Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 5:27:18 PM EDT
lol.. What is the concensus on screws versus nails, or does it depend on application?

Lets talk DIY shed, simple 8 x 8 shed, plywood floor/sides and 2x4 studs, floor joist and rafters with concrete footers & metal roof.  

Are nails stronger?

Do screws stay in better?

Ease of installation? Nail gun versus impact wrench or drill.

Longer lasting? (i guess this would depend on the type of screw or nail.) but lets assume property coated screws/nails for each application (roof, floor, studs, exterior wall)

Cost factor? Nail gun and 2000pc nails can run 200-300bux, but what is a box of screws? 30-40bux maybe.

Thoughts
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nails easier to install; screws take some more effort. At least with my DIY toolkit.

Screws for high traffic areas, where boards are likely to shift or flex. Feels like over time, nails will loosen and you get the squeaky floors. Screws are probably less susceptible to that kinda stuff.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
8x8 shed, the labor of using screws instead of a nail gun isn't that big of a difference, a house, barn or similar building a nail gun is essential.

If building more projects are in your future purchase a nail gun, depending on the type unless you already have a compressor and hoses factor that into the cost.

I just helped build a two story barn with my old Paslode Power Master Plus, the idea of using screws makes me cringe.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the property im getting has a compressor, ill see what condition its in. But I seen both Lowes and HD have compressor/nail gun kits for like 200bux. I think it would be a decent investment as I do see more projects in the future.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I like screws.  Things hold tighter and yet can be disassembled if needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the application. Screws have superior holding strength but generally poorer shear strength.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
meh you can build a shed with a hammer
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on the application. Screws have superior holding strength but generally poorer shear strength.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Nails for framing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Cost is also a factor. When I build decks its screws and bolts all the way. When I built some trays for my chicken coop I just nailed it together. Also, cheapass screws will rust pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep

Nails for framing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Nails for framing.

Screws snap(brittle), Nails bend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the right answer...

I'm not up on building codes all over the country, but I was watching Holmes on Homes or some-such a few years ago, he was re-doing a house in California (earth-quake considerations must be made). He mentioned that he much prefers the holding strength of screws, but codes dictate that for framing at least 2 nails must be used in each end of a stud because of the shear strength. I'm not sure if that was only a local/state code, but I really liked his solution to the conflict. His solution was 2 nails to satisfy code and 1 large construction screw between the nails to help with holding things together tightly.

FWIW, don't buy drywall screws for construction, they shear very easily (much more brittle). Look for a dedicated construction screw, they have a much higher shear strength and a better corrosion resistance (cad plating I think). I use the crap out of construction screws. As a matter of fact, I built my shed entirely of construction screws vs. nails (portable sheds aren't a problem with building codes here).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Screws all the way.  I haven't used a construction nail in years.

I like these Star flat head screws, no need for pilot hole and the bit doesn't slip:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/DeckMate-10-3-in-Star-Flat-Head-Wood-Deck-Screws-5-lb-Pack-115671/204811920?N=5yc1vZc2b0Z1z12l90

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Nails for framing.

You used the wrong screws.

The biggest issue is that you need screws with a cross section approaching a 16 d nail.

Drywall screws are hardened and will snap.
Non-hardened screws can match nails, but you have to watch the root diameter.

You want a drill-driver that stops driving based on screw depth NOT torque.

See McFeeley's if you want decent strength wood screws.
Root diameter remaining is the big strength determining factor.

And even screws are far lower in tension, though nails count as ZERO for structural.
A 16d in 2x SPF is at least 300 pounds per nail in shear.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top