Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 9:41:22 AM EDT
First mow of the season I didn't check under the deck and the blade got jammed up on a hunk of grass that was under it.

After that it didn't have any power and died out when I tried to mow. Dumped the fuel and put new fuel in and tried again. Mowed for about 20 minutes and then would stall if I tried to cut anything.

Next day same thing, mowed for 20 minutes and then stall.

Yesterday I tried a 3rd time first start was rough and a bunch of black smoke came out of the exhaust then  it would just stutter and stall out, if I manually played with the carb/choke I could get it to rev and stay running. But I had to keep moving it or it would balance out and stall again. Now it won't even start.

Mower is still under warranty but I'm afraid I messed it up by not checking the deck for debris. Basically I have 20 minutes to decide on buying or borrowing a mower.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You Like sheared the key. Pull the flywheel off of the top of the motor and you should find it.

Common problem and easy fix
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ide figure if I sheered a key it wouldn't even try to turn over? Or wouldn't have power from the start.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
When that key shears the ignition timing is off. Frequently they act like yours.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Key is intact and flywheel is aligned...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost hate to ask, did you check the blade mounting? If that is sheared they frequently don't have enough flywheel effect to run.

About the only other thing you would hurt is possibly bending the crank, but your symptoms don't sound right.

If it weren't for circumstances I would tell you to put a primer bulb in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't use a manual primer. I'll check the underside in the am.

I'm also going to spray down the carb and drain/rinse the fuel tank.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything on the underside looks good.

I'm thinking its not getting fuel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be - ethanol gas tends to plug everything up. Seems odd that it would be coincident with the blade strike.

Cleaning out the new carbs tends to be a pain.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The blade strike was the first time I tried starting it this year. (probably should have clarified that in the first post) Thats why Im nervous I broke something, but it might just be a fuel issue. I'll probably go at it saturday and post as to what the outcome is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Put preservative in mine last fall, could NOT start it this spring, except for one or two times where it ran, but poorly. Drained the tank, put fresh gas in and it started first pull.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#12]
change the in line fuel filter
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
fuel is pouring out of the line when i disconnect it, but i will probably change out the filter next.

put the gas in another mower and it ran fine. changed the plug and sprayed down the carb a bit and it still wont turn over.

might tear the carb apart or just bring it back as it is still under factory warranty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#15]
changed out the spark plug and cleaned out the ports in the brass screw that holds the carb bowl on... put a little bit of gas in it and it ran like a champ for a solid minute.

I cut it off, put the plastic cover back on the top and filled it with fuel and now it wont start again... im pissed...
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
My toro timecutter 1642z had the EXACT same problem. Replaced the carb and it fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I got to messing around with it again... It ended up being the carb jets. I had ran a piece of wire through it but it clogged up again. Used some tip cleaners and it runs like a champ now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Obama gas
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I gave up on regular gas last year.

I clean my equipment after every use.  Every year I did a complete tune-up on my equipment that included draining the fuel, changing the oil, and new spark plugs.  I have shopped at four different gas stations, from regular gas to supreme.  And no joke, in the last three years, all my carbs needed replacement.  After my trip last year to the local shop for parts, they said 75% of his work is carb related and to stop using local fuel.  He told me to start using the fuel in a can for everything but the tractor.

A year later, I have had zero problems.  I checked the carb on the Stihl blower and Toro mower this weekend and I was shocked how damn clean it was.  I calculated it cost me $60 more last year instead of regular gas, but I am not wasting time at the bench or borrowing stuff from neighbors while I wait for parts.  I rather do this and save my time and headaches, and not worry if it "sits" in the tank for some reason.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top