Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 11:02:08 PM EDT
I bought my house a couple of years ago and it has a gas fireplace in the living room thats sitting in a "doghouse." I started to get a gas smell coming from it while it was off and shut off the case running to it and called to have it inspected. It turns out the module that controls the fan, gas and remote started to break. They said they cannot order a new module for it because of the age. Its original to the house so ~1998.

Of course with the doghouse design I am getting a little bit of a draft and the company I am working with is pushing me in the direct of a Vent Free unit versus a Direct Vent (which is what I have now). The room I have the fireplace in spans two stories, open ceiling design, and I am nervous about a vent free versus a direct vent.

I am trying to keep my costs down I will probably be looking to move within the next 4-5 years. I really don't have a budget maybe keeping it all $2-3K. Any suggestions or recommendations for vent free vs direct vent?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Easy.  Remove that crap and burn wood in it.  Otherwise it isn't a fire place, it is a non-cooking stove.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So you are shopping for an insert.  Tell us more.  Do you want heat from it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy.  Remove that crap and burn wood in it.  Otherwise it isn't a fire place, it is a non-cooking stove.
View Quote

I just installed a wood burning insert.  I will never use an open fireplace again.  I get much more heat now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I want heat in it. Unfortunately a wood fireplace isn't going to happen. The reason I am asking for the difference between DirectVent and Vent Free is two fold.

1) the existing Gas Fireplace is a direct vent and is located in a large room. A vent free will not operate with fans so I think it will have issues moving the heat through the room.

2) i have a kid on the way and the way this fireplace is a wood burning fireplace / vent free fire place doesn't seem that safe.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a lot of controversy surrounding "vent free" appliances, including gas fired stoves and cooktops.

The issue is where do the flue gasses go?

In a perfect burning flame the only byproducts are water and CO2, but it's rare to have a perfect burning flame. Common sense tells me that unless you stick to a very strict maintenance schedule which would include cleaning the pilot, cleaning the burners, setting up gas pressure(s), and doing a combustion analysis, I would never trust a vent free appliance in my house around my family.

On the flip side, everyone with a vent free appliance, or any fossil fuel appliance, should have a good crbon monoxide detector in their home. But here is the catch... Many of the CO detectors on the market alarm well above the Personal Allowable Limit (PEL) for exposure. So you may be stewing in CO gases well above the PEL for days, weeks, or, months and not even know it.

I am personally against vent free appliances, because I see how lazy people get with their vented appliances, no way in hell they realize the dangers of vent free.
View Quote

Thanks. I was reading about that last night. After I got home and did some research I think I am going to stick with a direct vent unit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
We won't work on ANY non vented fireplaces, wall heaters, ect.

You already have a vent, the hard part is done already.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have natural gas or propane?  

This might be a question for the ones that know but since you already have a gas fireplace, can't you just replace the log set?  That should be cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a natural gas unit. I don't think i can replace the log set because the fan/regulator is on the bottom of the unit. It's looking like I will need to replace the unit as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#12]
So with no help from the company I had come out and look at my unit I was able to find the part that broke on my fire place which costs $320. I have no faith in the company that had come out and look at it because they prefer vent less units over direct vent units and have been a little shady about their what they charge.

I am happy I do not need to replace the entire until but a little pissed at this company.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top