Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 9:23:50 PM EDT
I have a small second floor walk in closet that squeaks like crazy when walked on and is even louder when listening from the first floor. I have planned to pull the carpet back, throw some screws into the floor where it meets the joists and hope that works. Any other ideas? I guess I could go from below, but that would require opening up the 1st floor ceiling. The closet is small. How hard is going to be to get the carpet back down and stretched tight? What tools or supplies do I need?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
There are special screws that can be driven through the carpet. The heads "snap off" after installation.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Tom Silva on This Old House did at least two episodes on this.  And both times he used the snap off screws.  I took note in case I ever needed it in my old house.  Although I have not, my sister, neighbor and my co-worker did.  I did it for them with the kit and it solved the issue for all.  Take note of the brand:  O'Berry Enterprises

There are a few "copycats" but O'Berry was the first one with the "Squeeeeek No More" and has the money back guarantee.  The copycats use Chinese made crap screws that are garbage.  You can get O'berrys kit on Amazon and at the big Orange store.  I think we paid $18 for it.  Just search the net for "Squeeeeek No More."    

http://www.oberry-enterprises.com/carpeted.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We had some obnoxious squeaks that were not related to subfloor/joist movement.  It was subfloor / wall sole plate movement.  I stopped most of them by removing baseboard trim and installing screws every foot or so at an angle through the drywall, through the sole plate, and into the subfloor.

Something to try if you have squeaks remaining.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing something about the snap off screws. That will be awesome if they work...I'm going to check them out right now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Let us know if it works, I have the same problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let us know if it works, I have the same problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Will do. Just ordered the kit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What about for hardwood floors on the 2nd story of my home.  I have a few spots that are terrible.  I don't want to drive nails and split them or leave screws exposed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about for hardwood floors on the 2nd story of my home.  I have a few spots that are terrible.  I don't want to drive nails and split them or leave screws exposed.
View Quote

Same company above has a kit for hardwoods too
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same company above has a kit for hardwoods too
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tom Silva on This Old House did at least two episodes on this.  And both times he used the snap off screws.  I took note in case I ever needed it in my old house.  Although I have not, my sister, neighbor and my co-worker did.  I did it for them with the kit and it solved the issue for all.  Take note of the brand:  O'Berry Enterprises

There are a few "copycats" but O'Berry was the first one with the "Squeeeeek No More" and has the money back guarantee.  The copycats use Chinese made crap screws that are garbage.  You can get O'berrys kit on Amazon and at the big Orange store.  I think we paid $18 for it.  Just search the net for "Squeeeeek No More."    

http://www.oberry-enterprises.com/carpeted.html
View Quote

The kit arrived today. Used the joist finder tool to find the joists. I put some blue painters tape down on my drill points, followed the instructions, and within 10 minutes, I was squeak free. These were really loud obnoxious squeeks. No telling how long this will last, but for now, best $20 I have spent in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you were able to fix it for $20 too!  That kit is well worth the money!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Around my place you can't fins a type, style, or brand of screw that does not have a snap off head!!!

Ya I've used them to do floors. They work pretty well.

EBR666
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top