Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
Go to http://www.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-repair-guide.html

I prefer the slides instead of the video.

Things they say you need:

Skillshots inside info on what you really need:

Small Phillips Screwdriver. Bonus if you have an electric drill (for unscrewing only).

Anything small and plastic for prying. I used an old credit card.

Fine Point Tweezers

Electric Range

Small cup to put screws and small parts

Large cup to put larger electrical pieces

CLEAN surface. There's a lot of adhesive you want to preserve.

Use the electric range if you don't have a heat gun. Works the same. Don't drop it. I'm sure an oven could also work if you have a gas range.

The stock adhesive was still VERY sticky. No additional adhesive was necessary.

No special pry tools. Anything plastic and rigid will work.

Yep, smashed the snot out of it.

Now it's as good as new. Only had one screw left over. That's a lot better than after I finish working on my car.

These things work using the effects of quantum tunneling. Not bad for $99 shipped.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't do what my ex did and pry the lcd screen off as well. Easy glass repair turned into a new phone right quick.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand. This is an lcd screen replacement.

The glass, lcd screen, and digitizer all come together as one unit.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't read it all the way... You can replace just the glass if it breaks. You broke both I take it. Her lcd screen was working just fine, just had busted glass. She finished it off.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice.

Turned a $20 repair into a $100.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I swapped out a couple of S3 screens, but a friend tried to change his S4 and it did not go well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer to replace the LCD/glass as a unit.  Yes the glass can be replaced by itself but dealing with the LOCA glue can be tedious.  If done right and cured with a UV light the glass only replacement is great.  

-I know you broke the LCD as well, but I was just replying to earlier posts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Mother in law was upgrading her phone at Verizon and they told her they could not give her any trade value on her current phone (pretty new) because it had a crack in the screen.

They told her of a business that repaired them and she got it fixed and still made money on the trade in.

Her I-pad was cracked too so she had that fixed as well much cheaper than buying a new one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I swapped out a couple of S3 screens, but a friend tried to change his S4 and it did not go well.
View Quote

I have a screen kit for an S3 sitting at home, just haven't taken the time to swap it out.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a screen kit for an S3 sitting at home, just haven't taken the time to swap it out.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's pretty easy, especially if you have a real heat gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
How is a "real" heat gun better than my stove top?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is a "real" heat gun better than my stove top?
View Quote

I was comparing the heat gun to a hair dryer, guess I should have specified. I didn't know people have been using stovetops, not that I had a stove available when I popped of my first one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
So I dropped my Nexus 4 in the (clean!) toilet. It's been acting funny ever since. There are 2 horizontal areas where no touch registers, and it randomly goes insane registering touches all over the thing. Would replacing the digitizer fix it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not knowledgeable on troubleshooting things like this. However, just after a quick look on ebay, the whole touchscreen digitizer assembly is only $40.

You could try disassembling and drying it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top