Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 8:51:43 AM EDT
Doing some cleaning up and there is alot of paints, car cleaning stuff, old garden sprays, etc that need to go.
I can't seem to find any info online in my area about where to take it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Our town has an annual hazmat day where you can drop of stuff for free (with some restrictions.)  Other than that, punch holes in the lids of the paint cans and let them dry out.  Then they can be put in the trash.  It takes a long time for a gallon of paint to fully dry though, I had a couple cans in the garage for a couple years.  It helps if you can put them somewhere where they are in direct sunlight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]

If you have an old Rubbermaid tub, you can just pour thin layers into it until the paint is gone/dried.  I've used that method before.  The key is to pour thin layers.

Or you can check with your local landfill.  Ours has a free collection point for that sort of stuff.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Kitty litter in the paint buckets....when it dries our landfill will take them then....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kitty litter in the paint buckets....when it dries our landfill will take them then....
View Quote

Yup. For any latex paint, stir in kitty litter and let harden. Then throw it away.

Oil based paints and the other items mentioned in OP should be taken to a hazardous waste disposal location. My county runs one that's open once a month for residents, and my city runs one in the spring and one in the fall. Call your city hall or county health department if you can't find any info on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
What about spray cans?
Nobody seems to have a clue about what to do with a sack full of arisols in this area, just housepaint.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What about spray cans?

Nobody seems to have a clue about what to do with a sack full of arisols in this area, just housepaint.
View Quote
We are legal to burn household trash here but I don't like empty or almost empty aerosol cans popping off in it.  So I drop them down into a metal trash can and then pop them with a pump up bb gun on low power.  They spray the left overs out all over the inside of the trash can, and it dries quickly.  Then later I gather up the empty cans and drop them in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
yup.  Garbage bag in a tub, layer of litter, layer of stuff, mix, wait.  Repeat.  Discard bag when sufficiently dry.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of spreading out a sheet of visqueen to pour paint on in the sun, a lot more surface area for it to quickly dry.  Need to do this, previous owner at my house left about 3 dozen paint cans 1/3 full, but we've already changed colors...and he left them in the uninsulated garage, where they froze...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard of spreading out a sheet of visqueen to pour paint on in the sun, a lot more surface area for it to quickly dry.  Need to do this, previous owner at my house left about 3 dozen paint cans 1/3 full, but we've already changed colors...and he left them in the uninsulated garage, where they froze...
View Quote

You could do that, or you could buy a bag of kitty litter and stir it into the cans with a scrap stick of wood. The kitty litter trick is so simple to do and you can do it inside at night, while raining, whatever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#10]
There are actual hazmat centers around here that you can drop off anything just short of radioactive material.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
County or township hazmat day.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We are legal to burn household trash here but I don't like empty or almost empty aerosol cans popping off in it.  So I drop them down into a metal trash can and then pop them with a pump up bb gun on low power.  They spray the left overs out all over the inside of the trash can, and it dries quickly.  Then later I gather up the empty cans and drop them in the trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about spray cans?

What is the reason for discharging the contents of the spray can before throwing the can in the trash?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What is the reason for discharging the contents of the spray can before throwing the can in the trash?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about spray cans?

To release the pressure so that they're not dangerous. If a garbage man throws a bag with pressurized aerosol cans in the truck and activates the hydraulic press, something could crush or puncture the aerosol can and possibly send things flying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top