scraped off by the gate when I pulled them out.  So it got loaded with Yuenglings, Stuarts sodas for the kids, and not much else.

Pro-tip: If you use it for beer but have kids/strangers around, wire a magnetic reed switch into the coin acceptor circuit and place it at some random place on the inside of the metal body of the machine.  Don't mark it's location.  When you want the machine to be able to discharge it's load, stick a magnet on the machine at that location.  The reed switch will make and the coin acceptor will work.  When done, remove the magnet or move it away from the location of the switch and the machine will accept coins, but won't release the mechanism.  

This thread has inspired me to get my own machine out of storage and fire it up.  My son asked me why now instead of previously; I reminded him that having a soda machine filled with beer in a house with an alcoholic (his mother) wasn't that great an idea.  I have my own place now and have finally freed up some room, so time to restock!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah-HA! Found the sources I used before:

Fun-Tronics is the place that had the massive printed catalog.

The Soda Jerk Works I think grew out of a popular forum started by a hobbyist, then grew to restorations, and now is parts only.  Lots of good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

beautiful
View All Quotes
Quoted:

beautiful

Thanks!

Quoted:

Mine
is the older type which was designed to take 8 oz or 12 oz returnables
only.  I got it before Mexican cokes were readily available, so I tried
to put 20 oz plastic bottles in. Just a hair too big - the labels would
get scraped off by the gate when I pulled them out.  So it got loaded
with Yuenglings, Stuarts sodas for the kids, and not much else.

Pro-tip:
If you use it for beer but have kids/strangers around, wire a magnetic
reed switch into the coin acceptor circuit and place it at some random
place on the inside of the metal body of the machine.  Don't mark it's
location.  When you want the machine to be able to discharge it's load,
stick a magnet on the machine at that location.  The reed switch will
make and the coin acceptor will work.  When done, remove the magnet or
move it away from the location of the switch and the machine will accept
coins, but won't release the mechanism.  

This thread has
inspired me to get my own machine out of storage and fire it up.  My son
asked me why now instead of previously; I reminded him that having a
soda machine filled with beer in a house with an alcoholic (his mother)
wasn't that great an idea.  I have my own place now and have finally
freed up some room, so time to restock!

I'm glad you're getting yours back out!

Quoted:

Ah-HA! Found the sources I used before:

Fun-Tronics is the place that had the massive printed catalog.

The Soda Jerk Works
I think grew out of a popular forum started by a hobbyist, then grew to
restorations, and now is parts only.  Lots of good stuff.

Thanks! I actually ordered replacement springs from one of those back in May, but I don't remember which one.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like your doing a great job.

Looks just my my 63' Cavalier.

-Dero1548
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Looks like your doing a great job.

Looks just my my 63' Cavalier.

-Dero1548
View Quote

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Started re-assembling it!!!

Put the tower back together, and it's looking good.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Too bad you didn't have the time and resources and have the pieces that are suppose to be wood grain, get them hydro dipped in the wood grain pattern. Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
neat project... I cant remember the age right now but we have a glass bottle coke machine
.10 cents a bottle and has an identical coin mechanism in it just scaled down for dimes and nickels

the coin mechanism always gave us fits
but it started keeping everything too cold so it got moved out the shop and just sits in a corner

glass bottles drinks are hard to come by
so it was always filled with 10% coke sprite and dr pepper 90% beer
held like 4 or 5 cases at a time
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
neat project... I cant remember the age right now but we have a glass bottle coke machine
.10 cents a bottle and has an identical coin mechanism in it just scaled down for dimes and nickels

the coin mechanism always gave us fits
but it started keeping everything too cold so it got moved out the shop and just sits in a corner

glass bottles drinks are hard to come by
so it was always filled with 10% coke sprite and dr pepper 90% beer
held like 4 or 5 cases at a time
View Quote

Post pics.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
awesome!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Ah I tried the old F5 trick and can't see shit! Not done, no final pictures or video.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ah I tried the old F5 trick and can't see shit! Not done, no final pictures or video.
View Quote

Me neither!

OP needs to get on with it!

We went on an 8-day vacation. I spent all of yesterday and most of today so far dealing with the critical things after getting back. (My entire yard is consumed by weeds! How does that happen in 8 days?!)

I'm heading to the hardware store this afternoon to buy insulation. The plan is to (glue??) the insulation in the cabinet and then get the cold box mounted tonight.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Me neither!

We went on an 8-day vacation. I spent all of yesterday and most of today so far dealing with the critical things after getting back. (My entire yard is consumed by weeds! How does that happen in 8 days?!)

I'm heading to the hardware store this afternoon to buy insulation. The plan is to (glue??) the insulation in the cabinet and then get the cold box mounted tonight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither!

Just a friendly bump.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Me neither!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither!

Make sure you put the moisture barriers back up or you will start to rust out the panels from the inside where condensation will form.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Progress!

New insulation! After much comparison and debate, we decided to use R-13 fiberglass insulation. The foam insulation boards don't come thick enough, and would have required a bunch of layers and possible air cavities, and were also really expensive. The HVAC insulation is also not thick enough and would have required multiple layers.

We also replaced the support blocks that hold up the cold box. They were originally wood, and had mostly rotted away. We bought plastic lumber, screwed 2 pieces together, cut it down to size, and then resined them together to hopefully provide more support along the seam.

The cold box and the original gaskets are back in place!!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Compressor and cooling system are re-mounted. And now we can work on it in the house, which is so much cooler than the garage! Yay!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
looks like a fun project
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#23]
It's coming together! And it actually kind of looks like a Coke machine!

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#24]
No updates this weekend. The part we need got lost in the mail (grrr, stupid ups). A replacement is supposed to be in the "fastest shipping" but who knows what that means.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Still hoping you add back original wood look.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Large slabs of rigid Styrofoam insulation are sold at Home Depot, etc for home insulation.  This has a vapor barrier on both sides.  Do not make tight seams because,...

Use a can of spray insulation to fill/seal the seams.  This will also hold the Styrofoam in place.  When dry, trim any excess to create clean, square corners.

No matter how well you paint the surfaces, the rust will recur unless you provide a way to drain the condensation.  Consider something like a powder coating of the box to provide maximum water-resistance.

ETA - stupid me, I did not notice this had four pages to it and you were past the insulation portion of the project.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Large slabs of rigid Styrofoam insulation are sold at Home Depot, etc for home insulation.  This has a vapor barrier on both sides.  Do not make tight seams because,...

Use a can of spray insulation to fill/seal the seams.  This will also hold the Styrofoam in place.  When dry, trim any excess to create clean, square corners.

No matter how well you paint the surfaces, the rust will recur unless you provide a way to drain the condensation.  Consider something like a powder coating of the box to provide maximum water-resistance.

ETA - stupid me, I did not notice this had four pages to it and you were past the insulation portion of the project.
View Quote

We have all done that. At least you realized it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#29]
New wiring harnesses are done, and LEDs are installed to replace the old fluorescent tubes. We've tested all of the electrical, and amazingly it all works.

Now to strip out all of the new wiring and shrink-wrap them...

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#30]
It's almost there!

Things that we've finished:

All the new wiring has been heat-shrunk..

We stuffed new insulation into the door and put the door panel back on.

We got the soda-door re-built with new glass and new hinge springs and rods. We assembled and disassembled it 4 times before we got it put together correctly...

With the door closed, it looks done!

We have a few minor things to do before we can run it chilled, but it should be pretty quick. (LOL).
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#31]
that's amazing.  it would look wonderful in my garage, full of chilled mexican coke goodness
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Neat!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]

We still need to work on 1 last thing before we can run it. We got busy with other more pressing issues and haven't had a chance to work on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We still need to work on 1 last thing before we can run it. We got busy with other more pressing issues and haven't had a chance to work on it.
View Quote

Does this one last thing involve wood grain appliqué? looking great!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Talked to my Dad and my machine will be coming down in a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Talked to my Dad and my machine will be coming down in a month or so.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#37]
It's done! The final bits of sealing got finished over the long weekend, and we loaded it up with various cans and bottles for a test run.

Unfortunately, in doing so, we discovered a problem: the thermostat is (probably?) broken.

We re-installed the existing compressor, fan, and thermostat because they ran when we got it. Except that we didn't run it very long, considering the condition it was in. When we finally got to restart it, the thermostat didn't ever shut off in 6 hours of running, and the internal temperature got down to 20*F!

We unplugged it and haven't decided what to do about it yet. Blargh.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's done! The final bits of sealing got finished over the long weekend, and we loaded it up with various cans and bottles for a test run.

Unfortunately, in doing so, we discovered a problem: the thermostat is (probably?) broken.

We re-installed the existing compressor, fan, and thermostat because they ran when we got it. Except that we didn't run it very long, considering the condition it was in. When we finally got to restart it, the thermostat didn't ever shut off in 6 hours of running, and the internal temperature got down to 20*F!

View Quote

If you can't find an appropriate thermostat, just remove it (so the compressor always runs) then use a PID like this one to control the compressor. Let me know if you decide to go that route and I can help you set it up - I've done it for a few brewing projects.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you can't find an appropriate thermostat, just remove it (so the compressor always runs) then use a PID like this one to control the compressor. Let me know if you decide to go that route and I can help you set it up - I've done it for a few brewing projects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thermostats for those things are cheap and readily available.  It's likely that in the removal and installation the capillary tube developed a leak, either at a joint or a kink, etc. Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
How are you making out Watercat?  Did a new t-stat get it working?

It has been a cool project to watch, you and the other half did a nice rebuild!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

How are you making out Watercat?  Did a new t-stat get it working?

It has been a cool project to watch, you and the other half did a nice rebuild!
View Quote
Thank you!

Life has gotten in the way, and we haven't made any progress on figuring out the temperature issue.

The spouse plans on pulling out the whole refrigeration unit and troubleshooting it part by part... eventually... when everything else that is more critical gets done.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Know the feeling of being too busy, thanks for the update.

Good luck over there, hope things settle down for you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#43]
If your looking for a way to get the unit up and running inexpensively (at least temporarily) you might want to look at this temperature controller - STC-1000

I use one on my homebuilt 4 tap keezer (converted freezer/kegerator), it's inexpensive and it's been running for years keeping my keezer at the proper temp.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top