Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 6:08:56 PM EDT
who has one?
how does it work?
what brand is it?

i looked at the baracuda one at menards but was unimpressed with the data. they claim 24 hour run time but they dont say how often it can run in that 24 hours.
25-35 gal per min seems to be the norm for battery backup pumps.
i dont get all that much water in my basement crock, however if its raining heavy and power does go out, it could flood possibly.
I found out that my generator cant run my sump pump, either the 2 extension cord length was too far or it didnt have enough power to run the unit.

so im looking at automated battery backup systems that will save me the trouble of running to get the generator up and running if the power goes out.
any insight would be much appreciated
thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the basement watchdog combo upgraded to the 7.5hr battery. Says it will do 100 hours at a 10% duty cycle or 12 hours continuous. Fairly quiet. Good lift capacity. Power has never been out long enough to have me worried.

The alarm is annoying as fuck though. While you can turn it off for a power out situation, you can't for a system fault situation (like a bad battery). Just it's way of saying "fix me you lazy bum!"

That being said, I like how it does have a probe to monitor the battery health. Does mean a non-generic battery but it's not significantly more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the basement watchdog combo upgraded to the 7.5hr battery. Says it will do 100 hours at a 10% duty cycle or 12 hours continuous. Fairly quiet. Good lift capacity. Power has never been out long enough to have me worried.

The alarm is annoying as fuck though. While you can turn it off for a power out situation, you can't for a system fault situation (like a bad battery). Just it's way of saying "fix me you lazy bum!"

That being said, I like how it does have a probe to monitor the battery health. Does mean a non-generic battery but it's not significantly more expensive.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a watchdog, the float switch quit working, then the charger died. I replaced it and the main pump with Zoeller pumps.

I used a Zoeller M53 main and a 507 for the battery backup. Both were durable and quiet.

Zoeller back up pump
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a watchdog, the float switch quit working, then the charger died. I replaced it and the main pump with Zoeller pumps.

I used a Zoeller M53 main and a 507 for the battery backup. Both were durable and quiet.

Zoeller back up pump
View Quote

i like the design of the zoler. as i have a sealed sump pit due to radon in my area.
i was looking at this one before i checked my post here again.
i may pick this unit up.
can i wire multiple batteries together to extend runtime?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
some have said the check valves on the zoler fail.
i had a cheapo home depot check valve fail on me, so i am now leery about these. considering if it fails on the backup pump. the primary pump will just be pumping water into the crock.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WD1L4/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
reading the reviews, it seems the checks fail sometimes, as well as the backup pump has airlock issues.
i wonder what it could cost to fab up a few marine batteries to run my 3/4 HP pump when the power is out. as i dont really need a second pump in the pit as i replace my pumps every 5 years as insurance against failure. old pumps kept on hand as spares should one unit ever fail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The check valve for any sump pump should be installed above the pump outside of the pit. Its a moving part that will eventually fail. The good thing is that it is not brand or hardware specific. You don't have to pull the pump or get a part from your sump manufacturer. Grab a new check valve out of the plumbing aisle, install it in the discharge line and you are good to go.

As far as airlock issues, personally I see that as an installation issue. If improperly installed it will airlock, but when properly installed it will not. (Drill the hole and it will not air lock)
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The check valve for any sump pump should be installed above the pump outside of the pit. Its a moving part that will eventually fail. The good thing is that it is not brand or hardware specific. You don't have to pull the pump or get a part from your sump manufacturer. Grab a new check valve out of the plumbing aisle, install it in the discharge line and you are good to go.

As far as airlock issues, personally I see that as an installation issue. If improperly installed it will airlock, but when properly installed it will not. (Drill the hole and it will not air lock)
View Quote

Dumb question: why does the check valve go above the pit?  Wouldn't that just send the water everywhere, versus just back into the pit?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a generator as backup for power outages for my sump.
Of course that was before the advent of these new backup pumps.
I live on a lake and during high water, my basement floor is below the water table so I depend on the pump.
I keep a spare pump on hand too and instead of having both connected to the same discharge pipe, the backup just pumps out to the yard. That gives me time to fix the problem without other issues getting in the way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
who has one?
how does it work?
what brand is it?

i looked at the baracuda one at menards but was unimpressed with the data. they claim 24 hour run time but they dont say how often it can run in that 24 hours.
i dont get all that much water in my basement crock, however if its raining heavy and power does go out, it could flood possibly.
I found out that my generator cant run my sump pump, either the 2 extension cord length was too far or it didnt have enough power to run the unit.

so im looking at automated battery backup systems that will save me the trouble of running to get the generator up and running if the power goes out.
thanks
View Quote

What do you have for a generator? Mine is only 3k, it was about $450.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Look here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_139/1705080_Back_Up_Sump_Pump.html

If you are NOT on a well, and have "reasonable" water rates in your area, get yourself a water powered back-up pump.  You don't need electrical, just public water supply!  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
who has one?
how does it work?
what brand is it?

thanks
View Quote
 OP you on city water?

http://www.waterdamagedefense.com/products/basepump-rb750-ez-water-powered-backup-sump-pump-w-installation-kit-backflow-preventer?gclid=CjwKEAiAjsunBRCy3LSlz_PJqCgSJACJY7yKUISy7n337gzHiB-Yv3v6AP3w8ASzF3TUAajBr7rLvhoCj13w_wcB

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Look here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_139/1705080_Back_Up_Sump_Pump.html

If you are NOT on a well, and have "reasonable" water rates in your area, get yourself a water powered back-up pump.  You don't need electrical, just public water supply!  

View Quote

That's what I was going to suggest too. No battery maintenance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top