Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
Summer's coming up and I must replace the bearings on my swamp cooler. I've got things torn down to the point where I'm ready to remove the bearings and pulley. I've removed the pillow blocks and the shaft and squirrel cage are hanging loose. I've also removed the outer collar that keeps the shaft from moving lengthwise.

My question is, is there anything affixing the actual bearing to the shaft, or can I simply pull it off with a bearing puller? Someone told me that there is an inner collar or something that needs to be removed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It should slide off.  Yours may be rusted on.   There should be a collar or something to prevent the shaft from walking to one side.

There is a youtube video on this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it really a bearing or just a bronze bushing in a stamped steel housing with a rubber grommet around it?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it really a bearing of just a bronze bushing in a stamped steel housing with a rubber grommet around it?
https://www.amresupply.com/thumbnail/product/656311/300/335/67-4147-2.jpg
View Quote

It's the bronze bushing, surrounded bya  horseshoe-shaped stamped metal holder. I've removed the staped metal and the rubber thing, revealing a bronze-colored outer bearing and a bronze inner bearing.

SOMEone on Youtube wants everyone to believe that the bearing SHAFT is the bearing surface!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's the bronze bushing, surrounded bya  horseshoe-shaped stamped metal holder. I've removed the staped metal and the rubber thing, revealing a bronze-colored outer bearing and a bronze inner bearing.

SOMEone on Youtube wants everyone to believe that the bearing SHAFT is the bearing surface!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it really a bearing or just a bronze bushing in a stamped steel housing with a rubber grommet around it?

Post a pic or two?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I would put in new pillows with a actual ball bearings.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it really a bearing of just a bronze bushing in a stamped steel housing with a rubber grommet around it?

There are several different makes/models.  This is quite possible.  On many Chevrolet rear axle setups, the actual axle is a bearing surface that rollers ride on.  Retrofit self contained bearings are available for this.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not too sure that ball bearings would work well in that environment: dusty, damp all the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not too sure that ball bearings would work well in that environment: dusty, damp all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, with the right grease, they'll work fine.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Come on Frank just ditch that swamp thing and go refrigerated air, its only money
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay: to my astonishment, the shaft IS the bearing. It's up to the homeowner to keep it lubricated during the hot months when it is operating.

The shaft turns on a large brass/bronze ball. In my case, the shaft had seized and the ball was turning inside the rubber mount. It was well-lubricated but I didn't catch on till I tore things apart.

I had the devil of a time removing it! Eventually I ground the shaft off on either side of the air impeller (the inside of the 'squirrel cage'). I did this inside and outside, thinking I could pound the shaft out of the boss on the air impeller.

The swamp cooler told me to pound sand. Those shaft parts might as well have been epoxied inside the boss; for all I tried, I couldn't get them out.

Finally I disassembled a hack saw, pushed the blade through the inside of the hollow shaft (thank God these shafts are hollow!) and cut a notch lengthwise in the shaft. A couple taps with a punch, and they slipped out!

This is what was left on one side:

I'm including this AAR to illustrate that it can be done. I had to block the air impeller with a couple of 2x4s to make it solid enough to use a hacksaw.

If it'd been a professional job, they would have replaced the entire cooler assembly before doing all this work; installers typically charge $75/hour for this work. However, I have more time than money to spend on this project. And I'm a glutton for punishment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sealed greasable pillow blocks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
AAhhhhhh....  !!

I now bask in the flow of cool, damp air coursing through my house and across my pate! Finished the job, water is pumping, air is blowing... the world is good!

Thanks to all for the advice and good wishes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top