Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 8:52:01 PM EDT
How hard is it to change out a single breaker?  Please describe in detail with pictures if possible. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a couple of vids on Youtube.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn off power
Remove all wires from panel
Unscrew panel from wall
install new panel
Install all wires back into panel
Turn power back on
Sell a house that isn't going to burn down in the middle of the night.

I'm being a little sarcastic, but those things are unsafe.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they give me the skeevies. Plus its a pain in the ass to find parts for.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Not too hard to change just one out.  You need to shut off the main breaker though because the breakers are screwed to the bus bar.  Just verify power is indeed off to the bus before putting a screwdriver to it.  The pushmatics are known for sticking and being generally junk.  I had them in my whole house until I did a service upgrade and still have 4 in a ultra small sub-panal.  Though they did sell well on ebay for being used...crazy what people will buy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too hard to change just one out.  You need to shut off the main breaker though because the breakers are screwed to the bus bar.  Just verify power is indeed off to the bus before putting a screwdriver to it.  The pushmatics are known for sticking and being generally junk.  I had them in my whole house until I did a service upgrade and still have 4 in a ultra small sub-panal.  Though they did sell well on ebay for being used...crazy what people will buy.
View Quote

The much older ones do not have the problems of newer ones.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
That makes sense, the house was built in 1964.  I never had any issues with them but when I saw the carbon arching marks on the bus bars on removal it was probably good timing...
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Old Bulldog/Pushomatic breakers and panels are great. I've seen them last a long time. That said, replacing failed 240v breakers isn't worth it. Better to have the panel changed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top