Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
I've been getting quotes and ideas from local installers. I have a small just under 800sq ft house and want to get rid of window units.  I've thought of mini splits but come out too expensive for multiple rooms. So I'm leaning towards central heat/air gas pack.

The smallest I can go with a split system is 1.5 ton unit. Still Slightly oversized. 2 ton is lowest in a combo unit. An installer today suggested that a close to perfect solution would be a 15 seer two speed compressor gas pack.

The idea is that since it is oversized it will stay on low speed most of the time, saving on energy costs, and for longer run time to dehumidify the air. Then on the plus side the few times we have abnormally hot or cold days, the system can run on high and maintain temps better.

Also the 15 seer rating is supposedly required because the ratings have to be figured by law at the top speed. So in reality running on low is around a 16-18 seer.

That would be sweet if that's how it would work. My question is, is this an honest sales pitch? Will I really benefit from this kind of unit, or is it really just an upsell from a standard single speed gas pack?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Why just 2 speeds?
Why not more?

Look at invertor driven compressor.

Trane has one for the standard unit  or look at the mini splits.

The electric company may have rebates for mini splits

Check here for available rebates in your area
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
J
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why just 2 speeds?
Why not more?

Look at invertor driven compressor.

Trane has one for the standard unit  or look at the mini splits.

The electric company may have rebates for mini splits

Check here for available rebates in your area
View Quote

The mini splits are out of the question. It's what I want, but the cost is too high to do four rooms. The wife wants a constant same temp throughout the house. We are tired of having only sections of the house being warm or cold.

The installer also recommended Mitsubishi mini splits, but the cost was $4000 for a one room unit with installation. I can do the gas pack with all new duct work for $6500. There's no existing duct work.

That includes hard duct with insulation and not the slinky looking flex.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What he is telling you is true.

I have a Mitsubishi air handler hanging from the joists in my basement.  It hangs down about 8 inches and I can still walk under it.  It ties into one of their inverter driven heat pumps.  I think the largest air handler is 18k BTU, which is 1.5 tons.  Just something else for you to look into.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask about the multi zone units. You can have one outdoor unit and up to 8 indoors depending on the size of unit you need
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top