Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 2:25:37 PM EDT
My living room has a good number of outlets around the perimeter but due to the adjoining kitchen and dining room the ideal layout puts the couch and chair in the center, facing the fireplace.  This requires the use of extension cords for lights on the end tables and computer charger, etc.  Visible extension cords are a PITA and kind of ugly.

Home is built on a slab.

LR floor is carpeted but appears to be glued.  

What can I do to bring power over from the wall? Even running a cord plugged into a wall outlet under the carpet would be fine for the time being as it could protrude under the couch or end table.  

Am I SOL until I put new carpet in?  when I do so what is the best approach for floor outlets?

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The right way would be to saw cut a channel in the slab and run conduit underground to add your needed circuits.

But a flat cord ran under carpet with pad might not be a horrible way to go, if your carpet if stretched (not glued) you could use a fish tape to run wire underneath it to the wall
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The right way would be to saw cut a channel in the slab and run conduit underground to add your needed circuits.

But a flat cord ran under carpet with pad might not be a horrible way to go, if your carpet if stretched (not glued) you could use a fish tape to run wire underneath it to the wall
View Quote

IDK if they still sell that flat under carpet cord, but that would be the easy way.   You would still need to surface mount the outlet box, unless you got one of the in floor pvc round boxes.  You would still need to cut concrete for that.

Any way to set a fake 6x6 beam floor to ceiling and feed from above?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with running cords under carpet or rugs is they can built up heat and lead to fires.

Do tons of people do it everyday without a problem.... yes.  Do you want to take that chance?

They make cord covers that lay on top of the carpet but those even say for low voltage.

Likely the safest way is to cut a channel and run conduit as mentioned above... other option is to change the floorplan or add overhead lighting to compensate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
WHAT KIND OF SLAB?  

If that slab is a post tension slab, or you have to idea, DO NOT CUT INTO THE SLAB until you figure it out.  If it is post tension or you don't know, you will need ground penetrating radar or an x-ray done to see where the wires are.  If you cut or drill, you could potentially cut through one of them and have a huge mess on your hands.  Think cutting a cable on a suspension bridge. A snapped tendon could cause serious injury to you or the slab.  And then the slab is shot and you now have a major foundation issue that is not a cheap fix and you must disclose if you try to sell it.    

Not sure when you house was built, but they became widely used starting in the 60's and are used when there us expansive and compressive soil conditions that are prevalent in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, but they are in many other areas.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Drywall?  Make some cuts and do it right.  Run Romex from the box, through the attic, and put it in the wall.  It is not that hard to mud it back up and repaint.  

Do it right.  Call a pro if you don't want to listen to this reasonable, expert advice.

Don't pull carpet, don't touch the slab.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I am aware of the dangers of cutting into a post tension slab but thank you for the warning. While I'm not positive, I did pay very close attention to the slab type and saw no indication of PT construction however I will have it confirmed before I do any cutting just because it is so common around here.  It was built in 07.

Thinking fishing flat large wire is the best bet until I have the time and money to completely tear it up, do a conduit channel and floor outlet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drywall?  Make some cuts and do it right.  Run Romex from the box, through the attic, and put it in the wall.  It is not that hard to mud it back up and repaint.  

Do it right.  Call a pro if you don't want to listen to this reasonable, expert advice.

Don't pull carpet, don't touch the slab.  
View Quote

Point of clarification, there are lots and lots of outlets around the rooms but nothing reachable in the center of the room where couch and chair are.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have to have 120 VAC, or would low voltage do?  There are several flat-wire, under carpet products for low voltage use.  If you are looking for lamps/lighting, that may be an option.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm. All the power adapters and lights are 120vac. Could look at some other options for lights which might be OK.  I'm really not concerned with heat buildup.

Unfortunately it is not suited for a beam from the ceiling.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm. All the power adapters and lights are 120vac. Could look at some other options for lights which might be OK.  I'm really not concerned with heat buildup.

View Quote

Too bad, I've done the beam thing twice for customers,  looked pretty cheezy on paper.  Finished out looked
fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a couple of Flat Wire 120vac products out there, but I do not believe any are UL approved for residential use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, the more I think about it, the more I just want to drill through the concrete and run the conduit under the slab to recessed floor outlets. Going to be $$ though and just not in the budget right now.  

Good idea on the flat wire 120v stuff. I have to imagine there is or will be some UL approved products out there for an interim solution.

Will think some more on it. Thanks for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

^ This.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Distance from exterior wall to desired location?
Slab details?
Digging outside and then boring under the slab is often less work than actually cutting a trench in the concrete.
You do have to spot the location you cross under the exterior wall to intersect and pick up a feed.

It makes a huge dust mess to score a slab and then remove a trench.
3/4 in rigid is often required.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Just re-arrange the furniture.

"Ideal" location needs to accommodate power concerns, so yours is not ideal.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Twelve feet from edge of slab to exterior wall (roof deeply overhangs back porch.)  Call it ten feet from side wall to almost center of room where outlets would be placed.

Reinforced concrete slab.

Would a 3/4" channel in a 6 or 8 inch thick slab weaken it enough to be a crack nexus?  It is a stress riser but I can't see it mattering given the insignificant load through that area.  There appears to have been virtually no settling of what the slab was built on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't let an oversight in construction dictate my use of the room hence wanting to add the extra outlets.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Twelve feet from edge of slab to exterior wall (roof deeply overhangs back porch.)  Call it ten feet from side wall to almost center of room where outlets would be placed.

Reinforced concrete slab.

Would a 3/4" channel in a 6 or 8 inch thick slab weaken it enough to be a crack nexus?  It is a stress riser but I can't see it mattering given the insignificant load through that area.  There appears to have been virtually no settling of what the slab was built on.
View Quote

Not enough to matter.

It is the mess of the concrete dust that is usually the problem.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Most resi. slabs are 4" around here.   Even then you can cut into that deep enough to lay a 1/2" conduit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top