Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2015 11:55:22 PM EDT
Ok DIYers, I've got an outside the box question for you.  More like a homeownership & friendly neighbors question.

I live in a townhouse community. My home is a middle unit. On either side of me I have elderly women who do not work, as you may guess this leads two them having significant free time to bitch about the state of my house, while they garden 3-4 days per week. One of my neighbors goes to Thailand every winter for five months to avoid the cold in suburban Washington DC.

Our townhomes are two levels in the front and three levels in the back with a walk out basement due to the grading of the land. The community is approximately 30 years old. A few weeks ago my other neighbor paid some jamoke to clean her gutters. I find this interesting because even though the community is established we have no trees tall enough to drop leaves into our gutters. After the $90 dollar gutter cleaning special (for 30 linear feet of gutter), my neighbor has been pestering me that her unlicensed gutter cleaner told her that my gutters are spilling water on to her back patio. Since she doesn't work, she waits for me to leave in the morning when am trying to be a productive member of society, and tells me I need to get my gutters fixed. I have looked at the gutters from ground level when it is sunny and when it is raining and I see no issues with my gutters.

My question is, since I do not want to get on a ladder three stories above solid earth, is do I pay somebody to look at my gutters, or do I told this old bag to pound sand?

Bottom line is I don't trust my neighbor's judgement, and my guess is the gutter cleaner is trying to drum up business.  Her complaint boils down to her patio is getting wet, from rain.  I have never seen her on her back patio and I have lived here for 2+ years.

I will be living next to this woman for the foreseeable future.  She often bitches when my grass is 4" long that I need to cut it.  She is genuinely a crabby old bitty.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Next time its raining hard as shit, knock on her door and ask her to go outside and show you.  Or tell her to fuck off.  Old people are a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Pick a time when she's gone for a couple of days.
When she gets back, tell her you had someone check them out and they were fine.
Probably be better if you can find a time when neighbors are both gone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next time its raining hard as shit, knock on her door and ask her to go outside and show you.  Or tell her to fuck off.  Old people are a pain in the ass.
View Quote

Oh, she was more than willing to ambush me last night, when it was raining, when I got home from work to try and show me.  I told her I wasn't going to look right then and there because she demanded I do so.  

She also left a note on my door during the day.  I've been so enraged with this woman's actions that I haven't even read the note.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell the neighbor thanks for her concern, you will address it in the spring when the weather is better.  See if there is a living social or Amazon local special for gutter cleaning, I wouldn't trust her guy and don't let her ruin your life.  Return the note unopened.

Quoted:

Oh, she was more than willing to ambush me last night, when it was raining, when I got home from work to try and show me.  I told her I wasn't going to look right then and there because she demanded I do so.  

She also left a note on my door during the day.  I've been so enraged with this woman's actions that I haven't even read the note.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell the neighbor thanks for her concern, you will address it in the spring when the weather is better.  See if there is a living social or Amazon local special for gutter cleaning, I wouldn't trust her guy and don't let her ruin your life.  Return the note unopened.
View Quote

I'll check amazon local and living social/groupon.  She's gotten me once before work and once after work in the last two weeks, plus two days where she's knocked on my door after I got home from work.  I didn't answer the door either time, because I didn't want to deal with her.

I have the feeling that if her concern was more than water on her patio I'd have heard from the HOA or an insurance company.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok DIYers, I've got an outside the box question for you.  More like a homeownership & friendly neighbors question.

I live in a townhouse community. My home is a middle unit. On either side of me I have elderly women who do not work, as you may guess this leads two them having significant free time to bitch about the state of my house, while they garden 3-4 days per week. One of my neighbors goes to Thailand every winter for five months to avoid the cold in suburban Washington DC.

Our townhomes are two levels in the front and three levels in the back with a walk out basement due to the grading of the land. The community is approximately 30 years old. A few weeks ago my other neighbor paid some jamoke to clean her gutters. I find this interesting because even though the community is established we have no trees tall enough to drop leaves into our gutters. After the $90 dollar gutter cleaning special (for 30 linear feet of gutter), my neighbor has been pestering me that her unlicensed gutter cleaner told her that my gutters are spilling water on to her back patio. Since she doesn't work, she waits for me to leave in the morning when am trying to be a productive member of society, and tells me I need to get my gutters fixed. I have looked at the gutters from ground level when it is sunny and when it is raining and I see no issues with my gutters.

My question is, since I do not want to get on a ladder three stories above solid earth, is do I pay somebody to look at my gutters, or do I told this old bag to pound sand?

Bottom line is I don't trust my neighbor's judgement, and my guess is the gutter cleaner is trying to drum up business.  Her complaint boils down to her patio is getting wet, from rain.  I have never seen her on her back patio and I have lived here for 2+ years.

I will be living next to this woman for the foreseeable future.  She often bitches when my grass is 4" long that I need to cut it.  She is genuinely a crabby old bitty.
View Quote

Get up on a ladder and check it yourself. Take pictures while you are at it.

Old ladies can be obnoxious, BUT they are second only to dogs as awesome security.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#8]
$90 to avoid all the shit you are describing sounds like a fair deal to me.

Take it as an opportunity to talk to her.  Spend an hour to hear her out.  Have a cup of tea.  Describe your situation, too (working all the time).

Wouldn't it be funny if your gutters were clear, too?

Wouldn't it be even funnier if hers were still dirty?  

If it were me, I'd go up the ladder just to find out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a drone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask her for a formal written statement from the company that told her there was something wrong with your gutters.  Then if you feel fit get another companies input and compare.  In my opinion, don't spend a dime of your money to fix something that likely isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell her you are going to file an harassment complaint on her if she come by or leaves another note
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Old ladies can be obnoxious, BUT they are second only to dogs as awesome security.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FOOL!

Use this as an excuse to buy a drone copter with a camera on it and video the state of the gutter, AND her gutter.

Demonstrate she got shafted for the $90 and keep a cool toy (and get her to switch to worrying about you videoing in her windows, old ladies have all sorts of fantasies about how much people want to see them naked. )
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow man, your neighbor(s) suck! I can't wait until spring up here - I moved in the 1st of December and haven't even SEEN my neighbors yet. I thought I was moving into a neighborhood of young families based on all the young kid plays scapes and toys in everyone's backyard. Turns out they are for the grandkids! They are gonna love it when I spend my evenings in the summer welding and wood working.

As for your gutter issue, I'd tell your neighbor that you do not feel there is an issue; that you think her gutter guy is full of BS and taking advantage of her; but if she is so worried about it you will call a professional, bonded and insured company out to inspect both your and her gutters. If the professionals indicate that your gutters are not dripping on her shit (if they recommend a cleaning or not) then she will have to pay for their inspection. Further, I'd tell her you do not appreciate they way she is handling the issue and feel harassed, and if she continues to address this and any other issues in such a manner you will file a complaint.

OR if you have an association, tell them (in writing) what is going on. In my last home, the association would fine people for not using licensed contractors. One of my neighbors used to do similar crap, but only in whined to the association -not me. One of their complaints was that my laundry equipment vibrated bad enough that it loosened wires in their outlets (my laundry did not share a wall, and the only wall we shared was the main wet wall for the building and about 2' wide) they paid Jimmy the elektishon to fix... Association was like, "Thats nice, you owe us $600 for using unlicensed hacks."
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
So we've established that old lady is annoying.

Did I miss the part where OP determined that there was no problem to fix? He needs to figure out what she's complaining about before blowing her off, no?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Valley overshooting the gutter?

How else would water from gutters on HIS unit end up on HER unit?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So we've established that old lady is annoying.

Did I miss the part where OP determined that there was no problem to fix? He needs to figure out what she's complaining about before blowing her off, no?
View Quote

I just got home and went out back to look, again.  I don't see anything out of the ordinary.  

My biggest complaint is I don't feel the need to hire somebody to go up 40' in the air and look at my gutters based upon the ramblings of a 75+ year old woman who can't articulate anything beyond her uncovered patio is getting wet.

We have a very active (borderline militant) HOA here, who would have sent me something if there were something I need to correct, or if she had talked to them.  Instead, I have to trust that my neighbor can accurately explain what an unlicensed gutter cleaner told her was wrong with my gutters.  Every time she has talked to me, it is my gutters that need to be fixed because her patio is getting wet.  That's all the information I have.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Just for a second suppose she is right, that there is an issue.   Tell her you will get someone to come out.  If they find a problem, you will fix it.  If there is no problem, she pays for the visit.  

ETA:  I am suprised the HOA doesn't have someone who would do it free of charge.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Get up there and check the gutters or hire a different contractor to check them.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get up there and check the gutters or hire a different contractor to check them.  
View Quote

I will likely get a different contractor to go up and look/clean the gutters.  What I won't do is take a day off of work right now because my neighbor has a bee in her bonnet.  

I am going to write the HOA and let them know the situation, and ask if they have any recommendations for legitimate gutter contractors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Old nosey neighbors are always good to have around, even if they are bothersome at some time.  

A broken clock is right twice a day and your opinion from the ground, with little gutter experience has as much validity as he unlicensed contractor.  She may be annoying, but you are just as annoying by avoiding the issue and her, instead of being mature, discussing it and trying to be the better neighbor.  She even tried to GE you to look when it was raining and you blew her off.  

Maybe she tried to do you a favor by not going to the board, who can write you a letter and force you to use their contractors or make you pay for a inspection anyways, using their folks, at a higher rate.  Instead of having it solved by having a contractor come out in the past week, you just kicked the can down the road accomplishing nothing.

I value my personal time, reputation and neighbors.  If $100 would save me from somebody annoying me who I know could make my life miserable and complain to the board, I would pay the $100.  If I had a conversation with her, I bet I could have got her to pick a guy from my list and agree that we will both be present, and if they find nothing wrong, we at least split the bill.....and if something was wrong, agree to have it promptly repaired and thank her for her patience.  

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.  Especially when it comes to dealing with the elderly and neighbors.  One day you might be that douche elderly neighbor nobody will listen too!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had a ladder tall enough to get up to the roof I'd just go up on the roof and check myself...and while I'm at it I'd ask her and the other neighbor if they'd want me to check theirs too while I'm up there.  And if the annoying neighbor still persisted in saying water was spilling onto her property I'd want to see proof first hand before doing anything.  

Though if I were you I'd probably let the HOA know she was using an unlicensed contractor sooner than later, and that she's harassing you.  Generally speaking, and the same goes for divorce, the one who gets there first usually ends up the winner.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will likely get a different contractor to go up and look/clean the gutters.  What I won't do is take a day off of work right now because my neighbor has a bee in her bonnet.  

I am going to write the HOA and let them know the situation, and ask if they have any recommendations for legitimate gutter contractors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I have heard about HOA's, I would not invite them into my life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Take it as an opportunity to talk to her.  Spend an hour to hear her out.  Have a cup of tea.  Describe your situation, too (working all the time).
View Quote

Yea, be nice the old gal. Never know when she might pop out her teeth and offer you a BJ
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yea, be nice the old gal. Never know when she might pop out her teeth and offer you a BJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  I thought I'd avoid these types of comments if I didn't post it in GD!

Glad there are a few of you with jokes in here!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#25]
As grandpa Simpson said "God lets us grow old so we can find fault with everything in his world" sounds like she watched the same episode.  Anywho is there a way for you to turn it around and bitch about something she's doing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As grandpa Simpson said "God lets us grow old so we can find fault with everything in his world" sounds like she watched the same episode.  Anywho is there a way for you to turn it around and bitch about something she's doing?
View Quote

Not quite at the start a sh*tstorm point yet.  Step 1 is get this issue resolved.  Step 2 is never deal with it again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, boundaries are being crossed, you need to tell this woman to duck right off and if she doesn't like that tough, don't be afraid to get angry, she is already a pain in the ass so don't be afraid to offend her.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I'd tell her I'm evaluating contractors to do the job, and that it will take a while for me to process the list.  Then I'd blow her off for about 2 weeks for annoying me.   After that I'd see what I can find out but I don't push well and someone like that would get pushback.

I do like the drone Idea though. I think I'd start w/ that after her two week timeout.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, she came and knocked on my door again this afternoon 10 minutes after I got home from work.  I looked out the window, saw it was her and went back to watching TV.  Later, when I went out to coach a hockey game she tried getting to her door to talk to me.  I could see her in her window, but I wasn't going to wait for her.  

I've put up a thread in VAHTF asking if they have any recommendations for gutter cleaners.  I plan on calling one this week and setting up an appointment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

I installed a steel roof.   The old fuck across the street didnt like it and bitched.   I told him that I would be happy to install shingles if he wanted to pay for it twice over.

Offer to let your neighbor to pay you to clean the gutters,  and for gutter helmets to prevent the problem from happening again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you started the thread, you seemed to be looking for atypical approaches.  Honestly, IMO, you are getting a lot of advice to take some very negative actions likely to lead to a downward spiral in the relationship rather than developing "friendly neighbors".  I see that as "more of the same" and "deep inside the box" as opposed to "out of the box".

Build bridges, don't burn them.

No doubt about it, she is crabby.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
You do know that the gravel on roofing shingles eventually ends up in the gutters clogging them.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have someine clean them, even if its only to get the gravel out.

The roof should have been redone once already in thirty years...unless of course your roof is not of the shingle variety.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You do know that the gravel on roofing shingles eventually ends up in the gutters clogging them.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have someine clean them, even if its only to get the gravel out.

The roof should have been redone once already in thirty years...unless of course your roof is not of the shingle variety.
View Quote

I have never seen the fine rock from shingles clog  up a gutter you must have some very small gutters if you have this problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'll check amazon local and living social/groupon.  She's gotten me once before work and once after work in the last two weeks, plus two days where she's knocked on my door after I got home from work.  I didn't answer the door either time, because I didn't want to deal with her.

I have the feeling that if her concern was more than water on her patio I'd have heard from the HOA or an insurance company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did she care about it, or have a problem before the gutter guy told her that your gutters were causing an issue?

If not, then there is no issue.   Proceed with life.

I'm typically of the mindset that "90 bucks to call in a gutter guy and clean shit up is well worth it to make the problem go away", but in this case I suspect that it would only empower your neighbor, and she would move on to some other complaint.    To that end, you are probably better off ignoring the gutter complaint and letting her focus on that, rather than coming at you every week with a new complaint.

I believe in going the extra mile to be a good neighbor.   But some people were born shitty, and will always be a pain in the ass.  Trying to appease them is a losing battle, and not worth the calories you would spend.  

If you are really enraged, get some window-markers, and draw dicks on her patio door.  That will take her focus off of your gutters for a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Give her something else to worry about, like that neighbor on the other side of her who is "growing meth in their garden".
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the roof redone in Spring 2013.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did she care about it, or have a problem before the gutter guy told her that your gutters were causing an issue?

I'm typically of the mindset that "90 bucks to call in a gutter guy and clean shit up is well worth it to make the problem go away", but in this case I suspect that it would only empower your neighbor, and she would move on to some other complaint.    To that end, you are probably better off ignoring the gutter complaint and letting her focus on that, rather than coming at you every week with a new complaint.

I believe in going the extra mile to be a good neighbor.   But some people were born shitty, and will always be a pain in the ass.  Trying to appease them is a losing battle, and not worth the calories you would spend.  

If you are really enraged, get some window-markers, and draw dicks on her patio door.  That will take her focus off of your gutters for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nary a peep until the gutter cleaner came out a few weeks ago.  Though, it is possible something has come loose in 30 years that I can't see from ground level.

Living between two older single females, I have tried to be a good neighbor.  I don't have loud parties, smoke, etc.  In the winter I shovel their sidewalks and the walk to their front doors, sometimes put down salt.  

I have contacted a few companies, and once they take a look I'll have more info.  If they say nothing is wrong, I will let her know, and that I also consider the issue resolved.  

My gut reaction is she finally realized that our gutters don't line up.  In the below picture, pretend I'm the inner unit, and my roof line extends 3 feet beyond hers.  Is it possible rain runs off my roof and onto her concrete slab for the door in her backyard?  Maybe.  If that's the gist of the complaint, I can't do anything about it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Give her something else to worry about, like that neighbor on the other side of her who is "growing meth in their garden".
View Quote

They're a nice young couple, with a kid.  I don't want to slander them, they're good people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When you started the thread, you seemed to be looking for atypical approaches.  Honestly, IMO, you are getting a lot of advice to take some very negative actions likely to lead to a downward spiral in the relationship rather than developing "friendly neighbors".  I see that as "more of the same" and "deep inside the box" as opposed to "out of the box".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half the fun is listening to how creatively people can burn bridges!  

With my HOA, I need neighbor signatures for most stuff I do to the outside of my house.  If I want to take out the crappy tree and replace it, need her signature.  If I want to build a garden wall to define a planting bed for the azaleas I want to plant this spring, need her signature.  If I want to replace my windows, need her signature.  Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

With my HOA, I need neighbor signatures for most stuff I do to the outside of my house.  If I want to take out the crappy tree and replace it, need her signature.  If I want to build a garden wall to define a planting bed for the azaleas I want to plant this spring, need her signature.  If I want to replace my windows, need her signature.  Fun stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time she shows up, take her picture.
Once you have enough, create a POF account for her.
She just needs a man to occupy her time...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a "drone" and a go-pro and get a video of your gutters from above?  Hey, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy tools/toys!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know how the the guy she hired would know your gutter spilled onto her patio unles it was raining while he was there.

Gutters are pretty simple, they direct water, downhill preferably.

We understand your neighbor is being a bitch, but go out the next time it's raining and check to see if your gutter is working properly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:16:10 AM EDT
[#44]
throw a football/volleyball/basketball on her roof.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like its time to employ the old "Send out a be on the look-out for gutter scam " trick. Send a letter to her and a couple of other neighbors stating reports of possible scamer's soliciting work in the area. I did this for my sister w/ the same type of neighbor in an attached twin house.I sent some official looking type of non existing agency letterhead that I found online, spent a couple of dollars is stamps and 5 or so letters and issue faded away. Oh, my sister didn't know I was doing this.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Just noticed the user name. George would have definitely employed this trick and written it from from the comfort of is under desk bed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have never seen the fine rock from shingles clog  up a gutter you must have some very small gutters if you have this problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it... Gutter installer for the last 14 years.

What it does is it hits a slow spot, such as a miter or where a broad leaf, sticks, or combination thereof hinders the smooth flow. However, this is usually after a hailstorm or roof replacement.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience is that roofers leave all kinds of debris when removing the existing material, using the gutter as their very own  crap catcher. There may be cut or broken material clogging your outlet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
throw a football/volleyball/basketball on her roof.
View Quote

Tennis balls are moar craptastic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Figured I owed y'all a update/ending on the situation.

I had a fellow ARFCOM member (Nubbins) come out and take a look.  Bottom line, he's the man.  

He fixed the slope on my gutters, cleaned out the downspout, and talked to my neighbor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top