Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
Where do you guys keep sockets if you have a stand up tool box?  I just upgraded to a larger box and for some reason find myself doubting my layout.  I've always kept ratchets and sockets near the top drawers, but this box has one of those larger drawers that spans the width of the bottom box.  Seems like I could get all of the various sets in there without having to hunt between two or three smaller drawers.

The answer is likely to just lay it out however works for you, but I'm wondering if there's a strategy that you pros use.

The new box is 52" with 2 drawers on each drawer layer.  One 2/3 wide and one 1/3 wide.  The exception is one the one deeper drawer that spans all the way across.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a small craftsman style box, i think 36" wide

All my standard depth sockets and socket wrenches in one drawer, sorted by 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. I have them on socket rails, in case that wasn't obvious.

Next drawer down has all the extensions and deep well sockets, again sorted by 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Also specialty sockets and breaker bar.

Just lay it out so you can get to it easily and can easily see the sockets. Put it in a strong drawer by the way, all those sockets get heavy
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Check this out... http://www.ernstmfg.com/ .

You can also get a drink out of a fire hydrant at garagejournal.com.

hth

-hanko
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

There it is.  Sockets and ratchets in the big drawer of the rolling box.  If you had a top chest over that box do you think you would still use that drawer?  On my old box I used the drawers higher up but I feel like I'm doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There it is.  Sockets and ratchets in the big drawer of the rolling box.  If you had a top chest over that box do you think you would still use that drawer?  On my old box I used the drawers higher up but I feel like I'm doing it wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes. It's also the drawer I used in my old smaller box.

Once I get the top box (been a low priority, too cold this winter to hang out in the garage), the sockets will stay in that drawer. The ratchets, breaker bars, extensions, and torque wrenches might go into the top box.

Eta: I've toyed with the idea of putting the sockets in the very top of the top box (once I get it). Not sure if I'll do that or not.

Also, not a pro. Worked as an auto tech while in college, but it was just routine maintenance, steering/suspension, brakes, tires, etc..... no engine/tranny buikds for me. I'm now just a weekend warrior

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My boxes aren't very wide.  I have a Craftsman roll around with the top box as well.  I have one drawer with metric sockets (all sizes as well as impact sockets), one for SAE, and a third drawer for ratchets and breaker bars.  I keep my torque wrenches in another drawer all together and also keep them in their protective boxes.

If I had a wide drawer box, I would probably keep both SAE and metric sockets in the same drawer but on different sides.  I'd probably keep the ratchets and breaker bars in a separate drawer but it would depend on how much room I had to work with.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out Garage Journal, specifically this thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466
776 pages of toolboxes and plenty that show how they've organized the drawers.

Zach
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]
All my 1/2" deep sockets are standing upright in the chest top box under the lid, normal depth are on socket racks like VA's pic above.  It's in the top because it's hard to see anything else up there.  The rest of the 3/8" and 1/4" are in one drawer, again on racks.  I'm tall so most frequently used tools go into the 8 drawer chest.  

Drawer order for me from top down screwdrivers, metric wrenches, standard wrenches, sockets, weird crap(filter wrenches, ring compressors, ezouts, plastiguage, pilot shafts, etc.  Pliers, visegrips, airtools, electric tools and anything needing it's own box(compression tester, insertsetter, micrometers, torque wrenches, etc) are divided into the lower rollaway.   Heavy and large, like hammers, go in the bottom 9" drawer.

I have a cart I use for most frequently used autobody stuff, dollys, spoons, more hammers, welding visegrips, airtools.  Everything is visible on the top shelf for frequent tool swaps.  The bottom of the cart has boxed stuff, portapower, pin welder, frame measuring stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine all fit in the extra wide drawer at the top of my box, as it was designed (Snap-on KRL 1033), wrenches all fit in the 2nd drawer down.

Normally, I try and organize my tools with the most frequently used at the top/center of the box and then work my way out and down.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.  I have some good ideas now.  Thanks so much guys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Put your most used tools in the easiest drawers to access. If they are to big, put them in the easiest drawer to access that will fit them. Typically sockets are most used, along with air tools, though they usually don't fit in the same drawers. Pliers and wrenches, then everything else. You don't need to access air tools constantly though, so they can go lower, which is good for a variety of reasons. The bottom drawer is for stuff you don't need to access much.

1/4 and 3/8 used 95% of the time, 1/2 can go in a less accessible drawer. Also, 1/2 are very heavy, so weigh down drawers... may be better off keeping them out of much used drawers.

The problem with really wide drawers is that they get heavy, so opening them every time you need a socket can be tiresome.

If you don't have a top box, put a wood top of some sort on it.

If you have a cart, sometimes it is a better place for the oft-used stuff, changes what you put in the box a bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Craftsman makes a set of plastic trays with holes, I have one draw for each (1/4",3/8",1/2") then a sheet of aluminum with the standard socket rails rails pop riveted to in in another box. 3/4" & 1" stuff has it's own draw
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The Hansen racks are perfect, if your drawers are tall enough for them.
For 1/2" drive, I prefer the Lisle socket trays.  
If your box is upgradable, put double drawer slides on the tall drawers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top