Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2015 11:44:58 PM EDT
Every 3 years or so, the branch in my sewer line used by the kitchen sink will get clogged up.  It's obvious what's causing it - food and junk going down the disposer accumulating slowly until finally it's plugged up good.  When this happens, I have to spend a good 2 hours or so with my auger punching through the blockage.  I can't say for certain, but the last time this happened (a couple weeks ago) I think I could feel 3 distinct blockage areas.  Of course it could have been a bend in the pipe too, hard to say.

Anyway, is there something I could put down the drain maybe once a year to help clear that shit out of there?  My sewer line is 4" pvc, however I think the branch for the kitchen drain is a little smaller.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you (or wife) pouring grease down the drain? There really isn't anything you can use preventatively. Are the lines sloped correctly?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Stop using the garbage disposal?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some enzyme products you may use, sort of like what they recharge septic tanks with. It causes an active biological breakdown of the waste products. Put it in every month or so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
stop using the drain as a trash can and you'll be fine...... paper towel all grease , and no more food.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If the drain is galvanized pipe, they rust inside and the surface becomes rough and begins trapping trash.
Eventually, there is nothing but a small passage at the bottom of the pipe for water to pass.
My parents had this problem in their kitchen, and I replaced that drain with plastic and it ran like the Mississippi after that.
That was over 30 years ago, and that drain still flows fast.
If that drain is plastic you might be looking at an installation problem such as , several 90 degree turns, or not enough pitch.
You'd have to do a visual inspection to determine that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stop using the drain as a trash can and you'll be fine...... paper towel all grease , and no more food.
View Quote

This is correct since all that stuff is hard on a septic tank. A septic tank inspector for a county in NC once told me that if it doesn't come out of your body it shouldn't go in your septic system.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I know.  I've heard this many times before but I think trying to get the wife to stop is an exercise in futility.  Also I'm not on a septic system; municipal sewer line for me.

I may look into the septic tank enzymes though.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Consider buying powered drain snake.  They're only a few $100.  Used once per year, it will keep your sewer line clear.  If you don't have a clean out, put one in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is correct since all that stuff is hard on a septic tank. A septic tank inspector for a county in NC once told me that if it doesn't come out of your body it shouldn't go in your septic system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know.  I've heard this many times before but I think trying to get the wife to stop is an exercise in futility.  Also I'm not on a septic system; municipal sewer line for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will NOT work, the septic enzyme is made to stay in a tank, you dont hve a tank, it will just flush through the pipes, even if the pipe is clogged, the enzymes are not going to eat through within 24hrs
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This will NOT work, the septic enzyme is made to stay in a tank, you dont hve a tank, it will just flush through the pipes, even if the pipe is clogged, the enzymes are not going to eat through within 24hrs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are  products for the pipes, apart from use in a tank.

Note that these are for SLOW DRAINS, not totally clogged drains. There has to be a way for the enzymes to get to the clog.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Remove disposal and plumb in a regular drain.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take it out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let her clean it out till she gets the point.  It doesn't matter if it's septic or municipal, grease congeals in your lateral and in the main line and causes clogs.

Video of a clogged lateral.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let her clean it out till she gets the point.  It doesn't matter if it's septic or municipal, grease congeals in your lateral and in the main line and causes clogs.

http://youtu.be/jejDfHgFAsQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/jejDfHgFAsQ

Thats nasty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Agree with pulling the disposal. It removes the temptation to use the sink as a trashcan (insert AK-47 joke here).
Dumping a gallon or 2 of boiling water down the drain every month also helps.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you checked the pitch in the pipe if it is accessible.  Cant recall the standard but having to little will cause build up and having to much can also do the same as the water flows thru the pipe faster than any solids so they will sit in the middle of the run and cool off and get stuck.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Agree with pulling the disposal. It removes the temptation to use the sink as a trashcan (insert AK-47 joke here).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've done this once or twice, but my concern is can PVC drain pipe handle that temperature?  For example if there is a good clog in there and you pour in 200 degree water, it will sit against that clog.  Will that erode the pvc?  Because I'm thinking yes, since it's pvc and not cpvc.

Quoted:

Have you checked the pitch in the pipe if it is accessible.  Cant recall
the standard but having to little will cause build up and having to
much can also do the same as the water flows thru the pipe faster than
any solids so they will sit in the middle of the run and cool off and
get stuck.

I have no way of checking the pitch since the drain pipe is under a slab.  Once it's cleared out, everything drains just fine.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If the drain is galvanized pipe, they rust inside and the surface becomes rough and begins trapping trash.

Eventually, there is nothing but a small passage at the bottom of the pipe for water to pass.

My parents had this problem in their kitchen, and I replaced that drain with plastic and it ran like the Mississippi after that.

That was over 30 years ago, and that drain still flows fast.

If that drain is plastic you might be looking at an installation problem such as , several 90 degree turns, or not enough pitch.

You'd have to do a visual inspection to determine that.
View Quote

I have galvanized, and it doesn't even have the proper slope. I'm dreading having to replace it, which will be soon.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are some enzyme products you may use, sort of like what they recharge septic tanks with. It causes an active biological breakdown of the waste products. Put it in every month or so.
View Quote

It will probbaly work as well on the pipe as it does on a septic system.

Nothing at all.

Septic does not need "recharging."

The normal input has everything necessary to make it work just fine.

Clear the line and run some 'organic digester' though it.
It is low purity sulfuric acid.
Do NOT pour it in a GD.
Do NOT use more than recommended on the bottle.

Follow the directions EXACTLY.

If the pipes are rotted out (usually old galvanize) it may produce leaks.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have you checked the pitch in the pipe if it is accessible.  Cant recall the standard but having to little will cause build up and having to much can also do the same as the water flows thru the pipe faster than any solids so they will sit in the middle of the run and cool off and get stuck.
View Quote

Quarter inch drop per linear foot is what you want.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I've done this once or twice, but my concern is can PVC drain pipe handle that temperature? For example if there is a good clog in there and you pour in 200 degree water, it will sit against that clog. Will that erode the pvc? Because I'm thinking yes, since it's pvc and not cpvc.
View Quote

PVC starts to decompose when the temperature reaches 140 °C, with melting temperature starting around 160 °C. The linear expansion coefficient of rigid PVC is small and has good flame retardancy, the Limiting oxygen index (LOI) being up to 45 or more.
View Quote

Attrib link

Hmph. Lots lower than I'd have believed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nothing at all.

Normally, no, but many people abuse their systems by putting chemicals that do not play well with septic systems. They DO need to be "rebooted."

Do NOT pour it in a GD.

AND be prepared for a skunky odor!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing at all.

Normally, no, but many people abuse their systems by putting chemicals that do not play well with septic systems. They DO need to be "rebooted."

Do NOT pour it in a GD.

AND be prepared for a skunky odor!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top