Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
Any opinions of any of the various app or computer controlled irrigation controllers out there?

I have a basic irrigation controller now(Hunter Pro-C) but I'd like to upgrade to something that takes into account the predicted weather instead of just the simple rain sensor I have now. I'd like to be able to flex the schedule based on the condition of the grass. Not simply watering on a static schedule but be able to easily tweak settings on the fly (say run tomorrow morning if the grass is showing the signs of wilting this evening). I'm also on the road a lot so I am starting to appreciate a connected house. I have connected thermostats, smoke & CO2 alarms, cameras, and lighting controllers. This seems to be the next logical step.

The more I read about the proper cultivation of St. Augustine the more it seems like it's better to water when it shows signs of wilting instead of on a rigid schedule. Similar to mowing when the grass gets to be a certain height vs. mowing every Saturday. Water when the grass needs it vs. on a regular schedule. I would be more likely to do this if I can fire it off from my iPhone. Constantly re-programming the Hunter controller becomes a pain in the ass.

Need at least 6 stations. No need for pump relay control. Would like something that takes input from internet weather service as well as physical local sensors. Wired or Wifi is cool. I can drop a cable if needed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any opinions of any of the various app or computer controlled irrigation controllers out there?

I have a basic irrigation controller now(Hunter Pro-C) but I'd like to upgrade to something that takes into account the predicted weather instead of just the simple rain sensor I have now. I'd like to be able to flex the schedule based on the condition of the grass. Not simply watering on a static schedule but be able to easily tweak settings on the fly (say run tomorrow morning if the grass is showing the signs of wilting this evening). I'm also on the road a lot so I am starting to appreciate a connected house. I have connected thermostats, smoke & CO2 alarms, cameras, and lighting controllers. This seems to be the next logical step.

The more I read about the proper cultivation of St. Augustine the more it seems like it's better to water when it shows signs of wilting instead of on a rigid schedule. Similar to mowing when the grass gets to be a certain height vs. mowing every Saturday. Water when the grass needs it vs. on a regular schedule. I would be more likely to do this if I can fire it off from my iPhone. Constantly re-programming the Hunter controller becomes a pain in the ass.

Need at least 6 stations. No need for pump relay control. Would like something that takes input from internet weather service as well as physical local sensors. Wired or Wifi is cool. I can drop a cable if needed.
View Quote

I don't know much about a truly connected controller, but I do have a Rainbird ESP-SMTe  evaporative transpiration controller, it uses historical data for your zip code and actual rainfall measurements to determine how much water to apply.  It is not connected and does not make a weather prediction, but is leaps and bounds ahead of a conventional controller.  I have noticeably smaller water bills compared to before when I just had the regular Rainbird ESP controller.  The ET  controller is a plug in swap for Rainbird ESP modular controllers, but probably doesn't help you with a Hunter.  The big down side is the rain sensor is larger than most sensors, and is wired.  It only distinguishes between warm and cold season grasses and does not have specific grass types beyond that.

If I were on the road, I would want to be able to shut off the system remotely in case a leak occurs.  That way if a neighbor calls to let you know, you can shut it off and leave it off versus having to have them to access and mess with an unfamiliar system in an attempt to turn it off for you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input. I'll look at those sensors. They sound good.

Neighbor had access to the main shutoff valve in case of a big emergency. I have thought of putting some remote controlled solenoid valves on the service line to the house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm mulling a similar investment.  The Rachio IRO sounds like a nice unit in this space, no personal experience yet.

Check your utility's website, many offer rebates up to 50% for smart controllers and moisture devices.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The product you're looking for is called OpenSprinkler. It does everything you're looking for.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The product you're looking for is called OpenSprinkler. It does everything you're looking for.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

just what I was looking for.  
I have been using an irrigation caddy for a couple years. works but the support sucks and good luck getting anything done under warranty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top