Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 2:13:30 PM EDT
Does anyone make a single handle shower/tub control valve without that "anti scald" safety bullshit anymore?

I hate the damn things. I remodeled a bath 3 years ago. The new shower control sucks big hairy donkey balls.

I have the adjustment as far as it can go and still can't get a good hot shower. The cold water has to run wide open before the hot water valve even opens. I had to put a restrictor orifice in the shower head to slow the flow so we wouldn't run out of hot water if anyone takes a shower more than two minutes long, and I have a new 50 gallon gas water heater. Not to mention the damn thing leaks. I have replaced the seals twice already, and it is in there dripping now.

I just want a plain old control valve that the amount you lift it controls the volume of water and how far which direction you turn it controls the temp. That way I can turn it on at a low flow and take a long steaming hot shower without doubling my gas bill and overloading my septic system.

This morning I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and all the new single handle valves have this same bullshit.

I still have the old valve out in the shed. If I can't get a new one, I guess I can dig it out of the "shit I should throw away, but might someday be useful" pile and see if it has survived three winters without bursting. It was working fine when I took it out. Maybe it just needs some new o-rings and seals and will be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be unsafe. Surrender to your overlords comrade.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Old fashioned 3 knob.  Hot, diverter, cold.  I can boil puppies in the tub if I want to.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Hansgrohe thrmoballance, the faucet has override to make things hotter. Just push the temp control in and rotate to hotter setting.

I know they stopped pushing thermoballance, you could check on their new units if they have the same control.

Thermoballance i
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old fashioned 3 knob.  Hot, diverter, cold.  I can boil puppies in the tub if I want to.  
View Quote

That's what I should have done to begin with. Unfortunately, I already have the big hole in the shower wall about a foot too high for that. I would have to either repair the hole or replace the tub/shower unit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have an electric water heater?

If so you may have a bad heating element in it.  Most take two of them and if memory serves me correct when the lower one goes out it creates the symptoms you are describing with short hot water supply.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Two year old 50 gallon gas water heater and it works fine. I could sterilize surgical instruments in my sinks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a single handle shower/tub control valve without that "anti scald" safety bullshit anymore?

View Quote

In the old days, yes. Today, I 'm not certain after using google...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
This may or may not help

http://www.ehow.com/how_12141824_adjusting-antiscald-shower-valve.html

Also saw some You Tube videos in the search link

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=how+to+adjust+the+anti+scald+valve&fr=chr-ver
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You want a moentrol valve
In/out is volume & left /right is hot/cold
Just set the temperature limit behind the handle to very hot

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two year old 50 gallon gas water heater and it works fine. I could sterilize surgical instruments in my sinks.
View Quote

This could be your problem.  It so hot, the valve is shutting it down. Try a lower setting on hot water heater.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the day off, so I fixed it today.

I took the new POS valve out and put the old one in.

I can now enjoy a hot shower and boil puppies in the tub.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top