Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
Hey guys,

So I just pulled some crappy lino up from the floor of my "gun room" in the basement. This stuff was ugly.... like almost burn down the house ugly.  It used to be setup as a kitchen/living room for like a mother-in-law apartment in the basement according to the neighbors.  So anyhow, I am still tearing out lino.  Looks like the assholes used liquid nails under a big part where it wouldn't stick how they wanted or something so I'm having to use a torch to heat and scrape.... and heat.. and scrape...

So with that as a preface, I kind of want to epoxy the floor once I'm done.  I'd like it to be a storage/gun room, but I'd like it to look good too without breaking the bank. The wife is going to be out of town for a few days, and I've heard this stuff stinks so I'd like to get it done while she's gone. The floor seems pretty even (but haven't really "tested" it) except near the center where there is an oblong and fairly serious dip into the floor drain.  Looks like the drain itself is on a slope of the dip so is crooked.

So, two things:

Any suggestions on what type of epoxy to use on the floors? Should I put poly on top?

Should I level the floor first, and if so how would I go about leveling this drain?!

Lemme see if I can get a good pic with the phone so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

ETA: Added a few pics so you guys can see what I'm talkin about

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Self leveling underlayment
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
How old is your house?  
Do you know approximately when the old linoleum was installed?  

Is the glue yellowish?

I'd be VERY VERY concerned that the linoleum or even more likely, the glue contains Asbestos.  Very bad to inhale.  Made worse by heating & scraping...
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is your house?  Do you know approximately when the old linoleum was installed?  
Is the glue yellowish?

I'd be VERY VERY concerned that the linoleum or even more likely, the glue contains Asbestos.  Very bad to inhale.  Made worse by heating & scraping...
View Quote

Read up on SLU.  You may be able to lay it down right over the old linoleum (probably not but you never know).

nm, that is a seriously bad idea given your description of the linoleum installation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, btw...

If you haven't finished removing the linoleum, most of the home stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc...) will rent you a small electric floor scraper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Legacy Industrial.  They have great customer service and great products.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoa! Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure how fast I would get any in here.  Sorry I didn't get a pic up yet, but I think you guys will see why I'm worried about just doing the self leveler.

I don't think asbestos is a concern? The house was built in 79 and no idea when the lino was put in, but it was clearly done post construction.

The glue is dark yellow'ish. It looks (to me anyway) just like dried liquid nails.  It's only on part of the room and there is a distinct difference from the areas they used that vs not.  I'll get a couple pics into the original post!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whoa! Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure how fast I would get any in here.  Sorry I didn't get a pic up yet, but I think you guys will see why I'm worried about just doing the self leveler.

I don't think asbestos is a concern? The house was built in 79 and no idea when the lino was put in, but it was clearly done post construction.

The glue is dark yellow'ish. It looks (to me anyway) just like dried liquid nails.  It's only on part of the room and there is a distinct difference from the areas they used that vs not.  I'll get a couple pics into the original post!
View Quote

You are not alone.  Getting mastic to stay adherent to cement is apparently a tough thing to do.  I suspect it is a moisture problem.

Consider using a water spray bottle when scraping.  It will keep airborne dust to minimum and lubes the scraper blade.  Using a wet/dry shop vac in a "clean as you go" mode will suck up the wet stuff, any dust and small debris.  The large chunks are easy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If the floor slopes in all directions to the drain, I would leave it that way.

If you want to level the drain, you will have to hammer up some concrete.  You might be able to cut the riser pipe and reconnect it with a band clamp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If the floor slopes in all directions to the drain, I would leave it that way.

If you want to level the drain, you will have to hammer up some concrete.  You might be able to cut the riser pipe and reconnect it with a band clamp.

View Quote

Well that doesn't sound like something I could finish in a few days... not with my luck anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I may just try to build up some concrete around it with that grate set in the top.  Not optimal I know, but I can come back to it again later and have it properly replaced.

Got most of lino backing up now. Going to need to move the water heater and the safe out of there to get those spots then start with some leveling and patchwork!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top