Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 10:56:11 PM EDT
At my in-laws house and they asked me to fix a leaking p trap in the guest bathroom.  It is leaking at the top of the J tube.  The drain pipe from the sink is 1 1/4 " pipe and the J pipe is 1 1/2".  Therefore, I put a step down compression ring to seal the J pipe and drain pipe.  It still leaks out the top after trying multiple compression rings.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
sometimes you have to use two in that joint sort of stacked. It seemed odd to me but it worked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
At my in-laws house and they asked me to fix a leaking p trap in the guest bathroom.  It is leaking at the top of the J tube.  The drain pipe from the sink is 1 1/4 " pipe and the J pipe is 1 1/2".  Therefore, I put a step down compression ring to seal the J pipe and drain pipe.  It still leaks out the top after trying multiple compression rings.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

double check to make sure it isn't coming from above

metal trap or plastic?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
plummer putty
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Duct tape?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
What has worked for me in the past is to get a wax ring for a toilet, coat the threads and contact points with the wax and reassemble.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Seals in the correct direction?

The flat side goes against the screw on fitting.
The tapered side between the slip pipes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of the home centers are selling the adaptor seals that are a fairly hard, whitish translucent plastic. I had your same problem, until I got some red soft rubber seals (I think from lowes?). Sealed it right up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Replace the whole assembly from sink to wall with 1 1/4 A kit should be under 10$ The wall marvel can be changed from 1 1/2 to 1 and 1 1/4  for a correct fit of they make a plastic ring that is thicker which will accept the 1/4 pipe into a 1/2 opening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top